UK Rabbit Disease Outbreaks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturestee

Reaction score
I just saw the news on another forum- there have been outbreaks of myxomatosis in Malden and Danur, and VHD has been reported in Essex.

Unlike in the US, vaccinations are available for both myxi and VHD in the UK. These have to be updated regularly. Please make sure that your rabbits are up to date with their vaccinations. Rabbits can contract the diseases even if they are kept indoors.

I'll try to get a link or more info, and I'll bump this post up if I get new info.

Thanks for this. Myxi has been very bad in the UK this past year. Pernod and Perry are vaccinated, but my vet advised a 6 monthly myxi booster instead of a yearly one, because it is so bad,so they are going in soon.

Jan

A quick update- Animal Rescue and Care, a UK rescue, has been informed of a number of myxi cases in the TW12/Bushey Park area of Middlesex.

I've just got an update from the Rabbit Welfare Association that new cases of myxi have been reported in Newcastle(where I live :() and mid Glamorgan in Wales. They are recommending 6monthly vaccinations, which, fortunately Pernod and Perry have.

Jan

You're welcome, Jess. I actually got a flyer from my vets a few days ago (which i was quite impressed about, as they are obviously sending them to all their 'Bunny Patients')about the importance of having rabbits vaccinated,so I guess they are being extra cautious too. Give ruby and Millie kisses from me :)

Jan

Geez, that's a lot of myxi outbreaks.:? I hope everyone is keeping their rabbits up to date on the shots.

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Here's some vaccine info: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/vaccination.asp

If you're in the UK then you need to vaccinate.

I don't think there are any areas that are myxi free (well maybe a few remote scottish islands) as it spreads like wildfire through the wild population. Myxi is spread by blood sucking insects like fleas and flies so anywhere you can get them you can get myxi - that means even house rabbits are at risk. Urban areas aren't safe either, urban foxes,hedgehogs, cats, dogs all carry fleas and flies can travel miles.

Many people get caught out because they don't think they're in an area that's a risk... first they know about it their rabbits are infected and need putting sleep.

VHD is even more deadly, first you'll find out about it is when your healthy rabbit is dead in it's hutch. There are virtually no symptoms,your bun might seem a little off colour or even be perfectly normal but they die within 48 hours of being infected... there is no treatment.It's very contagious, spread by touch so you walk in a field, brush again someone in a pet shop with infected rabbits... you can bring it home on your shoes or clothing. It can survive 3 months without a host.

The trouble with VHD is with no symptoms and rapid death it's very rarely reported as VHD - you can only detect it via a post mortum. That means a lot of VHD cases are just written off as a surprise death. It's only when a rabbit owner with multiple rabbits that die it becomes apparent. One rabbit owner in Scotland lost 10 of her babies in a few weeks, she had to go out each morning dreading finding who had died that night.

Don't let anyone, your vet included, tell you vaccination is not necessary in your area.

I got an email from the Rabbit Welfare Association saying there are reports of myxi outbreaks in

Essex

�Lincolnshire

�Cambridge

�Kent

�Bedfordshire :(

PernodandPerry will bw having their 6 monthly vaccination soon,as well as their yearly VHD one.

Jan

Latest posts

Back