Ugggh. I hate this!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BabyBailey

Reaction score
:Xk. So she isn't exactly my mother-in-law, yet. But she wont leave me alone like she already is. My boyfriend and I are getting a new apt and hmm, whats this? your mom wont leave us alone about absolutley everything? Great. We had a falling out about a month ago and luckilyI havent seen her since. But now that we are moving in a month she wants to buy EVERYTHING for the apt. that I said I personally wanted to pick out.Towels, silverware, glasses, bed spread & sheets,you know, the stuff thats ok to be picky about. But she wants to get it. Why she cant just get the microwave and mini vacuum... I dont know. But she made me so unexcited to go shopping for stuff that I just said "Fine. Get whatever you want". I know the colors wont match. and she will purposly buy the ugliest thing ever just despite me. And the best is that my boyfriend is so oblivious and thinks his mom is just 'trying to help' so, he is actually annoyed with me and saying i'm over reacting. I don't know. What do you all think?

Can your BF suggest to her that the 2 of you would like to take your time picking out what you will live with? If she really wants to spend the money, perhaps she can purchase gift certificates for the 2 of you to use when you feel like shopping. Sorry, your future MIL sounds very controlling. If she does buy you personal items you can't stand, perhaps you can wait a bit and thenquietly sell them at a friends garage sale and buy what is to your taste.

My MIL used to bring us hideous stuff and her favorite saying for dumping her junk on us was 'well it's too good to put out for the trash men'.... It all ended up trashed or donated to Good Will. The rug story... these rugs she brought us were so ugly, I couldn't even give them away free at a garage sale.

First of all, what if she really is trying to help - maybe to show that she's over the whole argument thing in the past? She probably has the money to be able to do things to help.

Here are some suggestions...

• Ask for her to give you gift cards for the stores you like and you can pick out what you both want (at your leisure)
  • Do a gift registry thing at the stores you want and ask her to buy from the lists.
  • Ask her for a prepaid credit card that you can use to buy the items with. I know Walmart carries prepaid credit cards that are Visa or Mastercard.
  • Ask for cash that you'll put aside just for apartment purchases.
Just some ideas that can be a "win/win" situation for you both - where she feels like she is helping - yet you're getting what you both would like.

seniorcats wrote:
My MIL used to bring us hideous stuff and her favorite saying for dumping her junk on us was 'well it's too good to put out for the trash men'.... It all ended up trashed or donated to Good Will. The rug story... these rugs she brought us were so ugly, I couldn't even give them away free at a garage sale.
That sounds like my Grandmother! They have HORRIBLE taste. That really old stuffy Grandparenty style. My Gran said to my Mum one day 'what do you think of this vase?' My Mum, of course, says 'Oh its lovely!' (Blergh! Its freakin' hideous!). Next birthday, guess what my Mum got!

It went on and on, until one day my Gran asked her 'what do you think about these glass flowers?' My Mum said 'I don't like them'. She said 'Oh, thats a shame, I bought them for you for Christmas!'

Lesson learnt!

I think you should tell your mother-in-law to be that you would really appreciate her either helping you (OK so you might have to wander around a department store with her but at least you get what you want?) or would she give you some vouchers. At the end of the day, if you do have to go shopping with her, and she picks up something you don't like, just play her at her own game and say 'No I don't want that' and be as stubborn as her.

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

personally let her buy whatever she wants you doesnt mean that you have to use it and if she ever says something you can just say that they are nice but didnt really go with the theme you wanted. of course i would make the suggestion of a gift card so that you can get what you want and the patterns you want.

Thanks for the advice everyone, but I've did all that. She doesnt want to go shopping with me. She says giftcards are too impersonal. She still wants to get the stuff I wanted my boyfriend and I to get and when i said, "fine, let her get what she wants, just include reciept in case it doesnt match'... oh that was the end of the world - "you just will return everything and be ungrateful!" ugggggh. Theres nooo winning with her! I just wish her and his dang sister would leave me alllloooone. Shane has, like 2 families. His parents are divorced so, theres the mom and sis on one side and dad, stepmom and stepsis on the other. I loooove the dads side but wouldnt mind if the mom fell off the face of the planet for a few years. The sister would send me "anonymous" e-mails and messages saying just hurtful things. And the mom had so many back-hand comments its almost ridiculous. Oh well. When I move I dont think they will be able to afford to visit often, which, Is nice. lol. I'm so mean.

While it's very annoying that your MIL to be is so controlling, I have to say at your age (not that long ago either!) I was thankful for anything that was given to me. It is expensive to move or get a new place, and it can really really help out to have someone like that in your life.

I dont know your financial situation, however bear with me. I moved out at 17 and had hand me down everything, nothing new pretty much. The past couple of years we are just starting to be able to get a lot of new stuff, piece by piece. At the same time, my friend moved out and got new everything, matched everything to her taste, didnt want help, ect. She dug herself into such a hole of debt, and ended up having to move back in with her parents.

Sometimes having everything match isnt as big of a deal as having financial stability and family harmony (even if only for your boyfriends happiness).

Plus, if you are engaged and going to get married, you will probably register and get all new stuff then anyways, so think of this as a temporary in the middle stage!

Hmmm, well his sister just sounds plain nasty! :X And unfortunately, I kind of know what you're talking about with your half MIL.... My ex's mum HATED me, for no reason other than her son loved me! She just couldn't handle the fact that we were getting older (late teens) and becoming more independant, and every single decision we tried to make she had to take over or disapprove of. Even down to him coming to my house for tea, or how often we'd see each other. She'd say to him 'you don't need to see Jen tonight, do you? You can stay in with us' and she refused point blank for me to go over there after we'd finished college etc... When I broke up with him, I don't know who I was more pleased to get away from- her or him! :p

Is it that she's just trying to help? Or does she really not like you for some reason? Could it also be that she's a bit upset/worried about her son moving out of home (presuming he lives there still), and wants to be as involved as possible so as not to feel left out? Maybe in some misguided way she worries that you guys will get the wrong stuff and wants to oversee it herself, although that would be quite controlling...

If your boyfriend doesn't think it's a big deal and isn't willing to speak to her, could you maybe talk to her yourself? I know it sounds scary, and I'd be reluctant to do it myself, but maybe just sit down and really calmly and rationally explain that you had been really looking forward to choosing the things for your new place together with your b/f, and that you really would like to have input into it. Say that you really appreciate that she's been so kind to offer to buy the things, and you'd really like to take her up on her offer, but that you'd really like to go along as well and get things that are to your taste. Explain that this is going to be your apartment, and part of the great thing about owning your own place is that you get to pick out the things that you like for yourself, rather than living with parents etc where it's their decision. Make her see what a big thing it is to you, and hopefully she'll back off.....

If she doesn't.... maybe you will just have to keep the receipts and exchange stuff?! :dunno Your boyfriend should be supportive of your viewpoint though, and not let his mum be rude etc to you...

Good luck! Let us know what happens!

drunkenbunnyhugger wrote:
While it's very annoying that your MIL to be is so controlling, I have to say at your age (not that long ago either!) I was thankful for anything that was given to me. It is expensive to move or get a new place, and it can really really help out to have someone like that in your life.

I dont know your financial situation, however bear with me. I moved out at 17 and had hand me down everything, nothing new pretty much. The past couple of years we are just starting to be able to get a lot of new stuff, piece by piece. At the same time, my friend moved out and got new everything, matched everything to her taste, didnt want help, ect. She dug herself into such a hole of debt, and ended up having to move back in with her parents.

Sometimes having everything match isnt as big of a deal as having financial stability and family harmony (even if only for your boyfriends happiness).

Plus, if you are engaged and going to get married, you will probably register and get all new stuff then anyways, so think of this as a temporary in the middle stage!

Really great advice and certainly better than my own! Hope you can work out the problems.

That is great advice but, we dont really have to pay anything in the first place. For graduation and from my parents and stuff, the only things we need is maybe $1,000 MAX and we have about $3k saved up to do the place. So, we dont need her help so much on the stuff we wanted to pick out ourselves. and he doesnt even live with her!! She just wants to be #1! I dont get it. Now that she decided she hates me at the beginning of summer, Its a war to see who actually gets my boyfriend. Like "whos more important"... Lame. ugggh. And I refuse to talk to her. Last time was a diiisssaster and I dont wana hafta deal with my boyfriend tellng me how immature I was when shes the one who sat there with her arms folded and not speaking a word. I tried talking to her. Nicely and calmly. But shes as nasty as her daughter. so. what can i do. I feel its a losing battle. Oh. and from the dads side, his g-ma gave him a wedding band (cuz she loves me and thinks we will last forever) that was his grandpas, but, it seems really ugly and I really wanted our wedding bands to match if we ever got married. Plus he never met his g-pa before and from all the stories I ever heard, he was an ass (He cried when he heard he was going to have a kid because he was so mad that his wife would let herself get pregnant and theres no way he wanted a kid. Or what about how he told his son to run ten minutes before his wedding wearing nothing but black?) yea. That sounds like a great guy. I dont know. thanks for listening to my amazing rant. I just cant stand his dumb family drama.

Trust me - I understand family drama is horrible. However, if you move in with him and get married to him it's only going to get worse.

Just know that he is choosing you, but he was given them, so he is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Don't make it more difficult for your boyfriend. Just always be the better person, and things will work out.

Try to be as respectful as you can but don't let her walk over you.

I think part of being a mature adult is being able to accept your significant other's family, regardless of the situation. Of course, physical and verbal abuse should never be tolerated. We all have behaviors that others may not like, but like I said part of being an adult and loving someone is accepting their family, with ALL their traits.

People say when you marry your spouse, you also marry their family. SO TRUE. You are there at weddings and funerals, there during times of hardship, there to help them to chores and errands, there as support etc.

I am not trying to be cruel, but it sounds as if you are being insensitive towards your boyfriend's family and his needs with them. Not many spouses will tolerate negative comments or attitude towards their family and it is only a matter of time before they leave. If you feel his mother wants to be number one, then let her. It is a show of respect, and acceptance. My mom is still number one if I ever had to choose, haha. Lets see, she has known me for 23 years, gave life to me, and has helped me in ways I could never repay. My boyfriend has known me for 6 years, has also helped me in many ways, but my mother is the one person that could never be replaced. You could say that with most family.

Also, about the hand me down wedding band, I would see that as a GREAT HONOR regardless of who possessed it. Who cares what someone said about his grandfather or what he was like, fact is the grandmother gave it to your boyfriend, it was from a man that she loved. That is honorable, and quite frankly it doesn't matter what you think about it because it is not yours, and it may not even play into the relationship you have with your boyfriend. Also, not trying to be harsh, but at age 18 there are still many hard years coming when people make the change from teen to adult. It makes for some rough times and personality changes... I waited to even comtemplate marriage until I felt I had become mature enough to handle ANYTHING thrown at me. Moving in together is such a small step in a huge scheme of things, and it sounds like perhaps you are not as much upset about the purchasing of things for your new place as you are involved in a control situation, and your poor boyfriend might be stuck right in the middle! Talk to both parties before things get worse, they must get resolved before they get better. I hope everything works for your relationship, and again I was not trying to be cruel with my advice, just honest as someone who knows well ;).

-D

BabyBailey wrote:
That is great advice but, we dont really have to pay anything in the first place. For graduation and from my parents and stuff, the only things we need is maybe $1,000 MAX and we have about $3k saved up to do the place. So, we dont need her help so much on the stuff we wanted to pick out ourselves. and he doesnt even live with her!! She just wants to be #1! I dont get it. Now that she decided she hates me at the beginning of summer, Its a war to see who actually gets my boyfriend. Like "whos more important"... Lame. ugggh. And I refuse to talk to her. Last time was a diiisssaster and I dont wana hafta deal with my boyfriend tellng me how immature I was when shes the one who sat there with her arms folded and not speaking a word. I tried talking to her. Nicely and calmly. But shes as nasty as her daughter. so. what can i do. I feel its a losing battle. Oh. and from the dads side, his g-ma gave him a wedding band (cuz she loves me and thinks we will last forever) that was his grandpas, but, it seems really ugly and I really wanted our wedding bands to match if we ever got married. Plus he never met his g-pa before and from all the stories I ever heard, he was an ass (He cried when he heard he was going to have a kid because he was so mad that his wife would let herself get pregnant and theres no way he wanted a kid. Or what about how he told his son to run ten minutes before his wedding wearing nothing but black?) yea. That sounds like a great guy. I dont know. thanks for listening to my amazing rant. I just cant stand his dumb family drama.

I've actually stopped dating guys after meeting their family as I think "do I want to have to put up with these people for the rest of my life?" Also, if its the ENTIRE family that you cannot stand - remember that the "apple doesn't fall far from the tree", well, in many instances but ofcourse, not all.. Keep dating with an open mind - I'd hold off on any wedding plans..

His Mother may be feeling "jealous" of you (taking away her Son).. I was very jealous of my SIL without realizing it until a friend pointed out I was acting like the ex-girlfriend to my Brother - which - eeewww! Made me realize how ridiculous and juvenile I was acting and now really love my SIL..

I have been mature about everything and up front with them. I just rant to you all. lol. And yea, cruel (honest) advice is sometimes the best. but I'm not going to put him to the side because i'm young and not take a 3 year relationship seriously because of my age. I know that this whole thing is over something petty, but being called nasty things and recieving nasty e-mails from them when I have never returned anything or said anything in person to them I feel is way more mature than either the mother or sister. I wouldn't mind either if they just were as civil as I am to them. I try sooo hard to make it easier for my boyfriend and to not hear bad-mouthing from both sides, but it's hard when he tells me what they say and to just sit there and be like "oh, thats not very nice." Oh well. And the ring. I'll worry about that later. I don't know if he will even want to use it considering it was supposed to be his dads, so, we'll see if the dad wants to keep it instead and just hand it down to his grandson. I do believe that this is 100% a control issue. Yes, she is his mother. But who kicked him out, told him he will never amount to anything and could never compare to his sister, who cheated on her own husband while married, Just up and left for a man she barely knew, got another man to divorce his wife for her, and still is trying to be his #1? I'm the one that let him leave with me (thanks to my parents) in our guest room. Got him into COLLEGE. Is paying the rent in our apt. Made all moving plans. Got his all his grants for school. Supported him when his mother told him he was nothing. I was there. She gave him life, but then made it almost not worth living. Whats better? Why would she ever deserve to be #1 after all this? I just see it as a desperate attempt to get me away. She tried to set him up on a date with another girl just on sunday. Come on now. Thats just low.

tell her she can buy you bath towels and kitchen towels and tupperware.....trust me you can NEVER have enough of them and in time you don't even care what color they are just as long as there is a clean towel when you go to get one....lol...... it'll be easier if you give her a list of things that you feel ok with her buying. put towels, even sheets for your bed---nobody sees them underneath your bedspread anyway. tell her you want to get the bedspread yourself b/c you're trying to match everything but you'd love sheets. but you'll want to tell her that you don't want pictures or decorations b/c you already have some and you want the rest to match your theme. you can add stupid stuff like toilet paper, paper towels, soap...lol....i think she just wants to be included in you guys big move. doug's mom is always getting something for my apt. anyways good luck:D

I'm old enough to be your mom and this is what I think.

I think that YOU are the level-headed mature one and that you MIL is trouble. I think that your boyfriend probably has a lot of mixed feelings about her and doesn't want to alienate her / or is too passive to defend you.

She is intrusive and controlling. You should be the one to pick out your own things.

Would you ever consider going to counseling before you got married? Your boyfriend needs to realize that you are the number 1 woman now and not his meddling mom.

If this problem is not nipped in the bud it will become a huge problem after you get married. it will only get worse.
Maureen

So,I love ur answer angieluv. I keep telling myself that so its good to hear it from someone else. I did try to give a list. I have a giant list of stuff I need and already have. I highlighted huge sections but she wants frames, Bath towels, a comforter, etc.. All the stuff you can see. So. Its her fault. I hope by moving this whole thing will settle down and she will realize that this attempt didnt make me leave and hasn't effected my relationship with her son. He still thinks his mom is the level-headed one and "only wants to help". Come on now. if she really did that list would have been just fine. Its stuff we really do need 2. not just side stuff like, oh, maybe socks? or... I duno. a lawn knome. lol. Its measuring cuts, pots, pillows, and on and on. So. Thanks for th support people. I know I must sound crazy just being 18 and outta high school. it just amazes me that a 43 year old would want to struggle with an 18 year old. And i'm off ranting again. lol. So. To nip this. I was hoping that by not seeing her and staying out of the way will create an 'out of sight out of mind' effect and then when we move she will hopefully not stress about it anymore because whats done is done and will finally just get over it. Or, will this just make it worse to give her time to have it boil up? If i confront her, she will say i'm the liar and make me the bad guy. I dont want my boyfriend to deal with the after-wrath of that.

By picking out the things for your apt. she is making it hers. In addition to that she is taking something away from you.

It's aspecial thing to plan your home with your husband to be and she is taking the pleasure of that away from you. It's really wrong.

I don't think that you should confront her or even fight with your boyfriend about it, however I really think that you should see a couples counselor even if you go by yourself. If you went into counseling even for just for a little while the counselor could help you understand the dynamics of his family and legitimize your feelings.

Your boyfriend should be standing up for you..eventually you will get angry at him for not being there for you.

If you deal with the situation now it will be easier later.

I just re read your initial post . if you are moving ..then it's possible that she's trying to drive you away and it's also possible that distance will make things better. but I still think that talking this out with a professional would really help you feel stronger and more sure of yourself in dealing with it.

The back-handed comments and mean e-mails are really inexcusable from adults.

It's a shame because this is supposed to be a happy time for you!

well if you already gave her a list of what's ok to buy and she's still not listening then she'll probably never listen. i agree with the 2 posts before this one.....you need to see a couples counselor. b/c the main problem is that your boyfriend isn't standing up for your feelings. He doesn't have to 100% agree with you but he should respect you enough to stand up to his ma for you. unfortuneately i don't think there's much you can do to stop her from buying stuff. but at least you don't have to use it. let her blow all her money on things you said not to buy and then when she comes to visit and you're not using it then it's her loss. maybe you have a friend that can use a bedspread or whatever other junk she's giving you. keep the towels though.....i'm always buying towels and it always seems like they are all in the hamper to be washed...lol.....

Latest posts

Back