tumor? bug bite? (O/T)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bammoxx

Reaction score
Well, it's kind of off topic as it's a question about my cat, but I figure it could happen to rabbits too... anyways!

I was petting my cat today and I found a large lump behind his frontleg. I felt on the other side and it was normal, but the onewith the lump was really swollen and hard. It didn't seem tohurt him if I touched it, he just laid there as I examinedit. It seems there is a scab in the middle of it.Could he have got an infection from another cat from beingscratched? He's been getting into a lot of fights with ourneighbor's cat lately so we've been keeping him inside. I wasalso wondering, could it be a tumor? I can't afford a vetvisit or else I'd take him there immediately to be examined.

Please help!

More than likely its froma bite or scratch ,it really needs to be looked at andproper antibiotics prescribedand given . I understand about not beingable to afford a vet bill but maybe tryand work out a payment plan with yourvet to pay what you can weekly or monthly., Usually most Vets are willing to workwith you .

Sounds like it was a bite or scratch that turnedinto an abcess. Our cat Dave had a couple in his hardcorefight days. I think the vet bill was about $125.00 orso. Basically what they did was lance it, drain it, and givean anitbiotic. We actually took care of one ourselves on himat home the last time. Does it feel warm to thetouch? I would suggest a vet visit to be sure and if it is,just have the vet handle it if you haven't dealt with anabcessbefore. Dave's was always at his low back atthe base of his tail.

how old is your cat?

it could very well be a tumor, (not to scare you), but my family cathad a lump that turned out to be cancerous. we had to put her down lastmonth, she was very sick, and the vet said since she was 17 years old,surgery would probably only give her a few extra weeks.

a trip to the vet, although costly, is always worth it,

Good luck,

Nicole

Nicky Snow wrote:
how old is your cat?

it could very well be a tumor, (not to scare you), but my family cathad a lump that turned out to be cancerous. we had to put her down lastmonth, she was very sick, and the vet said since she was 17 years old,surgery would probably only give her a few extra weeks.

a trip to the vet, although costly, is always worth it,

Good luck,

Nicole
I'm sorry to hear that. Dave is 17 and recentlywent to the emergency vet for a fight and they gave us the skinny onhis problems due to old age. He's still doing well but I knowthe time is getting near and am very unhappy about it.Oh, hedid win the fight at least.

p.s. We would keep him indoors but he has always been outside and it would be mean to force him in all the time.

He is about 2 years old.. It iswarm. He's always been relatively healthy, except for thefact that he is a 23 pound cat. And if you touch his lowerback, it hurts him, like his skin is sensitive, although it seems thatnothing is physically wrong with it. Not sure aboutit... I'll tell my mom about what you said, maybe she'llchange her mind, hard to tell.

Our cat doesn't mind staying inside all the time, too hot outside forhim anyways! And he got into a fight on my mom's car, herFirebird that she adores, and he likes to play on it... Nottoo good on his behalf!

zakfoxmom,

it's always hard to make a decision like that. as long as the qualityof life is good, we have to do everything we can. Our cat was a wilyold girl, but near the end, she was suffering too much. i truly hopei'll see her again, and my 2 dogs. My bunnies, however, are not allowedto leave me any time soon.

LOL,

Nicole

We decided to let him live his lifeout. He's still happy and doing well. He's now justour scruffy little geriatric kitty :) In his fight he lost atooth and had a claw stuck in his head. We only take him tothe vet in emergencies because he tries to eat the vet.

Like Zak said it does sound like an abcess to meas well'my cat had one once on her leg and you've just described thesymptons pretty well.My vet squeezed it to release the puss whichwas'nt very nice and gave a shot of antibiotics then she was fine:)

I have to say the funny thing about when we didit at home. My mom was visiting from out of town and has 3cats and knows about abcesses. We didn't know how "icky" itwas. So my husband and I decided to take care of itourselves. Idrained it while my husband had to holdDave. The look on my husband's face was absolutely pricelessI thought he was going to just throw up all over the place! He totallyfreaked out! My mom was on the couch dying laughing the whole time andI'm telling my husband to keep the cat still but he's looking the otherway making these funny gurgling noises.

I have to say though, its very wise to get to the vet because it is an infection and needs antibiotics.

Latest posts

Back