Tummy virus going around? UPDATE GOOD!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturestee

Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem to Tinysmom with multiple rabbits being off their food. It started with Loki yesterday when he wasn't interested in his breakfast. I left a note for James and he was feeding Loki pumpkin throughout the day, which he ate willingly. Last night he stopped eating pumpkin. He felt only slightly gassy, not as active as normal but not looking too uncomfortable in the way he is sitting or laying. I started gas meds and Pedialyte last night and started syringing Critical Care this morning. He perked up after being syringe fed and I got him to eat a few oats and flax seeds, but no real food on his own.

Mocha is also off her food as of this morning. Last night she ate her pellets and veggies but only slowly and wasn't interested in them at all- I actually had to chase her into her pen for her supper. I never have to do that! She hasn't eaten any of her breakfast and didn't even want pumpkin, although she did eat some oats. I have started syringe feeding her. And Fey hasn't eaten all of her breakfast yet, maybe a little over half of her veggies and the flax seed/sunflower seed/oats conditioning mix I give her (1/4 teaspoon per meal). Pellets looked untouched.

Thoughts? Anything else I can do? My vet is closed for the weekend, and even if they were open I don't think there's anything else they can do except give gut motility drugs which I don't want. I gave Loki some Metacam this morning but it doesn't seem to have helped. I have Nutri-Cal but they seriously hate it, and Critical Care has the same vitamins added plus more stuff like probiotics.

I'm just going to have to nurse them through it. Blah. At least they're all alert and not in terrible pain.

Oberon better stay healthy, darn it! He's still eating like a pig, blissfully unaware that Fey isn't feeling well.

Edit: The only new food is a new bale of hay, from the same farmer I always buy from. Good quality, not dusty, still green, but more alfalfa than his bales usually have so I've been picking a lot of that out. I let everyone but Fey have a little of the alfalfa for a little treat.

Hi Angela

I just read through Peg's post also. If everything else is the same I would only be suspicious of the new bale ..maybe they are getting more alfalfa in it than you realize.
Also could it have anything to do with the weather change. Here in La Crosse it was close to 70 F. today.
How are they doing?

Sorry, I haven't updated this because there hasn't been anything to report.:?

It could be the weather. Myheart (Luna's new mommy) called yesterday and said Luna's husbun Patrick was ill with gas/GI issues too. She's just a half hour north of me.

Fey is looking pretty good now. I've had to dose her with gas meds a few times and she was up and down yesterday but never completely stopped eating or pooping. This morning she was really excited to see me and wanted to come out and play. So either she's in an up phase- she's been doing binkies and bunny 500's when feeling good- or she's feeling better in general. Mocha is... Mocha. Snotty little princess who poops all over, at least I can tell she's pooping. Really small poops though.

Loki is going to the vet later this morning. Despite syringe feeding, tummy rubs, gas meds, and sneaking leftover Metacam into him he's not doing any better. Sometimes I can hear his tummy gurgle from across the room. I bought a cheap stethoscope at Fleet Farm yesterday and with Loki, I could hear gurgling but not as rythmic as Oberon, who is healthy. This morning I really couldn't hear anything.:(

I'm sorry things are tough for you. I really hope the vets can help Loki. It's useful to have a healthy bun to compare against isn't it.

I really hope things improve soon. Let us know how Loki goes at the vets.

I don't have any useful advice, but am sending good thoughts...:?

OMG, naturestee, i'm just seeing this.

Sending more good vibes that the kids will pull through. Something in the hay as per angieluv's suggestion? Please Recover quickly. Good good thoughts for getting to the root of the appetite loss.

Loki's at the vet, getting xrayed and having blood tests just in case. His molars are slightly overgrown but the vet wasn't sure if that was the cause. They might be able to do his molars tomorrow depending on any other problems he might have. The vet (Dr. Bixler, who treats Luna) was concerned with something that felt abnormal in his gut. I have to go to work soon so it looks like James will be picking him up, etc.

:pray:

James hasn't pm'd me and he's at work now, so I called the vet for a quick update. I'll get the full story from James later but it appears Loki has to spend the night at the vet's.:(

I feel bad for you, Angela, this is the last thing you need . You've had enough bunny distress for awhile.
I really really hope that Loki is OK!!:pray::pray::pray:

James emailed this to me:

I have to get going soon so I will give the short of it. He has an internal mass near his kidneys that they think is either a tumor or an abscess. his white blood cell count is high which means he has some form of internal infection. His intestines are empty, but they look like they are still working. They are keeping him overnight on my approval so they can do rounds of treatments for food, fluids, antibiotics, and gut motility drugs. If they can stabilize him well enough they want to do exploratory surgery after a couple days. The Dr. doesn't come in until 2pm tomorrow, but wants to talk about what to do then depending on how he does. They said we can call and visit anytime to check up on him and see him during normal business hours (tomorrow 7am to 7pm). But with the high chance of surgery, it is going to be rough and risky for him.

:tears2:

Angela, I am so sad to hear about Loki! I hope this was all caught soon enough for a speedy surgery and recovery. My prayers are with you and Loki.I hope that if it really is a mass, that it is isolated and easily removed without complications. Poor little tyke having to be away from you and all your care.

Sending your family lots of prayers and well wishes,

myheart

Oh no! Please keep us informed about what is happening - I'm sending lots of prayers and good thoughts your way.....

Oh man sending tons of prayers. Come on sweety. No scaring mommy and daddy.

I'm really sorry. I hope we hear some good news soon.

I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts.

Do you think maybe Fey and Mocha went off their food because they sensed Loki was not right?

Latest posts

Back