Trouble flying with your bunnies?! No more Delta Airlines!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TinysMom wrote:
When Marlin flew from Texas to Arizona - I was a bit concerned about him (and he was in the cabin) because the carrier he had to be in was so small. In my opinion, that carrier would not work for many of the breeds - like flemish, palominos, mini lops, etc - unless they were babies. Maybe Amy can add her thoughts to that if she still has the carrier - but the carrier has to fit under the seat for the animal to fly in the cabin...so it is a short carrier.

Marlin is a Lionhead. At the time he flew home with me, he was just 14 weeks old. He weighed barely a pound. The carrier I had to use was just the right size. I would NOT put an animal in there that weighs more than 2 pounds...it would just not be fair.

Here is the said carrier, when Marlin weighed about 3lbs....

l_f02368a247843503894d279e566b67f0.jpg

As you can see, he hardly has room to turn around and barely any room to sit up when the top is flipped back on. Air lines require specific carriers in cabin....this is one of them. I believe they need to be hard sided, too...not soft sided.

I honestly am not seeing why this is a huge issue :?, besides the fact that flying cargo may be a bit more expensive than flying in cabin. Rabbits flying as cargo get to have a larger sized carrier and kept out of the busy cabin. Cabins of air planes are seriously more scary than the special cargo area of a plane. Kids scream in cargo, people talk loudly, feet shuffle by, the beeping noises and loud speaker.

Marlin did just fine in cabin, as did Morgan when he flew in cargo. It's really not as hard on them as people may think. The day Morgan flew home in cargo, we had a 2 1/2 hour ride back home from Phoenix's Sky Harbor air port. When we got home I let him run around and he was happier than ever.

Every one also needs to keep in mind that there are other airlines out there. Also, you must keep in mind that only ONE ANIMAL PER PERSON is allowed in cabin.

Amy, its not that anyone is saying every animal will be in danger when put in cargo, but the point is a) that rabbits are being considered second class pets, not allowed in cabin when dogs and cats are b) there is some realrisk in flying cargo.A lot of rescues and breeders refuse toput rabbits there because of these risks. Rabbits have been known to pass or become extremely ill after a flightdue to stress, cabin pressure changes, temperature (being left on the tarmac on hot days) etc. Im sure some airlines are safer than others but there are those risks.

I personally would never fly any of my bunnies in cargo unless it was the only option- I would want them right there with me the whole time so I know theyre safe. But Im a pretty paranoid mama :)

The point is that this is a step backward for those of us trying to transform the image of rabbits as farm/outdoor livestock to indoor/loving companions. We want rabbits to be on the same level as cats and dogs :)

That is abosolutly hilarious about the Service Monkeys!! i have never heard of such a thing. I want one!!

Haley wrote:
Amy, its not that anyone is saying every animal will be in danger when put in cargo, but the point is a) that rabbits are being considered second class pets, not allowed in cabin when dogs and cats are b) there is some real risk in flying cargo. A lot of rescues and breeders refuse to put rabbits there because of these risks. Rabbits have been known to pass or become extremely ill after a flight due to stress, cabin pressure changes, temperature (being left on the tarmac on hot days) etc. Im sure some airlines are safer than others but there are those risks.

I personally would never fly any of my bunnies in cargo unless it was the only option- I would want them right there with me the whole time so I know theyre safe. But Im a pretty paranoid mama :)

The point is that this is a step backward for those of us trying to transform the image of rabbits as farm/outdoor livestock to indoor/loving companions. We want rabbits to be on the same level as cats and dogs :)

Agreed. I was given an actual address if I had further complaints. I can share it here if anyone else would like to send a letter.

Haley wrote:
Amy, its not that anyone is saying every animal will be in danger when put in cargo, but the point is a) that rabbits are being considered second class pets, not allowed in cabin when dogs and cats are b) there is some realrisk in flying cargo.A lot of rescues and breeders refuse toput rabbits there because of these risks. Rabbits have been known to pass or become extremely ill after a flightdue to stress, cabin pressure changes, temperature (being left on the tarmac on hot days) etc. Im sure some airlines are safer than others but there are those risks.

I do understand, Haley :). Thank you for pointing it out!

I just want people to know that if they have to, flying cargo is not a bad thing. Many bunnies come out safe and happy.

just out of curiosity, what is their exact reasoning for not allowing rabbits in cabin? do they even have a good reason?

I flew with my mini lop every summer until he died, when I was a young teenager. He travelled in a variety of different cabin/airline approved carriers which were small yet he fit in comfortably.

I sent them a email too. I said in my note not to give me the answers (that aren't very good) that have been given and why they are unreasonable. I hope it helps. Maybe if enough people send messages then they will reconsider.

Aly!:)

Here is my note I wrote to them....

I am concerned by the choice of not letting rabbits on the cabin level of your airplanes. Rabbits are much like cats as they can be litter train easily, hardly make noise, are very calm. Rabbits are not rodent like many people think. They are a totally different sub species. Rabbits are mammals therefore warm blooded and are also domesticated. My concern of loading my rabbit in the cargo area is that it is very stressful and dangerous for the animal and make people feel very uneasy knowing their rabbit maybe unsafe. I am aware that you have merged with another airfreight company but, I do not understand why this would make you change your policy. I care deeply that rabbits are given fair treatment and would like a reply on the EXACT reason you will no longer allow rabbits on the cabin level in my flight.

Aly

Here is something from Delta's website

Pets As Carry On Your pet can travel with you in the cabin for a one-way fee of $150 (to be collected at check-in). Pets permitted in the cabin include dogs, cats, and household birds. Monkeys, pot-bellied pigs, reptiles, frogs, mice, rats, sugar gliders, and spiders are not permitted. The following restrictions apply:
  • Your pet must be small enough to fit comfortably in a kennel under the seat directly in front of you. Maximum carry-on kennel dimensions are determined by your flight. You must contact Delta Reservations to determine the appropriate kennel size.
  • Your pet must remain inside the kennel (with door secured) while in a Delta boarding area (during boarding and deplaning), a Delta airport lounge, and while onboard the aircraft.
  • Your pet must be at least 8 weeks old.
  • You may not carry on more than one pet.
  • Your pet in-cabin counts as one piece of carry-on baggage.
  • If you're traveling to Hawaii, your pet won't be able to go with you in the cabin, and other restrictions may apply. See Pets to Hawaii for more information.
Exception: Two pets of the same type may be allowed in one kennel, for example two dogs or two cats. They must be small enough to fit in one kennel provided they are compatible and must be of the same species, size and each weigh less than 20 pounds; and they must meet the requirements of acceptance. They will be charged as one pet.

Latest posts

Back