Trixie Chewing on Cage Wires

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trixiesowner

Reaction score
For the first time in like... ever, Trixie keepschewing on the wires of her cage. Now it IS NOT BECAUSE SHE DOESN'THAVE ENOUGH THINGS TO CHEW ON! She has TONS of chew toys, big ones,small ones, some on the floor, some on the cage side. We even got her acouple new chew toys yesterday... However for some reason she stillchews on the cage!
Why is she doing this and how can I stop her if nessisary?

:?

It is totally natural for rabbit to chew,especially on wires. I read somewhere that they resembleroots that grow in holes that they chew in the wild. Try notto get upset at Trixie for chewing. Emmit has gone throughcountless keyboards, mouses, alarm clocks, etc, but we've been blamingourselves for not "bunny-proffing" it well enough. I knowit's annoying and frustrating, but that's why we have ducttape! (to tape all the wires up with). It may notbe pretty, but it works!

-Carrie

Bub learned to chew on cage wires from his nextdoor neighbor, Pandemonium. He learned she gets attention that way.He's not quite as violent, but it's so cute to see him try.

Most of my bunnies have been cage biters. It's mostly anattention-getter. I've actually had to patch cage doors chewed throughby an aggravated bunny waiting for breakfast.

Rose

trixiesowner wrote:
Why is she doing this and how can I stop her if nessisary?

:?

It would appear, out of frustration that she is not outside thecage. You giving her some exercise time outside thecage? Don't know if you can stop the behavior, but why nottake a page out of Carolyn's book, and squirt her with a water gun assoon as she starts gnawing on the wire? Has to be caught "inthe act," and has to be consistent, if it is going to work, at all.

Buck

BlueBellestarted doing that a whileago, but I really had to put a stop to it because my dad would havekicked her out of the house:shock:. So I gently blew in her facewhenI caught her doing it. I'm happy to report that I haven'tcaught her doing it in quite awhile:D!

Lissa

Sounds like she likes to make noise! Iszy does that all the time. :D

Some buns, if attacking the wire voraciously, can pull their teeth outof alignment causing malocclusion, or break a tooth or two.That idea of blowing in their face seems like a good one to me.

Buck

Back