Tripod bunny!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitty88

Reaction score
I am heartbroken about the loss of my heart bun on Wednesday. My boyfriend has been very interested in us getting another bun, but I was concerned with trying to 'replace' the best bunny ever, so I knew if I adopted it would have to be a really special bun. Well, the shelter I used to volunteer with, it just so happens, had a bunny that had been around in foster care for about 6 months. He came from a hoarding situation, he's a big handsome Californian, and everyone that spend time with him says he is a big lovebug. He's got an adorable little nose splotch, and he's a nice big boy (I love me some big buns). Also, he recently had a hind leg amputated, so he is a tripod.

I am fully prepared for more of the mom-to-special-needs buns lifestyle, Kashi was special needs due to his crazy tummy problems, and Gracie is E. Cuniculi positive, has kidney issues, and has had head tilt in the past. Needless to say, my bunny first aid kit is huge. However, I've never really had a bun that had a physical disability. I have a two story Leith with carpets on both floors, and a play area in a fully carpeted room. I am also purchasing an area rug so he can hang out with me and Grace in the basement.

Does anyone else care for a three legged bunny? How can I make things easier for him? What types of toys work best for an unsteady bun? He's a big boy, but should I lower the water bottle so he doesn't have to crane his head to drink? I want to make him very comfortable in his new forever home.

I don't have experience with this, but these seem like really good questions for the foster(s). I'm sure this person(s) would have lots of experience and usful information concerning this rabbit.

It's so great that you want to adopt a rabbit most people would pass over. I hope all goes well with the adoption. I know how heart breaking it is to lose a rabbit that your really bonded with, I hope this rabbit is able to fill that hole for you.

I have no experience with them (never even seen a 3 legged rabbit). I agree to ask the person who is forstering him. I would tend to think that a 2 story cage would not be so good for a rabbit that only has 3 legs. Also you should think about switching to bowls for water instead of bottles. I switched a couple of months ago and notice a big difference in the amount my rabbits drink. It is just a thought :) Also do not know how good carpet would be with only 3 legs. I know that it can get fairly rough in texture. You could switch over to fleece. It is softer and easy to wash. Another thing is to get a litter box that is easy to get into. One that he can walk into reather than jumping into.

Those are just some thoughts that jumped into my head.

It seems as though someone months ago had a 3-legged rabbit, but I don't recall any details, including if it were a front or back leg. I would think it would be a good idea to make any ramps plenty wide. I guess with the water bottle it would be trial & error, as I think too low isn't better than too high.

No experience firsthand with a tripod. Have a few geriatrics, so maybe some crossover there. Need to keep things low if mobility is a problem--litter boxes with lower fronts for sure. Traction may be an issue, so no slick or slippery surfaces. Trial and error. Good luck.

No rabbits, but I had a three legged chinchilla. I didn't do anything special for him, he adapted. He was as fast and agile as the rest of them. The only difference was that when he sat up to eat (they use their hands, like rats), he had to eat with one hand and hold onto the bowl with the other.

No tripod bunnies but I do have a tripod cat. She was involved in some sort of accident when she was 18 months old and had to have the rear left leg amputated... once she was over the initial shock of it all she got around just as good as a 4 legged cat, she even survived a year 'living wild' after some *&^% stole her and dumped her in the bush, she ended up living near a small farm where I got her back from.

The only problems I found that she has is what Patti said, she can't scratch behind her ear and I have to clean that for her.

Latest posts

Back