Tree Branches and outdoor grasses...good for bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katherine at sacred stories

Reaction score
I have maple, dogwood, bamboo in my yard and many other trees in a forest behind my house. I have read that pine and oak are bad but are there any others that would be good for chewing?

I know dandelion and clover are ok but what about various grasses growing in my yard? I have thistle and I've read that's good for digestion.

Bamboo probably is NOT ok. I know milk thistle seeds are a strong medicine, for counteracting toxins.

I'm not sure about ornamental grasses, but regular grass is good. This doesn't mean picking up grass clippings, though. I let some spots in my yard not get trimmed so the grass grows tall & full of fiber.

Your best option is to search here on RO specific plant names & online for plant name rabbits.

My kids love bermuda grass. The neighbors probably aren't thrilled that I let a patch of it grow behind the house, but as long as the rabbits are happy that is what is important. :)

Apple and willow trees are great as long as they are not sprayed. Be sure there are no chemicals (even run off from neighbors) that can be on anything you feed.

Thank you everyone! Great list Wendy. I bookmarked it. Good idea to let a section of grass grow higher...

MiniLop...Scout loved Bermuda grass, too. It was the one grass I gave her. My neighbors thought (think) I was a crazy lady because they saw me walking around with a basket, in all weathers, at all times of the day and night, picking dandelions and clover and grass:) One stopped and said "What are you picking? Are you trying to cut your yard by hand?"

LOL I can just picture that! Last night I was out working in my garden and a neighbor stopped in to see what I was growing. She was apalled when I said I was growing the herbs and flowers for my rabbits. She thought it was wasted work. I think she's a poo poo head! The buns LOVE fresh herbs. Last night was spirmint and lavender to season their greens and watermellon.

It's good being a crazy bunny lady! I would take that as a complement.

No problem. :) I found that by accident last winter, when checking about whether apple tree twigs needed dried beforehand. I just re-discovered they can have Mulberry twigs, too. Time to mix up the sticks. LOL

katherine at sacred stories wrote:
My neighbors thought (think) I was a crazy lady because they saw me walking around with a basket, in all weathers, at all times of the day and night, picking dandelions and clover and grass:) One stopped and said "What are you picking? Are you trying to cut your yard by hand?"
Hee, hee, hee... Yes, the things we do for our lovable bunnies! :rabbithop

MiniLop--that woman is definitely a poopoohead! It IS good to be a crazy bunny lady. Of course, you grow the herbs for the bunnies. Who deserves or would appreciate them more! We PICK WITH PRIDE!

BlueEyes--yes, the things we do. Maybe I went a little too far when I was out picking in the middle of a hurricane, but I don't think so. hehehe. Let them talk.

Agreed. poopoo head. My neighbour brings me milk-thistle, dandelions and mint for my fluffy-friends. And she gave my rabbit free professional physiotherapy sessions when he was paralysed. It doesn't get better than that.

Great list SneakyDragon. The only one I would argue with is Calendula, the pot maragolds. Do you know why that is on the list? My kids eat them all the time and love it with no ill effects.

I see a handful that aren't toxic. Some have medicinal uses, so I wouldn't make them a large part of the diet. Example: [per Rabbit Health in the 21st Century] red clover flower heads boost immunity, thin the blood, are anti-bacterial & an appetite suppressant.

I compiled them from other lists I found online. Sources should be listed on the bottom. I basically went through all of them and just added them into one ginormous list.

If you have experience they're safe, I'll take them off. :p Thanks for the info!

If enough lists were put together, everything would be on every list. I even know of one source that says ANY lettuce, not just iceberg is very very bad. Everything has trace bits of something that would be a problem in huge doses & in rare cases & they have to eat something.

Latest posts

Back