Travelling with a rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Livie 9

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m going away for the weekend and I’m taking my rabbit with me. He’s going to be in the car for around an hour, does anyone have any advice on the best way to travel with him so he feels comfortable and safe?

He’s only ever drove back and forth to the vets which is about 20/30 mins.

Any advice would be great,

thanks!

I moved my pregnant rabbit in a the place she felt most comfortable (her nestbox at the time) then I placed a blanket over top. I suggest using a cat carrier or small animal carrier, place a good amount of hay for bedding and munching then place a blanket over top.
If your rabbit uses a water bottle latch it onto the cage so he can drink if he wants. You can also get a small bowl that can clip onto the sides of the crate, but those are a little messy.
When you get to your destination put wet tail in his water or anti-stress drops. (I use Oasis wet tail (it’s for hamsters) and HomePet Stress Away)
And put them in a secure spot in your car where their crate won’t slide around.

Thank you, this is really helpful.
He’s a free roam bun so I’m hesitant to how he will react being in a confined space but this is really helpful!
Thanks again.

If it's been hot where you are, you don't want to cover the carrier with a blanket or any thick covering. Something light like a sheet can provide a sense of safety for your bun if it's needed, just over part of the carrier and leave part open to allow for airflow to go through to keep your bun cool. You want to make sure the AC is going and the interior of the car stays cool, or if you don't have that then provide a frozen water bottle for your bun to lay next to, to help keep cool. Make sure your buns carrier isn't in direct sunlight. And you'll want to put a pee pad or towel down in the carrier.

I wouldn't use a water bottle or put water in there. It will just drip or splash all over and get everything wet. One hour isn't that long, provided your bun is kept at a comfortable temperature. If your bun eats leafy greens or dark leaf lettuce(not iceberg), putting some in with your bun to snack on can help hydrate. You could also put a small dish in there with some ice cubes.

It's a short enough trip that you don't have to worry about food or water too much. But it would be good to have them handy in case something happens and you need to feed or hydrate your rabbit. Most important thing is ensuring your rabbit won't overheat, and keeping your bun in a carrier on the floor or secured with a seat belt in case of a quick stop.

When you get to your destination put wet tail in his water or anti-stress drops. (I use Oasis wet tail (it’s for hamsters) and HomePet Stress Away)
And put them in a secure spot in your car where their crate won’t slide around.

I would strongly urge to NOT use wet tail drops or other similar medications unnecessarily. It's an antibiotic, and using something like this when it's not warranted can just lead to an actual health issue occurring or a resistance developing to that antibiotic. It should also be noted that neomycin(the antibiotic in wet tail) can sometimes cause side effects like damaging the kidneys(nephrotoxic) and affecting balance or damaging hearing(ototoxic).

It is not advised to cover a carrier since it can prevent/inhibit airflow.

I'd also caution against giving a rabbit meds unnecessarily.

If your rabbit has taken 20/30 minute car rides, he'll likely do just fine for an hour. Here is a link with photos showing how to setup the carrier. I would add hay also.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Transport/Car/Car.htm

Back