Toys for picky buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musta-Eyolf-Pedes

Reaction score
What do you guys and gals (or anything else, if that's relevant to you) give your furballs to chew on and play with?

Newton won't take to anything not made of rice or corn husks and he can tear through a whole package of those in a day if I let him. I've tried wood chews, pumice chews, rope chews, cardboard, twigs of various types, etc. with no or very little success. Newton doesn't even like his ball (he only uses it because I won't feed him any other way). He prefers to be fed out of a bowl.

He also rejects most toys. I've tried elastic bands for him to pull on, hanging wood blocks to slide around, a hanging feeder (he just pulls everything out of it), and bell-balls with no interest outside of the initial "Oh hey a new thing!" response.

I'd love to get him something he likes, but I can't afford to buy 20 different toys to find one. Any suggestions?

Is there any reason why you can't keep buying the types of toys that he does like? Often many rabbit toys are made of corn husk, or have at least a major component made of corn husk, if you know he likes them just buy those.

I make paper bag pom poms for chewy to play with. He will pick it up and shake it back and forth like a dog does a rope bone.

Cut the paper bag into strips, stack them all up and tie in the middle with bunny safe string or twine. Then squish each end of each strip so that they are crumpled and your done.

Newton doesn't even like his ball (he only uses it because I won't feed him any other way). He prefers to be fed out of a bowl.

Could you explain what you mean by this? Are you referring to how you feed pellets or hay?

Hay is best for satisfying the need to chew. They should eat their body size in hay every day. If it is the hay that is only being offered in a hay wheel, that would make it too difficult for bunny to get his full amount of hay.

Last edited:
Back