Toys for bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im wanting to make my bunnies a few toys, but dont want to spend money on it. If i have to I will, but can I make a homemade toy?

I can crochet, I make little stuffed things for the cats all the time, would that hurt their health if they swallowed a bit of yarn fluff?

have you made a homemade toy? can you show me so I can have ideas? :mrsthumper:

My rabbits' favorite toys are free! They love empty paper towel or TP tubes -- either plain or stuffed with hay.
Larger cardboard boxes with holes cut out for doors and windows are another favorite.

I wouldn't use yarn unless you're closely supervising them while they play with the toy to make sure they're not chewing on it.

cheap or free toys:
cardboard boxes/mazes
old phone book (opened up so they can rip at the pages)
a plastic slinky
whiffle balls
plastic cat balls
hard plastic baby keys
untreated wicker baskets (sometimes you can find them at dollar stores)
concrete forms from a hardware store (tunnels)

oh, and it's pricier, but you can also build an agility course if you want to make them something... I have instructions in my blog - http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f18/nala-gaz-70961/index29.html#post949514

cost me about $75 for two jumps, a teeter-totter and an A-frame... the jumps are the cheapest to make and the most fun to train them on. you can shave $10 off what it cost me if you're using the course inside - I had to buy some stuff to protect the untreated wood from water and such because I use my course outdoors.

Last edited:
My bunnies favourites are cardboard boxes, toilet roll tubes, paper bags, hard baby rattles and recently I picked up a baby Moses basket from the re-use tip and they love it! I wouldn't buy one. It of you find one pick it up! :)

Thanks! i never thought of using TP rolls, I will stuff some and put them in with the buns tomorrow ^.^

There are tons of things you can make with paper/card, you could also try paper string or sisal or one of the other natural fibres that are okay for bunny eating.

Toilet paper rolls are a favorite around here.

I should mention that I picked up a set of plastic baby keys in the $1 section at Target today.

I recently got lucky and wound up with a large box and two smaller boxes. The large box I put torn out pages from a phone book in, some I crumpled into balls. Thumper likes to go in there to chew and dig, I cut a hole in the front and built a tunnel by folding up a piece of cardboard and placing the end in the hole which holds the shape. I plan to cut a hole in another side and eventually attach the two other boxes to the side as one long box. Thumper also likes to jump onto the larger box.

I take strands of his hay and braid them together. Sometimes it works, sometimes the hay breaks though.

One toy I make is by stuffing fruits/veggies/hay/grass in an egg carton. I also like to put holes in bottle lids and put some twine threw them to make a rattle. Making hanging toys from cardboard, dreid fruit, paper, etc, and stringing it up on twine is also fun. Crumbled up paper, boxes, cups, tape rollers, fleece peices, etc. also make good toys.

my bun loves carboard boxes, cardboard boxes with fabrics to chew and dig, and those willow balls from the pet store!

DSCN2846.jpg

DSCN1683.jpg

Latest posts

Back