Total newbie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinkie

Reaction score
Help! I was gifted a rabbit recently and she has some...issues! I would love to help her but first, I need to learn how to. Here are her issues:
1. She has NO paws on both front legs. Just stumps, no feet.
2. One back leg hangs off to the side. So she essentially only has one good leg, but she runs all over and seems to not even realize it.
2. She has black pepper looking spots in between her ears and on her cheeks. I assume they are flea eggs, but I'm not sure how to treat her.
3. She is a lionhead and I was told shes about 8 months old. Shes kinda grouchy and runs away, or nips ( at times). I am trying to learn because she obviously needs some help, and I'm hoping to do just that.
No negative comments please. I KNOW I'm in over my head, but that's why I'm here!😉

I have had her for about a month. Her current diet is a cup of veggies is the morning,( 70% kale, 30% mix of celery, carrot slivers, blueberries, grape tomatoes) then in the late afternoon, she gets rabbit pellet food, and she always has Timothy hay that has dried botanicals mixed in. She also has a little mineral block in her cage.
her cage is what I got with her, but for the most part, she runs around the house all day, and only sleeps in her cage at night. I'll attach pics of her. Here are some pics:

Attachments

• 20211009_192032.jpg
    20211009_192032.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20211009_191953.jpg
    20211009_191953.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211009_191927.jpg
    20211009_191927.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211009_191820.jpg
    20211009_191820.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211009_191731.jpg
    20211009_191731.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211009_191712.jpg
    20211009_191712.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211009_191618.jpg
    20211009_191618.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211009_191543.jpg
    20211009_191543.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211009_191423.jpg
    20211009_191423.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211009_191352.jpg
    20211009_191352.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 11
It does look like flea dirt. Best way to treat that is getting some Revolution(selamectin) from your vet at the dose of 18mg/kg, 3x what it would be for a cat or dog.

Medirabbit: fleas

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Fleas
The leg issues would most likely be from the mom rabbit overgrooming her at birth, and chewing the front paws off. The hind leg is something called splay leg. It can be genetic, or could be due to her front leg disability affecting her leg and muscle development when she was young and growing.

Medirabbit: congenital splay leg

She has obviously adapted just fine to her disabilities, and it doesn't sound like it slows her down. The biggest issue you could have is her developing sores at the end of the stumps on the front legs, and on the inside bottom of the hind leg. So you're going to need to closely monitor those legs for the development of sores. If it occurs then you'll need to come up with a solution with your vet. Maybe some sort of protective leg wrapping will be needed.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
With the attitude she's displaying, I'm presuming she's not spayed? If not, then getting her spayed will usually help to some extent. The vet can also evaluate her legs and determine if they're causing pain and contributing to making her grumpy. So managing her leg issues so she isn't in pain anymore can also help with her attitude(if they are in fact causing any pain, they may not be).

One common thing that can make rabbits grumpy and have an attitude towards us humans, is if we are trying to pick them up and handle them. The majority of rabbits dislike being picked up. Some can learn to tolerate it, but some detest it so much that if you do it at all, it can affect their ability to trust and form a bond with you. Because your rabbit is semi disabled, some handling is going to be necessary for health checks, but keeping it to a bare minimum may help. It's important for you to show her that she can trust you, by just sitting and spending time with her in close proximity, without picking up or forcing any interaction, but allowing her to approach and come to you on her own terms. This is what will help build that trust.

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html
https://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm

It does look like flea dirt. Best way to treat that is getting some Revolution(selamectin) from your vet at the dose of 18mg/kg, 3x what it would be for a cat or dog.

Medirabbit: fleas

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Fleas
The leg issues would most likely be from the mom rabbit overgrooming her at birth, and chewing the front paws off. The hind leg is something called splay leg. It can be genetic, or could be due to her front leg disability affecting her leg and muscle development when she was young and growing.

Medirabbit: congenital splay leg

She has obviously adapted just fine to her disabilities, and it doesn't sound like it slows her down. The biggest issue you could have is her developing sores at the end of the stumps on the front legs, and on the inside bottom of the hind leg. So you're going to need to closely monitor those legs for the development of sores. If it occurs then you'll need to come up with a solution with your vet. Maybe some sort of protective leg wrapping will be needed.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
With the attitude she's displaying, I'm presuming she's not spayed? If not, then getting her spayed will usually help to some extent. The vet can also evaluate her legs and determine if they're causing pain and contributing to making her grumpy. So managing her leg issues so she isn't in pain anymore can also help with her attitude(if they are in fact causing any pain, they may not be).

One common thing that can make rabbits grumpy and have an attitude towards us humans, is if we are trying to pick them up and handle them. The majority of rabbits dislike being picked up. Some can learn to tolerate it, but some detest it so much that if you do it at all, it can affect their ability to trust and form a bond with you. Because your rabbit is semi disabled, some handling is going to be necessary for health checks, but keeping it to a bare minimum may help. It's important for you to show her that she can trust you, by just sitting and spending time with her in close proximity, without picking up or forcing any interaction, but allowing her to approach and come to you on her own terms. This is what will help build that trust.

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html
https://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm

Thank you for the info. Like I said, I know NOTHING. She runs all over and hops straight up, often. So it doesn't slow her down any. I have noticed it's my husband she nips at, with me, she makes a clicking sound?

If the clicking sound is her chattering her teeth, like when you pet her, that's called tooth purring/chattering, and is a sign of happiness and contentment. They'll also sometimes do it when they're loafed up and sleeping.

The hop straight up is also a sign of happiness in rabbits and how they play. She's probably either doing a binky or popcorning.

Nipping can mean a variety of things. It doesn't always mean something negative. It can be a sign of irritation, like if you've picked up a rabbit and they nip you, then it would mean 'put me down, I don't like to be picked up'. Or if you're in their way and they want you to move, a rabbit may give you a nip. But it can also happen when a rabbit likes you and is trying to groom you like they groom another rabbit, nibbling at their fur to clean it up. Or it can be a rabbit trying to get your attention, for pets, for food, etc. It can also be a sign of sexual attention or sexual frustration in unaltered rabbits.

But nipping is a behavior you want to try and discourage and make sure it's not rewarded after they do it, like moving out of their way after they nip to get you to move. Instead you want to teach them to get your attention with a nose nudge or other way that doesn't involve nipping.

If the nipping is happening because of hormones, then spaying will take care of it. If it's behavioral, good or bad, it's more about either establishing yourself as the 'top bun' in the hierarchy, or about teaching your bun that it's something that hurts. A semi loud 'eep' right when she does it, can sometimes be enough to teach a rabbit not to do it anymore. If that doesn't work, and spaying doesn't fix it, then immediately after she does it I would clap my hands, say 'no', and gently but firmly shoo her out of the immediate space and claim it for myself. That's basically rabbit language for this is my spot and I'm the boss. I may even turn my back to her while glancing back at her(sign of being upset, insulted, or displeased).

Which method to use will depend on why she's doing it. If she's doing it to be bossy, then telling her no and claiming her space would be the one to use. If she's doing it while grooming or wants attention, then I would try an 'eep'.

This list of rabbit behaviors is pretty good, though definitely not perfect or complete.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Understanding_your_rabbit

I have had her for about a month. Her current diet is a cup of veggies is the morning,( 70% kale, 30% mix of celery, carrot slivers, blueberries, grape tomatoes) then in the late afternoon, she gets rabbit pellet food, and she always has Timothy hay that has dried botanicals mixed in. She also has a little mineral block in her cage.
her cage is what I got with her, but for the most part, she runs around the house all day, and only sleeps in her cage at night. I'll attach pics of her. Here are some pics:
She looks like a sweetheart! I’m glad you’re looking after her now.
a few things about her diet and housing:
1) kale is high in calcium and should be fed in limited quantities or it can often cause bladder sludge and other urinary problems.
2) celery, carrot, blueberries etc (anything that isn’t leafy green) are high in sugar and should also be fed in limited quantities. Here is a great informative list on bunny safe veggies Suggested Vegetables and Fruits for a Rabbit Diet | House Rabbit Society
3) the cage is very small, even for a Homebase. My boy is freeroamed upstairs, but c&c grids and dog play pens make for great cages. There are some threads on here, that show some good cage recommendations and ideas. 2020 Indoor Cages... add your photo!
4) it’s usually easiest for rabbits to drink out of bowls than bottles, as it’s the most natural for them and they can drink as much as a dog. I like to use a large ceramic dog bowl, that way it can’t be tipped over.

I really like this website for all the basics Home - The Bunny Lady
Thank you for taking her in! That’s awesome 🥰

You are an angel to take her on and love her! she sounds like a happy little girl. I had a lionhead a bit back...they are feisty little buns with HUGE personalities! There are some really good websites for disabled bunnies online.....Disabled Rabbits is one. Even with the extra care that goes into taking care of a disabled rabbit (my Leroy was quite disabled for the last 2 years of his life) she will bless you more than you know...

Thank you for reaching out to the bunny world. We are all here to learn so we can be the best bunny parents we can be 💗

My most important recommendation (including what was already said prior ☺️) is to find a bunny savvy vet and get a wellness check done.
Many things can be diagnosed in the visit and will be a high benifit to your beautiful bunny's care.
You'll know what sex, fixed or not, teeth good, body good and will be able to give you an answer on the ears.

Thank you again for caring for bun bun 💞

Back