tooth grinding- good or bad?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jskittle

Reaction score
Frank tends to grind his teeth whenever he is getting pets.
he seems totally relaxed when he does it, and is usually melted into the floor while doing it. but I have seen some mixed reports behind teeth grinding in rabbits. some say its from pain, or fear, and some say its similar to purring...

just wondering what other people have to say- when does your rabbit grind their teeth? if they do.

When I pet or smooch my rabbits they will sometimes make little munching noises with their teeth. It seems like they like it. When they really like it they will vibrate their teeth. When they're in pain they grind their teeth loudly and assume an uncomfortable looking hunched posture. Thankfully that has happened very rarely.

Happy tooth grinding usually accompanies you grooming them; eyes will close and ears will be relaxed. If they are hiding, hunched up and grinding, that's not a good sign.

Lovelace chatters his teeth when I pet & groom him, which I've always thought means he's happy. If he were acting differently than usual and not eating/drinking I would be concerned.

My Trixie does it all the time. She kicks her back feet straight out and then lets me pet her ears. A few seconds later her eyes start to close, and I hear the tooth grinding. She seems extremely content because her nose twitching starts to become very minimal at that point also. Today she rubbed her nose against my nose the whole time I was petting her. What a sweetheart

Latest posts

Back