To spay or not to spay

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by BonbonandJujubee, Jul 13, 2019 at 11:02 PM.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

Tags:
  1. Jul 13, 2019 at 11:02 PM #1

BonbonandJujubee

BonbonandJujubee

BonbonandJujubee

I have been considering spaying my female rabbit when she turns 3, I was wondering if it is dangerous to do so. I have read about a risk of uterine cancer in 4 year old does. I am worried that the surgery for spaying a rabbit is risky and I don't want to lose her to that either.

2. Jul 13, 2019 at 11:49 PM #2

My Bunny Drake

My Bunny Drake

My Bunny Drake

Don’t worry she will be fine. If you don’t spay that will make chances of uterine cancer much higher.

3. Jul 13, 2019 at 11:52 PM #3

Leanne1990

Leanne1990

Leanne1990

I've very recently had my 4 year old female spayed, (I rescued her) everything went good, obviously with rabbits there's the risk from anesthetic. But shes so much friendlier now and less of a grumpy madam, I'm hoping to bond her with my neutered male Belgian hare so it needed to be done :)

4. Jul 14, 2019 at 1:19 AM #4

John Wick

John Wick

John Wick

Being worried is natural, and I think everyone is nervous for it. It's only after you go through it that you realize "Oh, it wasn't a big deal after all."

There are a lot of stories online of spays going wrong, but I try to keep two things in mind:

1) People are more likely to post when spays go wrong than right, so there's so many successful spays you don't read about online.

2) A lot of spays that go wrong can be tracked back to an inexperienced vet or an underlying health conditions in the rabbit. These are things that are in your control, so if you ensure you have a rabbit-vet experienced with spays (not all rabbit vets are necessarily good with spays, so definitely ask about experience!) and that your rabbit is healthy, you're setting yourself up for success.

Popsicles, Leanne1990 and Niomi like this.
  5. Jul 14, 2019 at 4:27 AM #5

Niomi

Niomi

Niomi

The Humane Society where I live spay/neuter all of their rabbits before adopting them out no matter what their age is. The procedure is a lot more common than it used to be years ago. It shouldn't be too hard to find an experienced vet. I think the most important thing is to get a vet that works with rabbits and exotics.