Tips on shedding rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billythebun

Reaction score
I am pretty sure my Billy is going through a shed. I brush him every other day anyway, but he seems like a lot of fur is coming off him so now I brush him every day. I am the first time mummy of a rabbit but I did a lot of research before I got him ( I am also adopting a girl bun soon too, exciting!). I digress... I was just wandering if there was anything else I can do to help his shed. He is supposedly a Lion head but I think he is a lion head mix because he doesn't really have a mane but is generally quite fluffy. I feel like the brushing isn't that effective- it may be the brushes which I am using (which is annoying because I researched it for ages) but if anybody has any recommendations, I am all ears. Sometimes I just stroke his bum and hair comes out more effectively than with the brushes. I am really paranoid that he will get a matte. Do I need to brush his stomach? He hates being picked up...I can brush everywhere else easily- even his bum haha.
I read that they need plentiful water in shed, but he has that anyway. Basically I am wondering if there are any secret tips that will make the shed better! Thanks in advance.

I really like the comb like this one:
upload_2018-10-15_15-16-19.png

Regular brushing during a shed is a good idea but I don't go overboard with lots of brushing or combing. I tend to use my bare hand more often.:) I also provide lots of hay to help pass any ingested fur.

You may already know this but since you are new to the forum, I'll ask anyway. Are you planning on getting an already spayed girl? Is your boy neutered?

I am so paranoid that I am going to not do it right! Okay, I won’t over brush him. That brush looks good. Similar to mine! He has loads of hay so that is fine.
He was neutered last Thursday bless him. I was very nervous but it was for the best. He is getting is vaccinations this week- he is only young at 7 months. I am planning on adopting a spayed girl, yes.

I have the same brush Blue Eyes posted, and it works great... if your buns let you brush them with it. Mine don't like it at all, and the best I can do is an all-rubber brush they dislike a bit less that works kind of decently.

At the end of the day, bare hands is my go-to method. Anything else just turns into a struggle.

Ypu can try the dog glove it helps...it is a glove with rubber tips and you pet and clean fur @ the same time. Also, to help, often when my buns are shedding I will dampen my hand/s and pet them, the fur sticks good then I roll it into a ball. I try to groom outdoors the best I can, otherwise I sneeze fur balls hahaha....

Latest posts

Back