Tiny rabbits in my neighborhood

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CookieNCream

Reaction score
I remember asking once if there was a breed of rabbits that don't grow big, and I remember that the answer was no.

Well, there are these little small brown rabbits with white tails that hop around in our neighborhood, and gosh, they are always so small! I've never seen a big one. They are the size of Cookie when I first got him. They are less fat, though, and just light brown.

Any ideas? My mom says that's probably because they don't get as much food as indoor rabbits, and someone suggested that I may be only seeing baby rabbits, but I don't think that's the case.

:dude:Yujin

Could they bePygmys?Unfortuately many areendangered, almost extinct in WA state, butI think more common in CA.

Sure they're not feraldomestics? Cottontails can be pretty small, too.

http://www.pacificbio.org/ESIN/Mammals/PygmyRabbit/pygmyrabbit_files/image002.jpg

PYGMY RABBIT

1891. Lepus idahoensis Merriam, N. Amer. Fauna, 5:76. Type Locality: Pahsimeroi Valley, near Goldburg, Custer Co., Idaho.
1904. Brachylagus idahoensis, Lyon, Smithsonian Misc. Coll., 45:411.

Distribution: Pygmy[/b] rabbits[/b] are found only in the Great Basin and contiguous areas in Sagebrush-dominated communities. They occur from southeastern Washington southward to about Inyo Co., California[/b], and eastward to western Utah and southeastern Idaho. In California[/b], they occur in eastern Modoc, Lassen, and Mono counties and probably in northern Inyo County. Their occurrence is very spotty throughout their geographic range (Green and Flinders, 1980).

Population Status: Pygmy[/b] Rabbits[/b] have a limited and spotty distribution, being strictly confined to suitable stands of Sagebrush (primarily Artemisia tridentata) and Rabbitbrush (Chrysothamnus spp.). Although Pygmy[/b] Rabbits[/b] may seem common where found, they are not numerous over their geographic range.

The current population status of Pygmy[/b] Rabbits[/b] in California[/b] is unknown, but their numbers have probably declined in the past several years. Loss of habitat to cultivation is less of a factor than loss of habitat by overgrazing. Even though overgrazing favors growth of woody shrubs such as Sagebrush over perennial grasses, cattle often congregate in tall stands of Sagebrush, seeking shade in summer, protection from wind, and relief from insects. Frequently, cattle trample and otherwise open up the understory from ground level up to 1 to 1.5 m, reducing food and shelter for Pygmy[/b] Rabbits[/b]. Brush clearing on rangelands and range fires also reduce available habitat for Pygmy[/b] Rabbits[/b]. In Oregon, Weiss and Verts (1984) found evidence of a marked decrease in occupancy of sites between 1981 and 1983. They suggested that Pygmy[/b] Rabbit populations are susceptible to rapid declines and local extirpations. The fragmentation of Sagebrush communities poses a potential threat to extant populations because of this susceptibility.

Habitat: Pygmy[/b] Rabbits[/b] are associated only with dense stands of tall Sagebrush and rabbitbrush. Soils must be friable for burrowing. Weiss and Verts (1984) found that Pygmy[/b] Rabbits[/b] were associated with areas with greater shrub cover, shrub height, soil strength, and soil depth in comparison to adjacent, unoccupied sites. There was no significant association with percent basal area of perennial grasses, density of annual grasses, density of forbs, or cryptogam cover. Burrows of Pygmy[/b] Rabbits[/b] are usually placed on slopes (Green and Flinders, 1980). Food consists principally of Big Sagebrush (A. tridentata) in winter (up to 99% of the diet), whereas grasses form a significant portion of the diet in summer. White et al. (1982) found differential use of populations of Big Sagebrush, but were unable to associate this with known variations in the chemical composition of A. tridentata populations. Captives, however, showed no significant preference as food for one type of Sagebrush subspecies over others. Weiss and Verts (1984) determined that occupancy of sites by Pygmy[/b] Rabbits[/b] in Oregon was not dependent upon the presence of particular subspecies of Sagebrush.

Recommendations: Detailed information on distribution, habitat associations, abundance, and numbers of Pygmy[/b] Rabbits[/b] killed by hunters in California[/b] are needed. Management of habitat for Pygmy[/b] Rabbits[/b] is probably the most important element in ensuring their survival. Land and resource management agencies in California[/b] should be encouraged to develop needed information on Pygmy[/b] Rabbit populations and to consider habitat for Pygmy[/b] Rabbits[/b] in land and resource management.

Remarks: The Pygmy[/b] Rabbit is designated as a Resident Small Game species in California[/b]. There is an open season for hunting from 1 July through January, with a daily bag limit of five. Although the effect of hunting on Pygmy[/b] Rabbit populations is not known, hunters probably do not kill many because Pygmy[/b] Rabbits[/b] are quite secretive and rarely venture from dense brush; they usually retreat to their burrows when threatened.

Pgymy rabbits were in the news this week as scientists were reintroducing them as they were virtually extinct. Although I guess there could be more that one variety.

Wild rabbits are quite a bit smaller and more streamline/leggy than pet bunnies.

Tam

I just took this picture 5 minutes ago it's the Mommie and one of her babies. Supposedly their are 3 babies (my neighbour saw them) but I've only seen this one.

DSC01313.jpg

Susan

Yes, I found you guys again :D! Took a few internet searches, though... I was starting to think the forum was gone completely!!
Anyway, it depends where in California you live, CookieNCream, and what the environment is like.
Your local rabbits could also be brush rabbits, Sylvilagus Bachmanii, though since you didn't say exactly how big yours are, I'm not sure.
But yes, your mom is right, too.
They do grow bigger with better food, as my Hazel plainly shows :D. A friend of ours also adopted a wild one, and hers too is bigger than the outdoors, "real" wild ones. (come to think of it, they're both too big to be brush rabbits, they fit the description of Eastern Cottontails much better, and yes, those also occur here in California.)

Edited to add some info on the brush rabbits:

Brush Rabbit Sylvilagus bachmani Family: Leporidae, Hares and Rabbits
Description
A small rabbit. Reddish brown mottled with black in summer; paler, but still mottled, in winter. Short legs. Small tail. Short, dark ears. L 11–14 3/4" (280–375 mm); T 3/4–1 5/8" (20–43 mm); HF 2 5/8–3 3/8" (67–85 mm); E 2–2 1/2" (50–64 mm); Wt 1–2 lb (450–965 g). (notice the weight... 1-2 lb.. that is tiny)
Habitat
Thick, brushy areas, especially where some brush has been cut.
Range
West Coast from Oregon to Baja California, Mexico.

Discussion
Adult Brush Rabbits are primarily nocturnal, but the young are often active by day. This species does not dig burrows and rarely retreats into the burrow of another animal, even when pursued, although it may climb into low brush to escape. Green clover is a favorite food, but the Brush Rabbit also eats grasses, plantains, and various berries, and, in winter, woody vegetation, primarily salal and Douglas fir. The mother covers the nest with a blanket of grass before leaving it. The young mature in four to five months. Lynx, Coyotes, hawks, and snakes are among the predators of this species.

Latest posts

Back