Tigger at the hospital

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porpy

Reaction score
I am so glad I found this board, I didnt know it had moved I just thought it had been offline doh!!

Tigger was spayed about 2 weeks ago, they said they were going to use dissolvable stitches but when I collected her they'd used staples. And the scar is really long too far bigger than i expected. Anyway she was off her food for a couple of days and then would eat veggies but no pellets at all. I took her back yesterday to have the staples removed and as they took them out there was goo coming out of the staple holes. She's all infected behind the opening. The vet took her in and they have operated on her this morning. I've just had a call that i can collect her but that they'll want her back every 2 days for antibiotic injections. Has anyone been through this or have any advice for what I should ask or any special care she'll need. Poor baby they've put her through another general anaesthetic!!

Yeah I was really shocked, but Ive never had a rabbit spayed before so I didnt question it too much, when I asked why the opening was so big the nurse said that sometimes it was necessary if the tummy has fat it makes things difficult. But she's not a fat bunny, not at all.

Aw, bless you both. I don't have any advice, but I hope that Tigger is ok and fights through this, and I'm really glad you found us :)

Thinking of you both.

That is awful i would seriously be questioning this? i take it they cleared out the infection when they took her in the second time. I would be keeping a very close eye even inbetween the vet visits. Do you know which vet did the op and how long they have been doing it for?

Also i know its not as much use now but our vets have always said to put a towel or a blanket in their hutch instaed of wood shaving or whatever you use so it doesn't irritate the wound till its fully healed.

Thinking of Tigger

That's horrible!!:(Poor Tigger. I agree that you should deffinetly question the vet that did the operation. If they say they're using stiches and they use stapples i'd be concerned. it sounds like the vet is new to bunny fixings. I'de ask more questions.

Hope it goes okay:hug2:

-TK

That is horrible. Best wishes to Tigger for a speedy recovery. Priority should be on getting her healthy. I would also hope she is on aggressive pain meds too. After this crisis is over...I would have an intense heart to heart talk with the vet, practice manager and the owner of the hospital. I can't believe that any vet would use staples on a rabbit....we don't even use external sutures on spays....only internal and a close with tissue glue. I'm at a loss for words that I can use on a family board. I know we all are pulling for Tigger.

Randy

POOR TIGGER! My heart goes out to you. I didn't think anyone used staples on rabbits! Please let us know how she is.

After this is all over, I'd have some strong words for the Vet!

Latest posts

Back