Thumping and Circling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bijoux

Reaction score
Hi All,

I got a guinea pig a couple days ago and it needed some extra attention as it had some health issues (dietary and not contagious)

All of a sudden Bijoux is doing different behaviours that he hadn't before. He's more interested in me and where I am and what I'm doing. When I'm standing still he circles me, thumps, circles the other way, thumps, goes around the other way again, and keeps doing this until I move.

Any clues? He doesn't seem unhappy, he just seems to want to play.

He's due fo a neuter on Thursday, is that going to take his spunkiness away? I'm rather enjoying it.:cry2

He sounds very male and very horny, to be honest. This sort of thing can often be followed with spraying, humping and also nipping, so be prepared for those things too. He may also have a bit of jealousy in there, or wanting to make sure you know you are his.

A neuter generally makes a bunny more friendly and sociable and less of a ball of hormone. It takes a while for hormones to die though, and if this is behavioural as opposed to hormonal then it may not make too much difference. Each rabbit is different really, when it comes to how a neuter affects them, obviously there are similarities, but each will come out of it slightly differently. I have a couple that still act pretty male, but are just very sweet and loving with it.

Good luck for Tuesday :)

I just noticed he is also making a noise. It sounds similar to a guinea pig chatter when their p*ssed, but its much softer and not angry sounding. I almost thought it was labored breathing and I guess it could be as he has just been running all over the place tonight.

I guess I timed the neuter right if its hormones making him like this.

That sounds like mating chatter, lol. They have a very distinct noise that they make when really in the mood. That sounds like that, to be honest.

I have to agree sounds like hormones. Good thing he is getting neutered.

Back