Thor has white crusty discharge from nose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Must_Love_Pets

Reaction score
:(Woke up this morning and did the ususal routine before I go to work. Well asI was saying good morning to Thor, he greeted me as usual but with a little bit if white crusty discharge below his adorable little nose. Of course I semi panic because he is around my other 2 bunnies. There is no sneezing just the discharge. I instantly went to his hay and bowl to see if he was eating and he has. I wiped his nose with a damp washcloth to get the discharge off and he wanted to play tug-o-war with the washcloth and run off with it. He did his normal this morning by bolting when I opened the gate to his run and did his adorable clumbsy binkies. So here I am at work doing nothing but worry. I have called my lab and requested a swab to be sent to me so I can send back a sample for immidiate results. I need some big prayers that this is not Pasturella! It will break my heart. This means my other 2 have already been exposed. This could very well be a heartbreaking nightmare. I am more than anxious to get home and gett hem all seperated as I did not have time this morning or I would have been extremly late to work and they is not allowed. I can rant about that to no end!:X

Whatever it may be, he may have gotten it from the rabbit show or he could have very well gotten it from the rescue bunny althought the Yoshi shows no signs. I have been more than cautious and have sanitized everything including me and my clothing since Yoshi has been with us and keepinghim no where near my other buns. I even keep Yoshis frozen bottles seperate. The one time Yoshi did was when he jumped the pen and ran to greet Kramer at the run gate was the only time. Well we all know it can only take one time as Pasturella is HIGHLY contagious. Ther ehave also been times where bunnies have shown the same symptoms for 1 day then disapear. I am crossing my fingers for that.

Please send some possitive thoughts our way and hope that it is not Pasturella.

:pray:

Rabbits often carry latent infectious agentsin their bodies which many times do not lead to symptoms at all. Oftentimes a rabbit who is really stressed or possibly elderly will develop a bacterial infection that is in the category of bacterial infections that are often referred to as "pasturella"
Your rabbit may be having immune issues right now particularly if he attended a rabbit show which is a stressor.

These types of infections are really treatable if an effective antibiotic ( or 2 ) is administered. Antibiotics sold at the feed store and added to water (terramycin) is not going to do much other than create bacteria that are even stronger.

These types of infections respond well to oral azithromycin /Zithromax )and even bicillin injections. Injectable Convenia (off-label for rabbits) is often effective The most important thing that you can do (after seeing a rabbit saavy vet) is to get him on a potent antibiotic ata therapeutic dose ( many vets tend to underdose rabbits )

Baytril (enrofloxicin ) is probably not enough but Zeniquen (marbofloxicin) may help...

Infections like these are far from hopeless.

He is behaving normally now , but rabbits will attempt to hide symptoms as long as they can so your rabbit's behavior is not a reason to think that he is not ill..he just has not bottomed out yet.
I can give you a list and dosage of acceptable antibiotic for rabbits and also a list of vets in Ca .

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

This is a list of vets that has been used by current and previous forum memebers.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11590&forum_id=9

Thank you so much for the information. I know I explained that he is acting quite himself but I do know that they hide very well. Working for a vet for over 12 years has given me a lot of expeirence and a wide variety of knowledge. I am always learning more and more even though I have been out of that field for over 5 years now. It's a field of endless learning. I will first see how the Aerobic culture and sensativity come back so I know what I am dealing with and go from there. I called nd had my BF check on him and he said he see's no dischrge as of right now. So this makes me think he could have sniffed something wet and whatever it was crusted on his nose. I can only hope:pray: I know less about rabbit health than I do cat and dog and so I appriciate all the info I can get. But like I said, once I know what I am dealing with I can treat at home depending on the results. This link you provided is extreemly helpful, thank you!!!!!!I have quite an emergancy kit at home too so I have some of these readily available. If nessessary I will be taking him to my family vet that I use to work for. She is a rabbit saavy vet and I trust her with all of my animals. Her name is Dr. Margo Hogan and she is FABULOUS!! She would be the one to tell me well you already know this but lets go over it. LOL

Thank you so much again!!!

yepp, just keep an eye and ear out (for sneezing and wet nose..) it may have been nothing, but better to be safe than sorry. My bunny curently has Pasturella (we believe) and I don't know what I'm going to do for her. If she continues to get worse, I have a dectsion before me. ='/

So Thor has not had any of the crusty nose since that one day last weeek. He has been completely clear. He was never sneezing so Ia ssuming he just dipped his nose in something. I am still sending in a swab to be safe though and still keeping a close eye on him and taking the percautions.

I am a very happy slave right now :)

Latest posts

Back