this weekend is it!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunbunmommy

Reaction score
As some of you may know, I lost my sweet Bun Bun last September from GI Stasis... It's been rough, not a day goes by where I dont think about him. I've been reluctant to get another lil bun because I just wasnt ready.
A month to the day of his passing, a stray white puppy came into our lives (bun bun was all white too) she was sick and dying and we nursed her back to health. We found a wonderful family to adopt her and she is a happy loving pup. it almost felt like a lil sign from bun bun that he was ok. if that even makes sense. While we had her, we started crate training her so i bought this giant 48" dog crate, when we adopted her out, i was left with this awesome new bunny cage.

I miss having a bunny to come home to and i finally decided to bring one that needs a loving family home.

Im looking at Holland Lops this time around, I only had my boy, I was wondering what girls are like and if both are just as sweet as the other.

Can anyone share any info on holland lops? My Bun Bun was a netherland dwarf and what a personality he had! he knew the sound of my high heels coming up the walkway and would run to the front door and wait for me to come inside so he could run circles around my feet.

Awwwww, what a sweet memory to cherish! So glad you are now feeling ready for another bunny! Sorry I can't answer questions about Holland lops but everything I've read they sound wonderful! If I didn't already have my 2 Jersey wooly girls, I would consider a Holland lop. Anyway, I know you'll be getting some replies soon & I will be following this thread to learn more about the Holland lops & to follow what you decide! Can't wait to meet that special little bun who steals your heart!

Awwwww, what a sweet memory to cherish! So glad you are now feeling ready for another bunny! Sorry I can't answer questions about Holland lops but everything I've read they sound wonderful! If I didn't already have my 2 Jersey wooly girls, I would consider a Holland lop. Anyway, I know you'll be getting some replies soon & I will be following this thread to learn more about the Holland lops & to follow what you decide! Can't wait to meet that special little bun who steals your heart!

it is a happy memory. He was such an awesome lil guy.
how are your girl bunnies? Ive never owned a girl before

I had a male holland lop he was great! I have also had a female dutch and she was very loving but a little brat. I have a female chinchilla rabbit right now that I just adopted and she is very sweet but still grunts a bit.

I must say that Holland Lops are my favorite rabbit breed! :)

I own a 7yr old Male Holland Lop, named Murphy. He is FANTASTIC! Full of personality, and also very loving and sweet. I also love the size! He isn't super tiny, or huge. I've also heard that Holland Lops are very easy to train! I've never tried training him, but he definitely loves his treats, haha.

1303261_orig.jpg

2645_60450566766_3761448_n.jpg

2645_60451516766_6293454_n.jpg

24341_388689481766_1707644_n.jpg

My only bunny experience has been with Jersey woolys. Both my girls (sisters from the same litter) are very will-mannered, well-behaved girls! Very sweet but they aren't super cuddle bunnies. Kind of like cats, they will put up with it but most of the time their preference is to play bunny games & limit cuddles to their own schedule! lol Also, they have always been together so I don't know how an individual female bun might be different personality-wise to my to girls. Faith, the bunny in my avatar is a bit bigger & seems to be a bit jealous of my giving Hope pets or other forms of attention at times. Hope is shyer with people but if given a chance loves to explore & find trouble! lol The one drawback to the girl bunnies as I see it is spaying them if they aren't already spayed. I'm a worry wart & spaying is such an invasive surgery requiring anesthesia with its own potential problems to a healthy bunny. Oh, my girls are good with their litter pan unless they feel I haven't cleaned it out soon enough to suit them! lol Also, they do have a pee accident when they are mad or upset with me about something but that isn't very often. So I am totally in love with my 2 Jersey wooly does! I don't think I could ask for any better buns! Do it again? Absolutely! They are so good I get worried thinking something must be wrong when I read some of the posts here at RO! lol So don't discount a lovely lady bun in your life!

I have seen and heard of many people that suggest males buns tend to make better pets than females.

I believe it all just depends on the buns personality. I do have an intact male. I got him from a breeder planning on only having him and not planning on having him neutered unless absolutely necessary due to hormonal behavior. I was told by the breeder that with having only one bun that shouldn't be a problem and it never has been.

I also have two intact females. My neighbor had them and was going to release them outside unless I took them, so I did.

I love all of the buns but yes the male is my heart bun. he is so laid back and always has been. He doesn't mind much at all. The girls are easier to frighten and aren't big on affection or being petted. I can't say it has to do with the sex though because the male came from a different background then the females, was raised differently and the females are a smaller bun of mixed breed where the male is a flemmish giant.

The one thing I am certain of is that if you get a female plan to have her spayed. It does help to prevent cancer in the females and from what I have seen with the girls the hormones can really affect them. neither of the girls bite but there are times that they just go a little crazy compared to their normal behavior and one has thoughts she was pregnant 3 times so far. IMO it seems to put a bit of stress on them or at least I think it would as they can get so focused on building a nest.

that was very helpful, thank you. My Bun Bun was an intact male, and aside from the occasional humping of my leg, he was perfect as is. He passed away the night after surgery, so having to get a female spayed really freaks me out. Bunny surgery now just really makes me uneasy. He was not a cuddly bunny, he tolerated it sometimes but he was much happier spread out on the living room floor doing his own thing, never once bit me though.

Im thinking I might do better with a male this time around as well

I have seen and heard of many people that suggest males buns tend to make better pets than females.

I believe it all just depends on the buns personality. I do have an intact male. I got him from a breeder planning on only having him and not planning on having him neutered unless absolutely necessary due to hormonal behavior. I was told by the breeder that with having only one bun that shouldn't be a problem and it never has been.

I also have two intact females. My neighbor had them and was going to release them outside unless I took them, so I did.

I love all of the buns but yes the male is my heart bun. he is so laid back and always has been. He doesn't mind much at all. The girls are easier to frighten and aren't big on affection or being petted. I can't say it has to do with the sex though because the male came from a different background then the females, was raised differently and the females are a smaller bun of mixed breed where the male is a flemmish giant.

The one thing I am certain of is that if you get a female plan to have her spayed. It does help to prevent cancer in the females and from what I have seen with the girls the hormones can really affect them. neither of the girls bite but there are times that they just go a little crazy compared to their normal behavior and one has thoughts she was pregnant 3 times so far. IMO it seems to put a bit of stress on them or at least I think it would as they can get so focused on building a nest.

Murphy is adorable! does he like to be held? easy to catch if he's out running around the house?

I own a 7yr old Male Holland Lop, named Murphy. He is FANTASTIC! Full of personality, and also very loving and sweet. I also love the size! He isn't super tiny, or huge. I've also heard that Holland Lops are very easy to train! I've never tried training him, but he definitely loves his treats, haha.

I have Lady a Broken Holland Lop and I love her to death. I was able to train her within days to hop back into her cage from her laying on the floor in the kitchen to let the dogs pass to go to the back door to use the bathroom.. Smart? you bet, I can't get my dogs to do something like that! I've only had her since November and now I just point to the top of the cage and she will get up and jump into the cage, wait for the dogs to come back in, and after I open the cage will hop back out.

She's smart as a whip. I would get a little girl if I were you.. Here are some pictures of her. She is a rescue and when I got her in November she was 8 months old.

Even though from her getting under the bed I broke my ribs, I would not trade her for the world..

Vanessa

IMG_0416.jpg

these are a few that I will get to meet tomorrow, the top two are males, the bottoms females
the little grey one is 9 weeks old and i was told he is just the sweetest bunny

I like the little broken ones at the bottom but I could be partial because they
look similar to Lady..actually they are all cute **** it!:hbunnysmell:

Vanessa

Murphy is adorable! does he like to be held? easy to catch if he's out running around the house?

Thanks!!!

He doesn't like to be held, but loves to sit in my lap for pettings. He TOLERATES being held! Long enough for me to transport him from his cage outdoors, or to do his nails, or to be put in my lap for lovings. He is VERY easy to catch to put back in his cage!

I prefer Males to Females. The ONLY Female I have had experience with is my current Lionhead, and she is not very friendly at all...

He is beautiful. What a handsome bunny!!! What a beauty...

Vanessa

From the pix it would be a tough decision to choose one but male or female the right bun will pick you & you will know it is to be your bun! Congratulations in advance on your new bunny! Can't wait to hear who you chose & what won your heart & made him/her your love bunny!

OOH gorgeous he is lovely good luck.. we have a female lop and she is lovely.. very sweet and no aggression at all.. ithink it is different for each rabbit regardless of male or female.. and his first binky. Sounds like he is going to give you lots of fun... gorgeous boy xxx more pics please.. :pinkbouce:

Back