This is why I don't buy from pet stores

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvall

Reaction score
As some of you know, I recently aquired a foster rabbit, and I only do shelter pets. I will not under any circumstances buy a pet from a store. Many of you are aware of puppy mills, but small animal farms are different right? Wrong.

Mod Note: WARNING! GRAPHIC CONTENT!!!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLEimMB-IF8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLEimMB-IF8[/ame]
http://www.petsmartcruelty.com/
BTW- I am NOT a supporter of PETA or anything, but the video is informational, so I thought I would share it. No negative comments please. Thanks

I didn't know Petsmart got their animals from there???!?!?!?!!?!?!
I know our Petsmart is linked with the humane society, so we have cats from the humaine society in our Petsmart, but Idk where they get their hamsters and lizards and birds from. Thats bad :( I know our Pet Store in our mall gets their animals from mills D: I don't support them.

Unfortunately, almost all pet stores's animals that are for sale usually come from mill breeders or backyard breeders. Those places are horrific and don't care at all about the animals that they are producing.

And those videos are pretty graphic, so some viewers should be aware.

What a sad video - so many pictures that really tug on your emotions - and yes - as a rabbit breeder - I sat here with tears on my face.

Unfortunately - what the video fails to mention - is that there are MANY MANY MANY rabbit breeders that don't keep their rabbits in that condition. I know of breeders who take their rabbits to the vet if they're at all ill - many breeders pay a LOT for rabbit food even though they never break even financially (I know I never will) - and many of them a lot of time on a daily and weekly basis taking care of their stock.

Many good breeders that I know of won't allow people into their barn....either they've had rabbits stolen in the past - or they might have a doe kindling, etc. etc. As a breeder - I would not let just anyone into my rabbitry - partly because it is in my home and so they would see our computers, tv, etc. as they walked through the house.

But you can tell a rabbit from a "good" breeder versus a "rabbit mill". Look at the eyes...look at the fur....watch the personality of the rabbit. A good breeder will have healthy rabbits and often offer a guarantee - whether its on the internet or in person.

Anyway - I just wanted to point out what the video wouldn't want to point out because it would detract from their message - and that is - the fact that there are a LOT of good breeders out there with healthy rabbits that are loved and well cared for.

By the way - I was approached today by the manager of Tractor Supply to see about supplying rabbits during "rabbit season". I sorta shook my head and repeated the phrase and she was like, "You know...March/April...etc". Oh Duh. I get it...Easter. She said that they get in the chickens, etc. but they are responsible for finding their own local breeders in the area for the rabbits.

I thanked her but told her I would not have any available at that time.

I wanted to tell her all about Easter bunnies and how often they're neglected - but she was very busy with it being Black Friday and I figured I would wait for a better time to educate her.

I hate it. You want to rescue the animals from the bad conditions but by doing so, you are supporting the person putting the animals in those conditions. :grumpy: Is it really that hard to just treat everything humanely? I know people have differing opinions about what 'humane' means, but come on. Common sense people.

Ugh, and I just bought a x-pen from PetSmart today. Usually I go to the neighborhood pet store that doesn't sell animals.

I know PetSmart sucks. Every time I go in one, I complain about the conditions that the animals are living in to a manager. I'm never rude or threatening or fanatical, I just point out various hazards and what not. But every time I come back, nothing has changed.

Just because you're "up to code" doesn't mean it's good for the animals.

My hubby will be going to law school next year. I told him the other day that he should be aware that a lot of his salary will be going towards bunnies and rescues. :D He is aware and on board with this!

I love my hubby! :biggrin2:

Tinysmom, I support the good breeders, like you! please don't think otherwise, the video mentions that you can go to good breeders, or rescues :)

Also, most petcos and petsmarts DO help care about the shelter dogs , and shelter cats.... it makes them seem like decent places, which the are not..... grrrr... lol

lovebunnyok, good for you! and your husband!

all of our rabbits are rescues. If anyone asks us about getting one, we always recommend that they go to a shelter. We buy supplies and nothing else from pet stores. While it is true that not all breeders are so callous and uncaring about their animals, clearly, there are just too many that are. We also support several organizations including PETA even though we don't always support the actions of some of their members, by and large, they do a good job and we support them because they do support the animals. We used to have a Petland store near us that was really pretty good. I was talking with a couple of the kids and the manager there about their rabbits and made a couple of suggestions on how to better care for the bunnies and the next day they had moved their display and reconfigured it so it was much better for the bunnies--they truly cared for their charges unlike the horror story in Ohio. However, Petland in general can go to the "theological place of eternal punishment" before I will spend a nickel there.

luvall wrote:
Tinysmom, I support the good breeders, like you! please don't think otherwise, the video mentions that you can go to good breeders, or rescues :)

Also, most petcos and petsmarts DO help care about the shelter dogs , and shelter cats.... it makes them seem like decent places, which the are not..... grrrr... lol

lovebunnyok, good for you! and your husband!
I understand that - but I also know of good breeders that won't let you see their bunnies and it isn't because they're in bad conditions but sometimes its because you have to go through their house to get to the basement (if that is where they're raised) or because they've had bad experiences.

Its funny - I would have no qualms showing another breeder my rabbitry (once I get my bunny barn up and the rabbits out of my house) - but someone just off the street? Don't know - I'd have to think on that one.

Also - as a breeder - I have at times taken in sick animals and nursed them to health - or taken rabbits that were going to be put down because they weren't show quality and rehomed them myself later on.

I don't mean to imply that adopting from a shelter isn't a good thing - as many on here know - I got my Zeus from a shelter that was willing to let me have him even though I bred.

I guess I just felt that the video (to me) felt so anti-breeder and yet some of my good friends are breeders who would be horrified at those conditions also!

I'm sorry to ANYONE who is offended, or finds it antibreeder, that was NOT my intention, so please don't take it that way. I am not a big fan of dog and cat breeding because dogs and cats are sort of overpopulated right now, but i think being a responsable bunny breeder is great. I am sorry again if anyone is offended, This is more antichain store than antibreeder.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
all of our rabbits are rescues. If anyone asks us about getting one, we always recommend that they go to a shelter. We buy supplies and nothing else from pet stores. While it is true that not all breeders are so callous and uncaring about their animals, clearly, there are just too many that are. We also support several organizations including PETA even though we don't always support the actions of some of their members, by and large, they do a good job and we support them because they do support the animals. We used to have a Petland store near us that was really pretty good. I was talking with a couple of the kids and the manager there about their rabbits and made a couple of suggestions on how to better care for the bunnies and the next day they had moved their display and reconfigured it so it was much better for the bunnies--they truly cared for their charges unlike the horror story in Ohio. However, Petland in general can go to the "theological place of eternal punishment" before I will spend a nickel there.
well said :p

Almost all animals are overpopulated. The blame lies on irresponsible pet owners who can't afford spays & neuters/don't care that their animal is reproducing/or want cute baby animals for a profit (BY breeder).

I support reputable breeders breeding to get the best of the breed standard (in a humane & "live for this breed" way).

The videos are very sad, but I find that the maker of the youtube video put in a piece of misinformation: "...In some states they don't even have to give them feed or water." That isn't true - because that would count as animal cruelty and all animals HAVE to be fed - it's not that it's not a law, it's just the choice whether they supply the food/water or not. And no, I'm not sticking up for these rabbit mills; I'm just pointing out this piece of misinformation. ;) I also found that the maker needs to use spellcheck ;) No one is going to believe information if it's not spelled correctly.

And I agree with Peg. The video fails to mention that that is not how many, many breeders keep their rabbits. ;)

Emily

That's so sad :(
I don't see how the videos are anti breeder at all :?

The OP said in her first post that these videos showed small animals farms that supply to pet stores. Nothing mentioned about proper rabbit breeders at all and the OP stated how she knew that not all breeders treat their rabbits this way. Also, I don't see why the videos should say that there are good breeders out there. That's not what the videos are about, they are highlighting the fact that some pet stores buy their animals from awful farms.

Did the undercover worker let animals suffer just so she can film their suffering? What was she hired to do? What did she do? Wasn't her job at Petsmart to promote the well being of the animals? So she's worse than Petsmart.

Baby Juliet wrote:
Did the undercover worker let animals suffer just so she can film their suffering? What was she hired to do? What did she do? Wasn't her job at Petsmart to promote the well being of the animals? So she's worse than Petsmart.
Her job was health inspector which is dif. than like a vet..... But I kinda agree with you on that one. She should have atleast tried to help...

There is sooooooo much wrong with the world...................:tears2:

Baby Juliet wrote:
Not sure why you are so negative and can't see the big picture here??

She was hired for the job....so she had to do the job. She wasn't hired at PetSmart, she was hired at Rainbow Exotics (the animal mill). I can imagine it was a very hard thing for this woman to do. Someone had to be the one to go in there and secretly film the abuse....or we would have never known about the abuse. Same thing as people going in and secretly filming the "dirty work" at restaurants. She had to make herself fit in, or her cover would have been blown.

Latest posts

Back