Thinking About Getting A Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you everyone for your advice! I think I’m going to adopt just one right now and do a bunny date when they are older. I would love to visit the bunnies, but I am going to a rescue and they have the bunnies in foster homes. I might email them to see if I could see them though. :)

@Diane R
Actually, even if you keep them together the whole time there is still a chance they won't bond, baby bonds do not count and most people here will attest to that. @Blue eyes has lots of knowledge on this.
It is only a problem when people don't get them neutered early enough and they start fighting. In any case, the bunnies under consideration are 'under 1 year and a half' according to the OP so I assume they are not in fact young babies. They are very likely to be bonded already and in that case it would be far from ideal to just adopt one.

I will be getting the biggest pen that is possible. I’m going to order the pen first and if it doesn’t look big enough I’ll order the crate. I just want to make sure that my new rabbit will have the best life possible. :)

Most pens are pretty standard: 2' wide panels, 8 panels. Some may have fewer panels or panels that are not as wide. Midwest (same maker as the crate) makes standard pens of various heights.

If you make a square out of the standard pen, it is 4' x 4' -- or 16 sq ft -- not very big for a Flemish. But in the photo above where I put the pen ends against an existing wall, the space doubled to about 30 sq ft. --using the same pen.

The crate itself isn't really giving a rabbit any extra space. That would just be a home-base to keep a litter box and bowls. Some people prefer to have that for their rabbit, others do without. It's up to you. Someone mentioned floor grids but those aren't necessary or even recommended for litter trained buns. Just the plastic tray on the bottom is fine, preferred actually as a solid floor makes litter training easier. Those with Flemish Giants typically use very large plastic boxes for litter boxes. The cement mixing tubs from hardware stores work well. Larger boxes make the litter box last longer between cleanings and are more enticing for a full grown rabbit, making them more likely to use it consistently..
Here's a link:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Creative-P...x-36-in-L-x-8-in-D-Drywall-Mud-Pan/1000642569

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your wonderful advice on Flemish giants. I’m starting to feel some doubt about getting a Flemish giant. I feel as if I was so concerned about rescuing a rabbit that I didn’t really think about the breed. There was this other rabbit that I was looking at and he was a Polish rabbit. I am not going to be buying from a breeder or Petstore. If I were to get this rabbit, would I still be rescuing one? I’m worried that I was to concerned about rescuing that I didn’t think whether or not a I could support their needs. Any thoughts about this?

Thanks everyone for your wonderful advice on Flemish giants. I’m starting to feel some doubt about getting a Flemish giant. I feel as if I was so concerned about rescuing a rabbit that I didn’t really think about the breed. There was this other rabbit that I was looking at and he was a Polish rabbit. I am not going to be buying from a breeder or Petstore. If I were to get this rabbit, would I still be rescuing one? I’m worried that I was to concerned about rescuing that I didn’t think whether or not a I could support their needs. Any thoughts about this?
The best thing to do is to go to a rescue centre and adopt a neutered bonded pair.

They are all siblings and yes they are separated. Do you think that I should go for adopting a Flemish giant?
Did you not say those Flemish giants were all siblings? Are they all separated? Makes no sense. But if they have no bonded pairs, just adopt one for now.

They are all siblings and yes they are separated. Do you think that I should go for adopting a Flemish giant?
I can't understand why they are all separated. But just get one then for now, doesn't really matter which one you go for. Personally I would not go for giants as they tend to have a shorter lifespan.

You can adopt from a rescue or take a bunny that’s being rehomed. Either way will help a bunny that needs a new home.

Myself have never bought a bunny from a rescue but I support their work. I have one runt from a breeder and two bunnies that was being rehomed. One was really thin and I could feel all her bones while the other one was aggressive and scared of humans. Maybe I was a bit unlucky when buying bunnies that was up for rehoming but I never regretted buying them. I would had skipped the part of trying to get a bunny to get better and socialize the other one, if I just adopted a bunny. But they all would be the same that needed new homes. The only thing was that they weren’t in a rescue but came from families. I nearly got both my rehomed bunnies for free.

Before I even got my bunnies, many said no and didn’t want to sell a bunny to me. I’m not really a people person. I never thought about, I’m rescuing a bunny I just thought they will get a new home.

So think about what you can provide and see if it will fit your household. So go after size and personalities.

For example giants eats a lot of hay and need a lot more green leaf, so you truly need to buy bulks of hay.

Myself it’s really surprised how much hay my french lop eats and in one month I get 4 big garbage bags of waste when cleaning all the litter box of 3 bunnies (netherland dwarf, holland lop mix & french lop). I go through around 10 kg hay every month, before my french lop moved in, it would be enough for a couple of months. Most waste come from my french lop, she fills half a bag alone in one week easily and I get a lot of waste hay from her. Have no idea what I will do when I live in an apartment xD

You can adopt from a rescue or take a bunny that’s being rehomed. Either way will help a bunny that needs a new home.

Myself have never bought a bunny from a rescue but I support their work. I have one runt from a breeder and two bunnies that was being rehomed. One was really thin and I could feel all her bones while the other one was aggressive and scared of humans. Maybe I was a bit unlucky when buying bunnies that was up for rehoming but I never regretted buying them. I would had skipped the part of trying to get a bunny to get better and socialize the other one, if I just adopted a bunny. But they all would be the same that needed new homes. The only thing was that they weren’t in a rescue but came from families. I nearly got both my rehomed bunnies for free.

Before I even got my bunnies, many said no and didn’t want to sell a bunny to me. I’m not really a people person. I never thought about, I’m rescuing a bunny I just thought they will get a new home.

So think about what you can provide and see if it will fit your household. So go after size and personalities.

For example giants eats a lot of hay and need a lot more green leaf, so you truly need to buy bulks of hay.

Myself it’s really surprised how much hay my french lop eats and in one month I get 4 big garbage bags of waste when cleaning all the litter box of 3 bunnies (netherland dwarf, holland lop mix & french lop). I go through around 10 kg hay every month, before my french lop moved in, it would be enough for a couple of months. Most waste come from my french lop, she fills half a bag alone in one week easily and I get a lot of waste hay from her. Have no idea what I will do when I live in an apartment xD

Thank you for your reply! I really do want to rescue a rabbit, but I just don’t know if I would be able to give the care that a Flemish giant deserves. The one that I was looking at was 4 years old. I’ll be glad if I am able to help a rabbit.

I just saw an ad for a rabbit used for “training”. Training what?! I feel so bad for this little rabbit. They are charging $20 for him. If I did adopt him, would I be supporting the person? They did say they were “as close as wild rabbits as you could get”. Would I be able to eventually tame him?

@RabbitLover7891 , are you looking at a generic shelter or an actual "rabbit rescue"? I have found that they can be vastly different. The rabbit rescues are almost sure to have bonded pairs and all of their rabbits will be already fixed (saving you a bundle!). Generic shelters, on the other hand, are iffy depending on the shelter. Many do not fix rabbits and few bond them.

If you could let us know your state, we can see if there are rabbit rescues. Typically they will have many, many choices -- way more, usually, than a shelter. I think you would appreciate seeing the other options before making a final decision.

@RabbitLover7891 , are you looking at a generic shelter or an actual "rabbit rescue"? I have found that they can be vastly different. The rabbit rescues are almost sure to have bonded pairs and all of their rabbits will be already fixed (saving you a bundle!). Generic shelters, on the other hand, are iffy depending on the shelter. Many do not fix rabbits and few bond them.

If you could let us know your state, we can see if there are rabbit rescues. Typically they will have many, many choices -- way more, usually, than a shelter. I think you would appreciate seeing the other options before making a final decision.

Sorry for the late post. I’m located in the state of South Carolina. If you could find any rescues or shelters that would be great!

Latest posts

Back