Things you would like to see in the rescue section

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iwould say to improve it would be to discourage the purchasing of rabbits off ofcraigslist(including the meat rabbits), and from breeders(yes,I know, I am one), unless the animal is in a situation where they desperately need to find a home for it. Otherwise the owner is taking it to a shelter.A purchase is not a rescue. Breeding and show rabbits from places like thatdo not belong in rescues.I have to agree with misti on this. when you do that, you are doing nothing but lining their pockets, and placing animal in a shelter, or rescue that shouldn't be there in the first place. Some breeders do use craigslist as an outlet to sell their pet quality culls, but again, those animals do not need to be saved. Even if you don't agree with how they are kept, or cared for, because breeding standards are a lot different then house rabbits ones. I hate to say this, and sorry if it offends, but no good rabbit rescue goes out and buys them like that.

Focus on rabbits that have been rescued and rehabbedby the members(including us)of rabbits online, or those that are already waiting for homes in shelters.

dixonsrabbitry1 wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
 I will list a few cases... The bunnies came in needing a lot of work due to bad breeding (that we know of 5 confirmed. Our rescue had 3 another rescue had 2). They had severe malcusions that required the teeth be removed. While we get a discount it is not much when it comes to other care (the big discount is on the spays and neutering) for 1 bunny the vet bill by the end reached $876. Our rescue charges $70 for a single bunny. That means that with the adoption fee the bunny still cost the rescue $806.
Just because a rabbit has malclusion, doesn't always mean its from the breeding. If it was baby that had it, then there is a good chance that it was a breeding issue. Sometimes bad teeth will pop up in the best breeding lines, but it doesn't always mean poor breeding. However, people that produce rabbits like shouldn't be petting them out. With older rabbits, more then likely they were pulled on the wire by rabbit yanking on it when its feeding time, or getting bored. I have had a couple of them do that. Just wanted to point that out. :)

I know just in this case solid proof it was from breeding. ;)

JadeIcing wrote:
dixonsrabbitry1 wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
I will lista fewcases... The bunnies came in needing a lot of work due to bad breeding (that we know of 5 confirmed. Our rescue had 3 another rescue had 2). They had severe malcusions that required the teeth be removed. While we get a discount it is not much when it comes to other care (the big discount is on the spays and neutering) for 1 bunny the vet bill by the end reached $876. Our rescue charges $70 for a single bunny. That means that with the adoption fee the bunny still cost the rescue $806.
Just because a rabbit has malclusion, doesn't always mean its from the breeding. If it was baby that had it, then there is a good chance that it was a breeding issue. Sometimes bad teeth will pop up in the best breeding lines, but it doesn't always mean poor breeding. However, people that produce rabbits like shouldn't be petting them out. With older rabbits, more then likely they were pulled on the wire by rabbit yanking on it when its feeding time, or getting bored. I have had a couple of them do that. Just wanted to point that out. :)

I know just in this case solid proof it was from breeding. ;)

Ok, well, then they shouldn't have done that. Poor bunnies. :(

I adopted one of them. :D He is a nut ball.

Honestly I think the rescue section is great the way it is. :) Lots of bunnies have been helped. I would just like to see more detailed info when people post. Like location in title and just overall more details about the situation in their post. However, there is already a sticky asking for that.

This is just another random thought, but exhibitors are often traveling from state to state and show to show. So making this an all-inclusive forum could be beneficial to both sides. Breeders could post some of their more special rehomes (NOT sales) and rescues could possibly find easy transportation for rescue buns. :) That might be something that would help everyone out, since I know transport can be difficult!

I'm sure these are good suggestions, but a lot of these posts belong in the Rabbitry, not Rescue Me.

There may be options for rehoming and transport in that section down the road based on feedback and ability, but please post them there and leave this thread to the non-profit sector, thanks!

sas :thanks:

I thought these things were not permitted in the rabbitry section too? I think that's why many of us were posting in here since this thread asked for suggestions about the topic of rehoming. Sorry though- didn't mean to take over the Rescue section, but was just throwing ideas around for general condsideration. We can move the exhibitor end of this discussion to the other forum though, if that helps!

We did have a discussion going on about it in the rabbitry. Until someone posted their frustrations over it on another forum, and the mod decided read it and decided to shut it down for no reason at all, because she thought they were bashing the forum. There were some good suggestions there, and I want to be clear that not all of us posting in the thread were involved with that forum at the time it happened. If you want this section to be for non profits, then I suggest changing the name to something involving non profits, so the breeders here aren't getting confused and posting their for sales or rescued rabbits here. Maybe doing that will discourage people from going around and buying up the rabbits from craigslist, and breeders too. No reputable non profit that I know of does that. If they do, they are pretty shadey. And I still think we should be able to advertise in the rabbitry section. The original rabbits only allowed us to do it. So did the second forum. I don't see why it can't be done here.

Another thing is, if you have a rabbit you rescued, then it shouldn't matter whether you are a breeder, or running a rescue. Posting to find it a home should be allowed here without the op having to worry about getting blasted for it.

I really don't think that rabbit sales from exhibitors, or any other breeder, are appropriate in Rescue Me. I could understand rescued rabbits that anyone is working to find a home for but from what I understand is that Pipp (hi, Pipp) does not want suggestions from anyone other than a 501c. Is that correct? And no one other than a 501c should post here regardless of whether they rescue or not? They must have tax-exempt status per the definition of non-profit, correct?

I rescue but am not a 501c. I was not planning on using this forum for my rescues as I don't ever have a problem finding fabulous homes but just wanted clarification. Are all rescuers welcome here or is this just a forum for 501c organizations?

dixonsrabbitry1 wrote:
We did have a discussion going on about it in the rabbitry. Until someone posted their frustrations over it on another forum, and the mod decided read it and decided to shut it down for no reason at all, because she thought they were bashing the forum. There were some good suggestions there, and I want to be clear that not all of us posting in the thread were involved with that forum at the time it happened. If you want this section to be for non profits, then I suggest changing the name to something involving non profits, so the breeders here aren't getting confused and posting their for sales or rescued rabbits here. Maybe doing that will discourage people from going around and buying up the rabbits from craigslist, and breeders too. No reputable non profit that I know of does that. If they do, they are pretty shadey. And I still think we should be able to advertise in the rabbitry section. The original rabbits only allowed us to do it. So did the second forum. I don't see why it can't be done here.

I didn't see that before, Janelle, thanks for pointing it out. (It was referenced in the ModSquad but I missed it).

The thread turned into quite the quagmire I see. (And you didn't even start it, I'm quite surprised). :) But I'm sure there are some valid suggestions there amongst the rhetoric.

This thread is for non-breeders. I'll explain the differences in the other thread.

sas :bunnydance:

Violet Crumble wrote:
I could understand rescued rabbits that anyone is working to find a home for but from what I understand is that Pipp (hi, Pipp) does not want suggestions from anyone other than a 501c. Is that correct? And no one other than a 501c should post here regardless of whether they rescue or not? They must have tax-exempt status per the definition of non-profit, correct?

This thread started and ended in MARCH and it was in conjunction with the Task Force volunteers picking projects.

That's all it was.

It turned into a blown up policy discussion that rakes over the old breeder vs. rescue arguments that will never be won.

I'll address the specifics in the other thread.

We rarely lock threads, but this one was already dead before it started.

sas

TinysMom wrote:
THAT ALL LEADS TO MY RECOMMENDATION...

I'd like to see a letter on here that is stickied and answers many of the issues CL posters list for rehoming their rabbit. Some examples:

- not enough time
- not enough space
- not enough money
- mean rabbit

At the end of each short & sweet letter (unlike this post) - have a link to the forum where they can get more help.
I really like that idea. I would send letters if we had ones like that. I stink at writing my own so sometimes I just don't write anything. If we had prewritten letters like this I would send them. May be we could even make it a TF job. I would do it. Having the letters prewritten would make it so easy.

Pipp wrote:
Violet Crumble wrote:
I could understand rescued rabbits that anyone is working to find a home for but from what I understand is that Pipp (hi, Pipp) does not want suggestions from anyone other than a 501c. Is that correct? And no one other than a 501c should post here regardless of whether they rescue or not? They must have tax-exempt status per the definition of non-profit, correct?

This thread started and ended in MARCH and it was in conjunction with the Task Force volunteers picking projects.

That's all it was.

It turned into a blown up policy discussion that rakes over the old breeder vs. rescue arguments that will never be won.

I'll address the specifics in the other thread.

We rarely lock threads, but this one was already dead before it started.

sas
Alright. It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about. I assumed this thread was recent as it was at the top of the list.

So, I'm still wondering who is allowed to post here. Your pinned up post about guidelines on posting in this section says both rehomed rabbits (I assume rehomed by owners or second party rescuers) and rescues (I assume rabbits from both non-501c private rescuers and 501c tax exempt organizations) are allowed to post here.

However, some statements here caused me to wonder if that is correct. Do you allow private rescuers to post here or only 501c organizations? And do is rehoming now disallowed? Rehoming is not really rescuing.

Back