There's something wrong with Snowy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hugs hope she comes around and gets better real soon and real fast!!!!!!! Give her nose rubs from all of us and try to get some sleep, i know easier said than done

Just before I came up t bed I gave her another pile of wet lettuce, parsley and carrot tops, and guess what?

She started eating the carrot tops!!!!!! YAY

She ate a few stems then she was still eating as I came up, and I think she went for some hay too. I didn't want to go back in and disturb her and stop her eating...

I hope she keeps this up! Would be such a relief!

Posting this from bed but will udate when we next check n her!

I was offline this evening, but glad to see that you had taken her to the vet! Hopefully, she's well on her way to recovery.

Pam

mouse_chalk wrote:
It's just occurred to me is metacam the best thing if she should have some kind of bladder issue? But then again our vets don't really use anything other than metacam- there's not much else available over here....

Chase has gotten Metacam a lot from about 4 different vets for her bladder problems so I am pretty sure it is fine.

I am happy to hear she ate some of her greens.

I hope you get some better answers tomorrow. It is frustrating when you don't get an answer about what is really wrong.

That's great!...it's good to hear that Snowy if feeling much better now

Metacam is great, that's probably what's making her feel better by taking the pain away.

No problem with the bladder, just keep her hydrated and make sure she gets it with food.

So glad to hear she's doing well. :)

sas :bunnydance:

I'm sorry that Snowy is having a problem ; I agree that the metacam should be fine as long as she is hydrated.

Please let us know how she is tomorrow and I hope that you can still get a holiday.
Maureen:)

I would imagine that if she was in pain and even if it were gas..... she might not want to move... and laid there and peed on herself. Jumping around might have made it worse.

Sometimes I wish they could tell us: "Mama, I gots a tummy ache!"

I hope she's completely better and you can make your trip!

Aw man, how horrible. Hopefully the Metacam will help keep her feeling ok. I'm guessing you may have already gone to the vets/be at the vets?

Let us know how she is when you get back.

We just got back from the vets for her recheck...

I liked this vet a lot more. She gave Snowy sub-q fluids, zantac, her next shot of baytril, and pain meds. She was reluctant to give her metacam if she's on an empty stomach, so she gave her something else instead, which I think was vetagesic? I'll have to look it up now....

Anyway, Snowy was sat in her litter tray eating hay this mornign when Steve came down, and she picked at a bit of her breakfast, but not loads of it. So we still have eating and some toilet activities, but not loads. She's running up and down the living room though which is good.

She's a puzzle! It's SO unlike her to be even a tiny bit off her food. She refused oats that I offered to tempt her with....

It's a nice day so I think I might put her and Barney out in the garden so she can have a run about and hopefully eat lots of grass- I'm thinking that would help?

Oh, and one point that's fairly important- the vet this morning checked her back teeth and she can see that her molars are definitely starting to form spurs again. She said it will need doing sometime in the near future, but she doesn't think that right now they're bad enough to be causing this episode- given that she stopped eating so suddenly.... Either way, we're seeing our regular vets on Monday morning for a recheck and we can discuss getting it done then. I remember sas saying though that Pipp would stop eating and be a wimp about even the slightest spurs on her teeth, if I'm right? Sas, I'd love to hear what you think about this!

Going to set up the pen before it rains.....

Thank you all so much for your good thoughts for Snows! :)

Every rabbit has a different tolerance for what they can tolerate with their spurs, so it might be that Snowy can't tolerate much.

I'm glad you liked this vet more.

How is Snowy doing now? Is Barney ok with her and everything?

Flashy wrote:
Every rabbit has a different tolerance for what they can tolerate with their spurs, so it might be that Snowy can't tolerate much.

I'm glad you liked this vet more.

How is Snowy doing now? Is Barney ok with her and everything?

They're both in the garden pen now, and they seem fine. Barney is doing massive binkies left right and centre, and Snowy isn't binkying, but she is running about a lot.

She's been eating some grass!!!! :biggrin2: I'm really kicking myself for cutting it so short the other day now... :foreheadsmack:

I have her food out there too and she's been nibbling quite a bit on carrot tops. Mostly the leafier ends, and only a few stalks, so maybe that's due to her teeth? She's going for the softer leaves?

I've also noticed she has a bit of a wet nose as well, but she took a dive into her water bowl when I picked her up, so I'm not sure if it's that or discharge. A runny nose was her only symptom of spurs last time, so I guess that a lot of things are pointing (excuse the bad pun lol) towards it being her teeth again? That was back in July.

Has she been eating grass out there recently? Is she used to it? Its possible that wet grass can lead to bloat, so I'd be very cautious and not let her 'pig-out'.

Pipp stops eating veggies at the first sign of a molar spur. The vet didn't think that was her problem because he saw little evidence of spurs, but when they're trimmed, she bounces back.

I hope that's all it is. I'm not sure if she can still have a urine test while taking the antibiotics, but it's good to keep an eye out for a cause.

I honestly think Pipp either had a virus that affected her chewing allowing her molar spurs to grow, or the teeth caused her to chew her food poorly and caused digestive problems.

sas :bunnydance:

They're out there all the time in good weather, so while she's not been out as much recently, she's very used to eating grass. I guess it's a tiny bit damp but not wet because *knock on wood* we've had a few dry days recently and it's dried out a bit.....

Seems more likely than other things now to me, but I'll still keep an eye out for anything else. We are due to leave in about 5 hrs, so we have until then to decide if we're going to London or not! :?

Thanks sas :)

*hugs*

Snowy had about 2 hours in the garden with Barney and she loved it. She was running about, and she ate a lot of grass and some hay that I put out there. She seems really alert and bright. Since she's been back in she's eaten a bit of veg as well. Not sure what exactly, but it's gone down a bit and it wasn't Barney because he was asleep! She's been pooing some normal looking poos as well. Hooraay!

We're getting ready to leave for London. Please don't think we're awful for leaving her! :cry2 I think she's in a much better state than she was. If we thought she was really bad, we wouldn't go. Why does this always happen to us?! My mum will be in later to feed her, and then again first thing in the morning to feed them etc. She's also going to to and pick up some carrot tops from somewhere so that Snowy can have more, bless her. We'll be back between 9-10am in the morning, and mum is coming round at about 8am I think.

Fingers crossed she continues to improve and does the dinner dance for my mum this evening!

I'll try and post from my phone later when mum sends me an update, and I will probably post in the car on the way there as well lol...

Glad to hear she is feeling better! I have had the same thing happen with Biggie Max. When he gets gas he lays in one place and wont move, even if he has to pee. So I will find him with his belly pressed against the ground, tummy and bottom covered in urine. Its happened twice and both times he was fine after a few doses of metacam and simethicone.
You did the right thing though, better safe than sorry!

I got a text from my mum to say that she's eaten lots of carrot tops and some banana, and was munching hay when she left! Yay! Were stuck in traffic in central London but not far now. My mum is going back first thing in the morning...

Latest posts

Back