There's something wrong with Snowy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse_chalk

Reaction score
Ok, so I know it's early to be worried but we know Snowy and we know how she is, and she's not right.

She's not touched her dinner since it went down over an hour ago. Normally she is jumping, dancing around and generally trying to tear your arm off for food! Tonight she was asleep on the top shelf and didn't even move at all. We nudged her and she jumped down, but she'd peed up there which is very unlike her. Then she laid on the second shelf down for a bit and peed there too. Her underside was completely yellow when I picked her up :( We've just given her a little butt bath.

I've given her 1ml of simeticone, and some tummy rubs with a warm towel.

She's not running when I try to pick her up like she normally does, and she won't go near her food.... :cry2

We're heating up the snugglesafe and I have lots of stuff on standby to try.....

She's very lethargic looking, but not pressing her tummy to the floor or anything like that. She looks like she just wants to sleep..... :(

I'm trying not to panic or anything but we are concerned..... Please think of her guys!

:cry1:

The bladder control issue is cause for concern, coupled with the fact that she's not eating. A vet visit is most certainly in order.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
The bladder control issue is cause for concern, coupled with the fact that she's not eating. A vet visit is most certainly in order.

Pam

Thanks Pam. It's 10.30pm here. Would you say it's an emergency visit, or something that could wait until morning? I mean it is only an hour or so since her dinner went down, but that also means the last time she properly ate was this morning, about 14 hours ago.

If it's needed we'll go tonight, no questions....

I agree. This doesn't sound like a gas attack or anything reasonably simple for home treatment.

Do you have a rabbit-savvy ER vet available?

sas :(

Pipp wrote:
I agree. This doesn't sound like a gas attack or anything reasonably simple for home treatment.

Do you have a rabbit-savvy ER vet available?

sas :(
There's the hospital about 15 mins away, that has a vet 24hrs on call. It's kind of pot luck as to who is on call. We could by a stroke of luck get Clara our regular vet, or we could get a locum that either does or doesn't know about rabbits all that well :?

:cry1:

I think we'll be going. Literally the WHOLE of her stomach and everything was yellow.

She can hop about though- her movement in her legs etc is perfectly normal...

She's sort of lying down with her bum up in the air? The rest of her is stretched out, but she's holding her bum up.... :?

I have checked her over quite carefully and couldn't find any lumps, bumps, swelling, redness, nothing unusual around her genitals etc apart from the pee.....

I wasn't sure it was gas either but I knew it couldn't hurt and I was kinda hoping it was only a little blip and would clear up soon enough.... :expressionless

Lethargy and uncontrolled urination are always areas for concern (although if it's any comfort, I have had both happen with simple gas attacks).

When was she last pooping and peeing and did you notice anything unusual at that time? Any time spent longer than usual in her litter box?

Priority at this point is to keep her warm and calm and get her to a vet. If it's an infection or something, it really needs to be dealt with quickly.

Hopefully the vet will be rabbit-savvy. They can administer fluids, antibiotics, pain meds, take x-rays, test the urine...

Really hope she's okay.

sas:pray:

Did she seem to appreciate the tummy rubs?

PS: How old is Snowy again?

PPS: Is she just holding her bum up or lifting it up and down? I think that could just be a lower extremity pain response, be it gas, infection or whatever.

Poor bunny!

Poor Mrs. and Mr. Mouse_Chalk!

Pipp wrote:
Did she seem to appreciate the tummy rubs?
Yeah, she did actually. And she cuddled up to me afterwards for ages, which is VERY unusual for her. She looks so miserable bless her....

We're waiting 20 more minutes and if there is no change then we are going to the vets. They are 24 hours....

I just PRAY a decent rabbit-savvy vet is there...

Edit: Thanks sas :)

Taking her temperature may tell you something, it you've done it before. I've found that my gassy bunnies have a low temp, my infection bunnies have a high temp, although this must be weighed with the other symptoms. Something for the vet to check out regardless.

My tummy rubs would last at least 30 minutes, and the bunnies would feel better for awhile afterwords, I assumed until the gas bubbles reformed.

Has she had gas attacks before and if so, how did she react?

sas :clover:

Pipp wrote:
Taking her temperature may tell you something, it you've done it before. I've found that my gassy bunnies have a low temp, my infection bunnies have a high temp, although this must be weighed with the other symptoms. Something for the vet to check out regardless.

My tummy rubs would last at least 30 minutes, and the bunnies would feel better for awhile afterwords, I assumed until the gas bubbles reformed.

Has she had gas attacks before and if so, how did she react?

sas :clover:
She's never had gas before, although last August she had a sort of stasis episode- you might remember staying up with me giving advice. She spend the night in hospital, got some sub-q fluids and was completely fine the next day.

Other than that the only thing that's ever been wrong is that she had slight molar spurs last year which were filed. She had a checkup and a vaccination last monday (next one due in a week) and the vet said that they were starting to 'shelve' again but not actual spurs yet, and to keep an eye on it. It seems like this is way too quick to be that? She's normally got a huge appetite and loves her veggies and hay.....

I gave the tummy rubs for about 15 minutes I think. I didn't think to give them for that long.....

Thank you sas, you are a god send!

Edit: I've never taken a bunny's temp before- we only have a digital thermometer that we use for our colds etc lol....

I am also not sure when she last pooped, but definitely not for the past 4 hours- I have been in here all afternoon and she was sleeping on the shelf, and since she got sick I've not seen her poop at all....

Just spoke to the hospital. They say we can go down there now, the vet is on their way.

Does anyone think we're being too hasty taking her in? If it was just the eating then I wouldn't, but the peeing and everything else makes me really worry..... :?

The peeing really worries me. It could be that tummy pain is causing her to loose control of the bladder muscles, but usually that would have to be a pretty severe pain. My experiences with incontinence were with severely sick rabbits- Sprite had severe bloat/ileus and died that night, Dora had runny green diarrhea and had no control of her bowels either. She obviously survived but I was pretty sure she wouldn't.

If she were my bun, I'd be going to the vet too.

It's also possible she has a urinary tract problem, like a bladder/kidney infection or stones/sludge.

:pray:

If for no other reason, I'd go for some safe pain relief. Even if it's gas, she's in pain. You don't want to home treat that because the vet needs to determine the origins.

As long as you can afford it, you're insured or whatever, you have a vehicle and the time, I'd certainly head to the clinic.

Good luck.

sas :pray:

Jen when you are concerned it is never too hasty, rather be safe then sorry KWIM prayers for you and Snowy.

Eek I must of got offline and this happened. I think going to the vet is a good thing.

Boy I sure hope Snowy is Ok. It's a good thing you are taking her to the vets.

Prayers for her.:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:And Hugs for you.:hug::hug::hug::hug:

Susan:(

We just got back from the vet.

He took her temperature- it's a bit high, but he didn't say what it was.

He thinks she may have some kind of infection? Possibly bladder but not sure.... He was a bit of a 'not sure' kind of vet. We've not seen him before.

He gave her a shot of the dreaded baytril and some metacam. We're going to our local clinic at 9am in the morning for a recheck....

It's just occurred to me is metacam the best thing if she should have some kind of bladder issue? But then again our vets don't really use anything other than metacam- there's not much else available over here....

A good sign is she's run around the living room a bit since she got home, but she's still not touched a bit of her food.... :expressionless

Don't know what to do...... we will try and syringe her some water in a bit though. We also want to go to bed- Steve is going to set an alarm and get up in the night to check on her, when we go up.....

Poor Snowy...

I swear we are cursed though. We are meant to be going to London tomorrow to see our favourite band, Snow Patrol. Steve didn't fancy driving back late at night so he booked us into a cheap hotel for the night and my mum is feeding the bunnies. Why is it that as soon as we book a hotel or trip anywhere one of the bunnies gets sick???!!!!! :? Maybe Snowy decided she would be the only 'Snow' in our lives!

Thanks guys for all your good thoughts :)

We're just going to bed. Steve is getting up in about 2.5-3 hrs to check on her, which will be 4am for us. He may post here an update if he's awake enough....

She seems a lot brighter- she's been running round the living room and generally seems a lot more alert than she did, but she still wont eat a thing.

Thank you all.....

I may check this from my iPhone in bed if I can't sleep, so I can read any advice there!

Latest posts

Back