there's something wrong with little whiskers! (RESOLVED)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He seems to be doing ok. He has been pooping a bit more, and they seem to be more normal. He's peeing, too, but not quite as much as usual. He's still not drinking his water, but he is eating some hay and his pellets, and has been eating his leaf lettuce. I've given him a carrot (baby) or two, but haven't done too much of that. He's active again, and is still fighting any meds, etc. I'm just hoping that we're on the road to recovery, and not just staving off something worse.

he may not be drinking because of the sub q fluids, however you can spike his water bowl with some apple juice which is a good trick to get them to drink.

Did they do any blood work or x-rays? did they squeeze him and feel him, like his stomach and things? hope he fully recovers soon for you

I'll try the apple juice. They did x-rays and found a "hair ball" in his stomach. The vet did check his tummy, etc. really thoroughly, and explained all of the parts in the x-ray to us. He said all of the organs looked good, except for the stuff in the stomach. He does seem to be improving...right now, he's got his face stuff in his food dish! I just want him to be completely back to normal RIGHT NOW!!!! Not that I'm impatient or anything...:pullhair:

Rabbits are hard because they often DO take awhile to get out of these episodes ..
it is emotionally exhausting ,,

but if you've gone through it a lot with different rabbits you will learn that if you actively intervene in the process and presevere .. that Most of the ttime (not always) but most of the time the rabbit will come out of it.

A drop of vanilla flavoring in the water can also entice them to drink more. Glad he's eating lots of food. I'm sure someone mentioned this, but if you soak veggies in water for a while before you give them to the bunny, the veggies take up extra water. Sending healing thoughts~~

He's eating better and better each day, but is still not drinking. He has never been a big drinker, but I just wish he would drink a little bit. We've reduced the motility drug to twice per day, and are feeding veggies, which he seems to be enjoying. We didn't do sub-Q yesterday, because we wanted to see if he would start to drink from his bottle. I did add some vanilla, but that hasn't enticed him yet. Should we continue the sub-Q? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I am feeling a bit more optimistic about him today.

I wish I had some advice, but my mind's been so boggled lately (just one more reason I suspect the test will be +), that I can't even think straight enough to tell ya.

BUT...sending you and Whiskers loads of love and hugs (and more prayers)!!

:hug::hug::hug::hearts::hearts::hearts::pray::pray::pray::hearts:hearts:hearts

Good luck to you and Whiskers. He'll pull out of it. He's really lucky to have a human who cares so much!

What's sub-q fluids?

Sub-Q is basically putting IV fluids into the subcutaneous layer of skin...kind of just under the skin. It's given to help increase hydration and help "get things moving", so to speak! Thanks for your good wishes and prayers, everyone. Whiskers is getting better each day. The vet, who was very grave about the condition on Friday, was much more encouraging today when I called to give him the follow-up report. He's a really great guy...asked me to call and let him know how Whiskers was doing, not just if there was a problem. We feel so blessed to have a caring vet that we can see.

Just wanted to let you all know that Whiskers seems to be doing quite well. He's eating, drinking and pooping pretty normally. If a mod could mark this as resolved, that would be great. Thanks again for all of your prayers, thoughts, healing vibes, advice, and good wishes.

Latest posts

Back