there's something wrong with little whiskers! (RESOLVED)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkinandwhiskersmom

Reaction score
Hi...please keep our little Whiskers in prayer....he hasn't eaten or pooped in about 12 hours, and he's very uncomfortable....keeps flopping and pressing his belly to the floor...breathing fast, etc. I'm really scared! The vet had a cancellation, and I can take him in at 3 pm. Thanks!

Good thing you can get him into the vet. Has he had anything to drink? Sub-q fluids should help, and the vet will be able to tell if there's an obstruction or if it's gas. Good luck!

We just got back from the vet. Whiskers is in stasis. They gave him 100 ml of sub-Q fluids, a dose of a motility drug, and sent us home with metacam and critical care, along with the sub-Q fluids. I am so scared!!!! Whiskers is 5, and he is our first bunny. I'm also terrified of doing the fluids. We have another appt. tomorrow am with the vet to check on how things are going. Please send good thoughts, prayers, etc. Whiskers' way. Thanks.

I hope the vet treatment will help him out. I like that they gave him a lot of fluids. I'm sure you'll do fine giving them to him too--there's a video in our library if you need more help.

Here's hoping that anything stuck in his intestines is now fully hydrated and moving along...

We just had one poop! He's eaten a bit of hay, as well, and is much more active than before. We're going to give him the critical care after we have dinner. I just looked over, and he's still munching on his hay. I think that's a positive sign...at least I hope it is!

He's doing ok today. We took him back in to the vet so that I was sure that I could do the sub-Q stuff. He's much better than he was yesterday, but still not "right", if you know what I mean. I suppose that part of it is that he's tired of being handled, pushed, and prodded. He's pooping ok, but there's still not a lot. I know that he hasn't eaten that much, and that I shouldn't expect lots, but, that's what I want! Thanks for thinking of him, and for asking after him. Please keep sending those healing vibes and prayers.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear Whiskers is under the weather. I know what you are going through with a sick bunny. My Winston wasn't well last weekend, he has a blockage and then last night my poor little Vega had an upset tummy.

Isn't it something how we all get so excited to see poops
hase255.gif
. Did you have to give him sub-q fluiids. Boy I'm so glad we didn't have to do that for Winston, I honestly don't think we could have done it as he's so nervous. Even the Vet told us to take him home as he was just too nervous at the clinic.

I'm glad he's starting to feel better. I'll say a prayer for a quick and full recovery.

Susan
hase200.gif

I just wanted to say thanks for all of the prayers and good thoughts for little Whiskers. He's eating his pellets today, and is drinking a little bit more. He is a total bear when it's time for meds or fluids, so I'm hoping that we can quit the fluids soon. The poor little guy is getting a complex! It seems like every time someone goes near him right now, we're poking him or prodding him with something. To make matters even worse for him, we're being really, really careful about grooming right now, since he's in kind of a heavy molt. He's being a real trooper, though, and I think he's coming along pretty well. I'm just a really nervous bunny momma! I won't be satisfied until all is completely back to normal, and, even then, I'll be worried more about stasis from now on. Again, thanks to everyone for their good wishes and prayers. RO is the absolute best!

Oh my gosh! I totally missed this!! I'm so sorry!!

I'm so happy to hear that Whiskers is doing better, though...*sigh of relief*

I know what you mean about a bun being paranoid whenever you come around. Fiver has had times like that. After he hurt one of his toes, we had to start hiding the syringe under a towel whenever I went to take him out, because if he saw it, he'd start to PANIC and try to jump down out of my arms!

Here's praying for further poopy progress!! :pray:

:hug:

Thanks for the added prayers, Rosie. I'm not sure what to expect right now. He's doing ok, but still doesn't seem like his normal self. I'm not sure if it's that he's sick of being messed with, or that he's still not out of the woods. I'm still really worried about him. I keep thinking that I'll come in and find that he's gone. :nerves1

Back