There is something wrong with my bunnys eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiecrna

Reaction score
My bunnys eye looks like it has discharge or something and her hair has matted around it. Please help what do you guys think?

1d5bd39287cf0dd978fcd3bd555ffcde.jpg

d77dcd17e1f6688c605f9006aa51aaa1.jpg

4cc4eb559d8534c051fc33e1d61b47c8.jpg

She is not acting different. She is playing and eating and pooping. Should I take her to the vet tomorrow or the animal hospital now?

My rabbits had this same problem a couple years back...no need for a vet! There's a little tube of this medicine called "Terramycin" and it's available at most farm stores or even pharmacies. Just put a little bit in the corner of the eye daily.

Randomly using antibiotics is a horrible idea.
You have no idea why the eye is like that. It could be an infection in the eye, or surrounding tissue. A simple foreign body. A wound. A tooth issue. Respiratory problem. Or just about anything else.

Those photos are too dark and out of focus to really see anything. Have a visit with your rabbit savvy bet.

Yea it is a lion head. So I actually rinsed his eye and the surrounding area with saline and I got rid of some of the gunk that was hardened and matted around the fur. I have been doing this a little bit every day and it looks so much better. It's fully opened, and no longer red. There is still some hardened gunk at the eye duct I am working on loosening up with warm saline soaks. My guess is that it's a blocked tear duct. I'm going to continue to do what I'm doing and watch it, no vet for now.

Long haired bunnies have a tendancy to develop eye problems linked to hair getting inside their eyes. I know people who clip the strands of hair which are likely to go inside their rabbits' eyes to avoid irritations. Physiological saline is good. But if the canal is really blocked, you'll need a vet at some point to flush it. And probably an x-ray to check the teeth...

Latest posts

Back