the Prairie Clan pets blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my brother REALLY needs to learn the rules around here! I nearly had a heart attack when I went to the bathroom and walked when I walked out my brother had the back screen door propped wide open....Peepers was running loose..thank god she didnt see the open door! I ran over shut the door and gave him a lecture about how you cant DO that!

and I had my laugh this morning when reading the pet classifieds in the paper, there was an add for norweigen elkhound puppies...and the ad finished off with "NON ALLERGENIC" ROTFL, thats like saying a Siberian Husky doesnt shed lol

so, the main water line sprung a leak on Sunday..we have been without running water since then..still dont have any, the part they had to dig out in in my room, so there is a hole and a pig pile of dirt in my bedroom...of coarse Jenny is in my bedroom....so we had to get her outa there, I borrowed a big wire crate from work, and put her in the kitchen..she's in a really akward spot, what whatever, its just temperary. of coarse now Jenny and Peepers are both on the main floor, and they are not bonded, normally Jenny has the basment and Peepers has the main floor. so the workers have been here in the AM, so the girls have been locked up all day and out for about 2 hours in the evening, but they dont like eachother, so Im like setting up random blockades all over the house so each one gets half to run around. yesterday Peepers got the LR and DR, and Jenny got the Kitchen, tonight Jenny has the DR and Kitchen, and Peepers has the LR. Jenny keeps going upstairs though..its funny, because Jenny runs up, and the border collies herd her back down lol. then as I was fixing one block, Jenny just starts loping on into the LR where Peepers was loose, and it was funny because Jenny listens really well, so I was like "what do you think your doing?" and Jenny nonchalently turns around and lopes back into the DR as though turning around was her plan all along lol

old blog and under a new username lol but I didn't feel like starting a whole new blog to introduce everyone :p

so an update... Bunnies are the same, Jenny and Peepers, but peepers is 3 now, and Jenny is maybe 5ish? they are doing well, still as mischievous as ever lol

birds are the same, Toivo and Marley..still having egg lying issues with them, they just keep laying, over and over and over again, up to 5 clutches a year and they don't do a darn thing with the eggs, they just lay them and carry on like it never happened. Marley has has 3 hormone shots in attempt to stop the laying, but..she still lays lol

the dogs have changed

Misty passed away this passed august, very sad and unexpected, she was bouncing around perfectly fine, I took her to the vet because she had lost a bunch of weight suddenly, vet x-rayed said she swallowed a bobby pin, it needed removal right away, but prognosis was good, since she was bouncing around like she didn't have a pin piercing her darn intestines, so she goes for surgery the following morning, and when they open her up they find she actually has a tumour in her intestine and the vet asks if she has been trying to eat non food items lately?(umm ya..a bobby pin...) so they remove the tumour as well, she comes out of surgery doing fine, they keep her for the night as she still needed IV medications. following morning though she wasn't eating or drinking on her own, so they held onto her, by afternoon she was OK though, but they refused to let us take her home, said she had to stay 1 more night, well overnight NOBODY was at the clinic, and she spiked a fever as her graft failed over the night, and she died alone in a cage :cry4:

Ladybug passed away shortly after I last updated this thread, she was 15, and not doing well :(

Electra is 7 now and doing fine, her allergies have gotten worse, to the point that she is on meds now, but other then that, nothing new.

Happy is now 13, but doing well.

Rusty is 10 now, same as always, a big pain in the butt lol

I have 3 newbies however.

after Ladybug I adopted Gem from the local shelter, she is a Heeler/GSD, awesome dog, got her CGN at 10 months old, and she CRN-CL at 1 year(CARO Rally Novice-cum laude) and is currently working on her CRA(CARO Rally Advanced) plus training in agility. she is so much fun to work with! she is 2 years old now.

a few months after adopting Gem, I saw a dog pop up on the shelter website, the dog looked an awful lot like Gem, same mix, same birthday... after trying to find someone to adopt her, I ended up adopting her myself lol..it really was NOT planned, in fact the day we adopted her we had actually gone to sponsor her adoption to help her get adopted quicker lol thus I wound up with Gypsy.

most recently a few months after I lost Misty, a found out Paisley, a dog I knew as a puppy was surrendered to a rescue run by a friend of mine, this previously very friendly stable pup, was a ball of terror, she fell to the ground and pee'd herself if you looked at her wrong. my friend who runs the rescue, who also knew her as a pup, asked what on earth happened to this dog, she was told that "she was left with a friend for a few weeks and came back this this" uuuummmm ya, a dog that was as solid as she was, does not become THAT terrified of life in a couple of weeks! this confirmed when I ran into her old owner while I had her, and Paisley's reaction was to duck and run. we have been working on her fears though and she has come a long way in a short time, she no longer ever cowers and pee's, approaches 97% of strangers with ease and her fear of long objects(spoons, poles etc..) while still spook her initially, she bounces back within a few seconds and is OK. Paisley is a 1 year old Australian Shepherd.

the step lemmings passed away a while back, but a little over a year ago I got a Syrian Hamster, Creamsicle.

oh and snakes, Miami is doing great, and I got a new snake almost a year ago, an Albino Checkered Garter, her name is Moriba :p

oh, and as for the Gerbils...Prairie Clan is Famous!!! we made front page of the local paper, story was picked up by a few other papers, CBC National news came and did interviews for a segment yesterday(hasn't aired yet), CBC Radio tried to do a Radio interview this AM, but I was at work and my mom was asleep lol.

news story!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/quest-for-a-new-gerbil-takes-breeder-to-regina-1.2469726

newspaper story(it was front page!)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/quest-for-a-new-gerbil-takes-breeder-to-regina-1.2469726

CTV wanted to cover it too, but they were too slow, as Trina left for New York this afternoon, but they want to follow up in May when she comes back. we're being treated like celebrities lol, Trina was met at the airport and personally ushered through everything! we submitted the story to the local paper as a random little fluff piece, next thing we know, media from all over the darn country is banging down our door :shock: its just Gerbils, who knew? lol

Latest posts

Back