The Great Kitty Rescue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kipcha

Reaction score
Well, it starts out where we board our horses.

As you would expect in a barn, there are barn cats and I have one cat that I refer to as "my" kitty. The person we board with, however, hates her so I don't think she gets as much attention when I'm not around. She's not the prettiest thing to look at (Which is one of the reasons why she isn't the most liked) but she is super friendly and will just crawl all over you and weave between your feet and purr till the cows come home.

[align=center]
73885_1634077088287_1127468202_31721632_5237070_n.jpg
[/align]

I had noticed her getting round and it was soon obvious she was pregnant, so every day we went to see the horses I would start looking through the stalls for her and every time I came out dissapointed, finding her still round and without kittens.

So today, I came in and she came running over... Thinner then before and with some uncleaned blood near her rear end. Excited, I started looking for them while Mom went over to the lady we board with. She mentioned that she had noticed she had kittens and had looked for them, but I'm not quite convinced of it and I'm pretty sure she had given up, but she wasn't able to stick around while I looked since she was trailering her horses up for an event they were going to when we arrived. After all, cats out in the barn aren't like pet cats, and it isn't as big of a deal to lose them.

We went out and worked with Ben for around 2 hours before finishing up and heading in. We got Ben put away and I decided to keep trying. However, some time passed and I wasn't able to track them down.

So I kept looking and my cat was following me around, meowing and purring like usual and she led me over to the dumpster. At first, I wasn't quite convinced they were in there so I started rustling some stuff around and I heard them start meowing... And they were under layers of metal and garbage...

Oh boy, this was going to be fun.

I started crawling around the edge of the dumpster (I ended up slipping once and kinda sorta caught myself but still got the wind knocked out of me pretty good) and Mom got the help of one of the guys at the barn (We did regret it after, since he later openly expressed that he didn't care if they accidently crushed them or not, they were "just cats") and wealmostgave up for the night since we were making quite the mess when the guy who was helping us mentioned they were having thedumpster emptied in the next day or two and would notbother with the cats. So, the kittens and my kitty would most likely be crushed when it was emptied and no one would care.

Mom and Istarteddigging through the garbage and pulled some big sheets of metal outand when we finally cleared it out, there was my kitty and four healthy, pretty little kittens, eyes closed and meowing like mad.

At first we were concerned that Mama wasn't going to want to give them up (She picked up one in her mouth and tried to run off but we just picked her up) and they are now in a heated room in the barn in a large dog crate, safe and warm with a surprisingly relaxed Mama.

It took everything I had not to take them all home, but with the rabbits and other animals, I don't know what my kitty could be bringing in and I don't have anywhere to keep them, not to mention that they aren't my cats and I don't think our board lady would appreciate me taking them even though I don't think she cared if they died... But we don't need to start any unnecessary conflict with the people who care for my horse. So we're going to be keeping an eye on them while they are out in the barn and keeping track of what's going on with them.

[align=center]Happy Momma
224699_1946947229845_1127468202_32254511_9115_n.jpg
[/align]

[align=center]Kitten #1
227365_1946948109867_1127468202_32254515_4523933_n.jpg
[/align]

[align=center]Kitten #2
224623_1946948749883_1127468202_32254518_5090912_n.jpg
[/align]

[align=center]Kitten #3
221889_1946949509902_1127468202_32254521_3983654_n.jpg
[/align]

[align=center]Kitten #4
228565_1946949989914_1127468202_32254524_1898439_n.jpg
[/align]

[align=center]They're so cute! <3

I want one D;

(If only parents would allow me to have a cat again. Sucks even more because my favorite book series that I'm currently rereading is all about cats. I get to get reminded every day of the cats I used to have and how I can't have any right now! 8D)

Awww :) they all are lovely and a big applause for you, kitty saver :) Your story has brighten up my day. :) I like cats, but because of my allergy I've never had one.

Yeah! That's wonderful you were able to save them! Any chances of getting moma spayed to prevent this from happening again? I hope they all remain happy and healthy.

:party0002::pinkelepht::pinkbouce::weee::yahoo:

They are adorable! And I think your kitty/the mother is very pretty! I love the little flecks of orange in her coat :) Good job for saving them!

I have three cats of my own, which is making it harder to re-convince my mom about me getting a rabbit XD

Aw! They are adorable! She reminds me of my cat Mossy.. only hes all gray but the same fur. (I have 2cats and 5 kittens right now.) aww. I am a cat lover! Animals all around really. lol. Im so glad you were able to save her and her babys.. they are adorable. :) Looks like 2 girls in there for sure since the orange color in fur 3/4 of the time indicates that it will be female. Hope they dont pick such bad places to put kittens!!!

Well if she isn't the prettiest cat around then I would love to see what the other cats are like because she is so pretty! :) The babies are cuties, well done for saving them.

I adore torbies, and mama is an adorable one. Your a star to help them, so sad that they aren't cared for properly and the likely hood of all of those kittens surviving to their first birthday is slim. :( Is there any chance you'd be able to get the kittens placed in homes? Sounds like the the woman wouldn't really care if the kittens (and mama) were gone.

What that man said was REALLY horrible and completely uncalled for. It's fine if you don't like the cats, but keep your opinion to yourself if you're going to be like that. Just awful.

I really do wish I could take one. I absolutely love cats and would die to have a few more, but we've already reached the limit on how many dogs/cats we can have. :( I hate apartment living. If I had a house I'd pay you to ship them to me Air Mail.

Also, that mama cat is absolutely gorgeous! She's a Tortie version of my tuxedo cat to the T! I think long-haired cats are amazing-looking. I hope you can find a permanent solution for this precious little family.

Latest posts

Back