The Florida-Dutch Crossbreds Have Arrived!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akkatia

Reaction score
The babies are here!!! Clover had six of them, and they're Florida-Dutch crossbreds. They're extremely strangely marked. I was expecting a few to be pure white, some of them to have mixed Dutch markings and stuff, but this is strange!There are two all black ones, and the rest of them have broken Holland lop markings, with eye circles, spots on their noses, colored ears, and a broken-pattern texture on their back! It's bizzarre! They're big babies, too. There's a runt, though, and he's half the size of all the others.I know you're supposed to cull them, but I'm gonna let him live, and see if he makes it. I wonder what color the babys' eyes will be? Red? Brown?And how big do you think they'll get? They're adorable, and all appear healthy.:)

-=Kiya=-

Not to sound rude... but you purposefully bred crossbreeds? I hope you know there is very little to no market for mixed breed rabbits. Most people prefer purebreds.

They sound precious.

I dissagree,not all want a purebred rabbit,some just want a rabbit with a good heart and a sweet personality.

I said there is LITTLE market for crossbreeds and in some areas no one wants a mixed breed. I have 2 mixed breeds but they were accidents. The only reason I see for breeding is to improve the breed, I don't agree with purposefully crossbreeding rabbits unless you are trying to create a new breed and even then, you need to be fully commited to it with goals in mind.

Congrats! Can't wait to see photos! It's possible that the white rabbit actually carried the broken gene, giving you some broken marked babies. I haven't heard of a grade of Dutch markings that can produce the broken pattern (although not saying that it couldn't happen). They should all have brown eyes, although the Dutch gene is known to occasionally produce bright blue eyes or bi-colored eyes.

The body type of the Florida has the potential to really produce some nice Dutch.

We're also expecting some hybrid litters soon. (Dwarf Hotot x Mini Rex) Because the gene pool for Dwarf Hotots is so limited, it's not uncommon to cross other breeds in (Commonly Netherland Dwarfs). It'll be interesting to see thecolor patterns we get. The best color for me to use would have been a broken black Mini Rex, but my friend had a tiny solid black buck with awesome type, so we used him. Mini Rex have been crossed with many breeds to improve type, so I think this will really help the Dwarf Hotot type.

Pam

Pam, doesn't breeding Dwarfs to a Mini Rex change the coat of some of the resultant babies? Wouldn't that be a fault on the show table?

Mini Rex have actually been used to improve the density of the coats of many other breeds,and the hybrid coats generally show immense improvement. However, there is the problem of the recessive rex coats showing up in the Hotots down the line -- those would be DQ'd on the show table, but stock with good type could still be used for breeding.

Many of the Mini Satins currently being developed are getting their colors from Mini Rex :)

It's not uncommon to see satinized coats showing up in breeds such as Jersey Wooly and especially Harlequins because of Satins being in their ancestry.

Wool is an especially common problem cropping up in many breeds from New Zealands, to Beverens as well as the Lop breeds because Angoras were used in their development.

You'd probably be shocked to know that number of rabbits winning on the show table are not purebreds.The best of breed American rabbit at an ARBA convention one year was actually a purebredsolid blue Checkered Giant ;)

Pam

The body type of the Florida has the potential to really produce some nice Dutch.

So if I kept one of the kits and bred it with a Dutch, then kept one of those kits and bred it with a Dutch, and so forth, I could get some nice Dutch rabbits? (body type?) And if that is what you were saying, should I keep a buck or a doe? (what would you do?)

Oh, yes, we seem to get those bright blue eyes quite a bit. I heard you're not supposed to breed a rabbit with it. I've been calling it "moon eye" because that's what a book described it to be. I even had one baby before that had half a blue eye, half a brown eye, and the other eye was just brown.

Thank you!

That's weird, I knew some crosses happened but I was not aware of how often. I know there is a lot of AFL's and Hollands crossed and then you end up with fuzzy Hollands down the line. I also know of a breeder using Mini Lops with French Lop characteristics to bring mroe color into her herd like chocolate. I guess you just have to pick the right breeds to cross?

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
That's weird, I knew some crosses happened but I was not aware of how often. I know there is a lot of AFL's and Hollands crossed and then you end up with fuzzy Hollands down the line. I also know of a breeder using Mini Lops with French Lop characteristics to bring mroe color into her herd like chocolate. I guess you just have to pick the right breeds to cross?

Yes, you do have to set goals and determine exactly what traits you are looking to improve. Crossing to different breeds also helps to improve hybrid vigor.

You are right that the American Fuzzy Lops are where we seen many "impersonators". Many Holland Lop lines carry the wooled gene and these rabbits are often shown as AFL's. Many have wool that is too soft, but I have seen some with very good texture for being fuzzy Hollands.

Pam

Here's some pictures of them!!!!

100_1268.jpg

And another one...

100_1267.jpg

Aren't they cute??!:bunnydance:Although, I have some bad news. This morning I went to turn the barn fans on and I went ahead and checked the babies. The little runt was missing, so I look all over in the cage, and on the ground, and there the baby was on the hard dirt ground!! It was still alive, so I picked it up and tried to warm it up, and put it back in with the rest. I made up a milk replacemet and started nursing it. It's half the size of all the rest... I don't think it'll makeit, but pray for it anyway! I'm doing the best I can without upsetting the mother.

I have bad news... the little runt didn't make it. I went out to feed the rabbits today and found him. Poor little thing...

Aww..the poor little guy. Sorry to hear you lost him.

I love the pics though..they are soo little and precious. Hope the rest of them make it okay.

Good Luck to you and the little ones

-Haley

VERY cute little babies you have there. Sorry to hear about the little one, do you think he was a peanut? Do dutches carry the dwarfing gene? Heck, I forgot. I hope all goes well with them :)

I don't no if he was a peanut... I know he was like, half the size of all the others or smaller! I don't think he had a chance. I've never had a kit that small.

Latest posts

Back