The Duchess Of UP Diaries, Luna edition.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tell you some of them do not like us moving their stuff or stop them doing what is their right to do lol. Love the bunny butt in the paper bag haha, that's telling you. Went to turn my lamp on this evening, not working, went to get a new bulb, still not working, moved the portable aircon unit out of the way to get to the cable...only half the cable :confused: how the heck did they get behind there and which one of you was it :mad: Luna has that look on her face, I'd watch out :eek:

Tell me about it... regarding the lamp... I had a radio and portable razor charging in the bathroom. Went to unplug the cord... half the cord is there.. the rest is riddled with buny tooth marks. The cord was 5 feet off the ground, plugged into the wall socket on the same level as the medicine cabnet. It was Chica. I'm darned lucky she didn't electricute herself!

You need to watch out for Luna.. she is starting to act like a normal bunny!!!!:group2:

Vanessa

Oh boy. Lol. I am lucky, her area has no wires in it. I will deff. be bunny proofing the rest of the room before she is allowed in it. Stache was not a chewer or digger at all so this is to totally new territory for me.

Chica will chew if she can get her little paws on the electric cords as I found out. Chico will chew and eat all the yummy carpet in the bathroom if I don't watch him when it's time for him to run around. Ditto for Brooke and Lady. Both Brooke and Lady are chewers and diggers, Chica and Chico are not so it's a bit different for me as well!

But you know that's good! She's feeling more comfortable. Take it as a good sign!

You know, I put together a sand box for them when I first got them (Lady and Brooke) and they liked digging in it. You might want to try that with Luna.. Brooke would like to lay in it.. I only used $4.00 play sand and for that price you get 50 pounds.. We took some old orange and fruit boxes and put it together. Here are some pics to give you an idea. You might want to see if that is something that might satisfy Luna's digging. If she starts tossing the sand out, put a box around the
it that is higher to catch the dirt.

She might like it!

Vanessa

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

You know, I was tossing around the idea of a dig box for her. I think it might turn into a necessity. She digs so hard and rips up cardboard so violently that I actually worry about her hurting her teeth. Is this a valid worry, or am I just being a worry wart again?

Vanessa, I love looking at pics of your buns. They are too cute!

Ps. Are those ok to give to bunnies? They came with the two guinea pigs I am fostering. I am not sure about giving them to the pigs either.

1392697780031.jpg

Pesticide free apple twigs are a great bunny treat. Good for tooth wear too. My buns love them!

Ingesting cardboard would be more of a worry. You could try a box with an old phone book. Buns love to rip them up :) Just as long as she doesn't try and eat much of the paper.

Trust me, I don't think she is going to hurt her teeth. Brooke was chewing on the stockade fence the 19th of January before the snow storms hit here and she ain't toothless yet! It's just that Luna is very different from what you've experienced before, so it's taking some time. It's like no two dogs are alike, or cats, or guinea pigs! :)

And thanks for the compliment about those two nuts!! Lady looks very cute in that photo... devilish but cute! And I'm sure my first two buns are feeling left out! :(

The apple twigs or branches are good for both. It's good for wearing down teeth and keeps them busy! I have two apple trees so I've been lucky and just walk into the back yard and have been snapping branches down since I got the bunnies. Funny thing is Chico and Chica will NOT chew on apple wood or any wood at all.. other than the cabinet in the bathroom! ;)
Brooke and Lady will! So they have been going to town on the apple branches. The pic of Lady with the dig box has her with apple branches so that's fine.

Let me know what you think and I will see if there is an easy way for you to put one together that is sturdy enough for her. She looks like she's about as strong as Brooke and just about the same size, so it should be big enough for her to dig and if she feels like it to roll over and take a dirt bath like Brooke was doing!

Vanessa

Mine love apple twigs as well when I can get them. Dig boxes are great, I have one filled with shredded paper on the balcony and I've just put a cardboard box filled with hay in Houdini's cage. He loves digging, eating the hay and eating the box. The other two visit in free range time. Have never ha trouble with ingested cardboard.

1392752711016.jpg

1392752740537.jpg

You could use a plastic storage box as a dig box. My girls go crazy digging at and destroying carpet and the cardboard I put down to protect the carpet. Just be aware that some buns will use the dig box as a litter box so if you would make her a dig box with a cardboard box just check it now and then.

I have a very wide assortment of toys and nothing interests the girls more than digging.

I just now read your blog through and I must say Luna is very pretty.

Is she litter trained or have you tried litter training her?

Thanks PaGal, I think she is pretty too. I am always drawn to the animals that are considered special needs. I am trying to litter box train her, she is getting better but she still pees on her newspaper. I don't really care about her poos, they are easy to sweep up. I would love for her to consistently use her litter box to pee. She has 2 that I move when she moves her pee spot. She gets real mad at me when I clean her cage. It is a woke in progress. Lol.

Vanessa, please feel free to post pictures of all your fur babies, I LOVE pictures. :) as for a dig box, I think I am going to get a plastic container to use. She also likes to throw things. Shredding cardboard though is her fav past time. She wears herself out doing it!

Chris, she doesn't ingest the cardboard either, thank goodness. She just makes a huge mess. Lol. That is fine by me as long as it makes her happy.

Just another thought, I also give mine paper bags toied with string and filled with hay and little treats, mine love throwing the bag about, digging at it and eating it :)

Oooh, that is a great idea! She is so funny to watch, I love it. My favorite thing is watching her take all the cardboard she has shredded/dug out and make a little bed for herself to stretch out in. I think thst is very cute.

Do bunnies hold grudges? The reason I ask is because she still goes over to her blocked dig place and thumps and grunts. She still has other places to shred and dig in but I guess they aren't as good.

My girls dig like crazy too and it is much better to have a mess of cardboard pieces to clean up than torn up carpet.

I noticed the one pic of her cage there was hay everywhere. It helps when litter training to either hang a hay rack near the litter box so she has to be in it to eat the hay or to place hay in a corner of the litter box. Also soak up some urine with the corner of a paper towel and place this in the litter box. Then clean with vinegar/water mix.

Hopefully she'll get it soon. My girls took two weeks. before I took them in they were in a wire bottom cage outside. The cage was very small.

Do bunnies hold grudges? The reason I ask is because she still goes over to her blocked dig place and thumps and grunts. She still has other places to shred and dig in but I guess they aren't as good.

YES, some do. Lady got pissed off I took the newspaper out of the bottom of the litter box because she would dig to the bottom and start pulling the paper out and eating it. The next day I pulled all the paper out. She dug to China looking for that paper, turned around, looked at me, and hopped over to where I was sitting and BIT the living crap out of me. Obvioulsy, she was a bit upset I took her paper out that she loved to chew on.

Same thing with Lady. She was chewing on a small throw rug and I moved it.
She ran to where it was, found it missing and ran over to me and nipped me.

So yes, they hold grudges at times against you and against each other..

First day I got them, Lady attacked Brooke. Humping, punching her in the head with her front paws, bit her... she went Mike Tyson on her. A month later at the vet, Brooke sneaks up on her to BITE her! Obviously, she had not forgotten and since I had been keeping them apart, she had been biding her time to get her back!

Don't worry Luna will get over it.. some time.... in the future... maybe.. :):bouquet:

Vanessa

Last edited:
I think rabbits are like elephants, they never forget. Mine are always rearranging things if I change them and they will run over and nudge, grunt and thump if I try and interfere.

Well I am glad Luna isn't the only one who does stuff like that. I just looked at her and shook my head. Lol.

She does have hay all over her cage. I know I shouldn't do that but I don't know what else to do. I line her cage with newspaper too, but she chews and rips that up. I feel bad having her lay on the plastic. I also can't find a decent hay rack. I might just have to make one at this point.

Thanks! I'm going to have to send you photos of Lady too. She looks adorable. Luna is already relaxed like that, she flopped once and you've already had her what? A week maybe if that? It's a good sign that she did not charge immediately! See! Progress is coming along!

My goodness I started laughing at your line up! Your worse than me! I have my 4 plates for the bunnies and of course we got 4 treats and stuff for the 4 dogs! I'm sure everyone is happy as hell to see the food train coming! :) Brooke comes running the minute she see's the food!

OH, something funny happened this morning. I got Cassidy my Canadian Chihuahua out of bed (he sleeps on the bed with me at my feet) and carried him over Lady and she stood up on her legs and started marking him! She marked his paws and then started smelling his back. He made a small growl when she marked him but I thought it was cute! Lady marking a dog!!! Who would have thought!

So I'm putting up the photo of the dog she marked, Cassidy and pics of her flopped on the floor...

More pics please of Luna... it sounds like you are doing a great job with her.. at least today she did not charge at you and that is a good thing!:party0002:

Vanessa

The folds your bun's fur near the chin looks like she's got a 'Stitch' smile.

Luna is such a determined bun. I left the room for 5 mins during her exercise time and came back to find the offending tote blocking her dig area moved and her happily destructing away. Lol. She also decided that she wanted to introduce her to her guinea piggy friends.

1392998747094.jpg

1392998779316.jpg

1392998797242.jpg

1392998815177.jpg

1392998830259.jpg

1392998845974.jpg

1392998861141.jpg

1392998898815.jpg

1392998932746.jpg

She is doing much better with her cage aggression too. I can open her door without her charging and grunting. I still cant stick my hand in there, but that is ok....baby steps. When I clean her cage, I can leave her out and just block her with the door, she just lays down and chills now. She used to grunt and thump and basically make SUCH a scene that I had to put her in the carrier.

Back