The difference between

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the 'American' Yeild Sign:

R1-2.gif

Your ordinary crosswalk sign:

crosswalk.jpgC41CEEBC-7C06-4A1A-9E639E4BA8985EC8.jpgLarge.jpg

Crosswalk in a school zone:
S1-1eg.jpg

and sometimes they can be 'other colors' like yellow-green
S1-1.jpg

Now here were I live we only have crosswalks at stop lights. They arenotinforced to be used in the 'small town' by lawenforcement. If you need to go across the street just look bothwaysto see if the occasional car is coming. Ifnotwalk across the street and if so.. well oviously wait.

I love the roundabout with the fountain on! That wouldlook so amazing with pretty lights on etc. Its solovely!
Actually those are called water pumps in that photo. It was late and Icouldn't find a circle like ours if my life depended on it!

Again, I can't find a water fountain that looks anything like ours! Sohere's a photo that it looks smiliar too except ours doesn't have allthese fancy decorations! So imagine a simpler andbiggerfountainsitting in the middle of that circle.

Fountain_257FXL.jpg

cheryl13 wrote:
JimD wrote:
That's the basic idea....we think.
Because, once you've gotten into the circle, or roundabout, you have the right of way.

Oh...wait...which way do you go around? CW or CCW? And are we driving on the right or the left?

I'm checking out now...I can't think any more tonight. Gotta get up early, too.

'morrow!...for real this time...honest...

~J
we go around clock wise,and we are driving on the left,i think it isfunny how the americans drive on the wrong side lol it's justweird:)

cheryl
Well, that explains why they put the steering wheel on the wrong side of your vehicles.
You should be going CCW and driving on the right, that way you wouldn't have to give 'way anything to Lorry.

:D

I could be wrong on this one.....

What do you call the walkways that go under the street in the UK.
Kind of like an underground crosswalk.
I seem to remeber that they were called "subways".:?

And moving on.....

When I visited London there wasa term I thought was funny, but very appropriate:
"Way Out"...we call them "Exits".

I thought you UK people would have got theslappers thing seeing as I got it off Coro! It's another name for atart, slut, a 'loose woman' lol.

We have the Give Way signs here. I remember David mentioning Yeildsigns and wondering what they were and figured it out eventually.

We have motorways here instead of freeways (what do brits call these? I can't remember).

It seems there are a lot of apartment blocks in the states. We don'treally have that here, only a few for very rich business people closeto the city. Mostly we all live in houses with big yards that are hardto mow.

Oh and a 5 point turn is not the same as a U-turn is it? Not here it isn't anyway.

Ive never seen an underground path in England so I wouldnt know what we called them!

Ah yes! A slapper, I know now! A women wearing a mini skirt etc.. all tarted up.

We call them motorways here too.

And a U turn is the same as a 5 point turn here, its just like a turnin the road isnt it? They use to be called 3 point turns, butnow you can do them in 5 turns.

minilops wrote:
We have motorways here instead of freeways (what do britscall these? I can't remember).

Oh and a 5 point turn is not the same as a U-turn is it? Not here it isn't anyway.
minilops over here we say freeways,i have never ever heard anyone call them a motorway,it must be a bit different in NZ:)

and a five point turn would be like trying to turn your car around in anarrow road,where as a u turn is like when there is an opening in theroad where you can quickly turn around to go the other way:)

ahhhh so that is what a slapper is lol

cheryl

and a five point turn would be like trying to turn your car around in anarrow road,where as a u turn is like when there is an opening in theroad where you can quickly turn around to go the other way:)

cheryl

Agh I see. I think I got them a bit muddled up!

Yes U turns and 3/5 point turns are not the same.

I Slapper use to be called a Flapper in the old n days!

We call the freeway/motorway the highway.

There are a lot of apartment buildings are multiple levels in thecities. Around here the apartment buildings are a one levelbuilding that resembles a motel however the apartments have more thenjust one room. Each apartment building/complex has maybe 5apartments. Majority of the 'apartments' are above localbusinesses. However, apartments aren't too common where I live and offthe top of my head I can only list about 4 apartment buildings and 1 isan assisted living on the grounds of a nursing home. For the most partpeople rent houses with yards either in 'town' or in thecountry. There are a lot of farm houses around here andsometimes those are rented out. But for the most part those farms stayin the family and never really go up for sale. Darn! LOL!

I don't even know what a 5 point turn is according to the USA ways.:?If we do have some they are in the cities and surely aren'tin the country lifestyle.

Dwarf_Angel04 wrote:
We call the freeway/motorway the highway.

There're definately not "freeways" in New Jersey......'cuz you have to pay tolls to use a lot of them.
We also call them routes, expressways, parkways, and turnpikes.

Dwarf_Angel04 wrote:
I don't even know what a 5 point turn is according to the USA ways.:?If we do have some they are in the cities and surely aren'tin the country lifestyle.
It's the same thing as our 3 point turn....except they're allowed to do it in 5.

5 point turns are a pain in the butt: http://www.2pass.co.uk/turnintheroad5.htm
I've been learning to drive in a manual (or stick shift ;)) with nopower steering and it makes it hard. No roads here are narrow enough toneed to do them but we have to know how to do them right for thelicence.

I am sure that on Top Gear they have another name for a motorway?

What you described as apartments we call flats in NZ Dwarf_Angel04. Ourapartments here are huge multi leveled buildings that look like hotelsusually.

We have highways here too but a highway is a very long road that leadsusually from one town or city to the next and they can be hours long.They are usually called 'state highway 1' or some such name even thoughwe don't have states here. They are usually one lane on either side butwith passing lanes every so many kilometres and the speed limit is thesame as motorway when in the country areas, 100km/h.

I would call that an underpass. A subway has trains going through it.

KatyG wrote:
I would call that an underpass. A subway has trains going through it.
Underpass is probably what I was thinking.

Here, an underpass is where one road goes under another. The one on top is called an overpass, the bottom one is the underpass.

JimD wrote:
There're definately not "freeways" in New Jersey......'cuzyou have to pay tolls to use a lot of them.
We also call them routes, expressways, parkways, and turnpikes.
It's the same thing as our 3 point turn....except they're allowed to do it in 5.
Okay maybe it's just the slang we have in my area LOL! People aroundhere call the 'highway' anything that has two lanes going the samedirection with a grass break and two lanes going the other way. Ourstate route has a 'highway' so people call it. Really we have all stateroutes and county roads except Interstate 70 and 75 which go fromMichigan to Flordia and Utah to Maryland. We do have a turnpike but I'mnot familar with the 'big' roads as anywhere you wanna go you can takethe nice county and state routes. :D

I never knew there was such a name for that manuver! Around here if youneed to make a u-turn you just pull into someones drive way and backonto the road.
So I guess in a way that would be a 3 point turn.:ponder:This just goes to prove that even in the same countryslangs and word usage are totaly different! We don't have narrow roadsand majority if the roads around here end up meeting up to each otherif you drive long enough. Our roads are straight and from and airplanemy area looks like a perfect quilt. :D

Latest posts

Back