The difference between

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Y turn?! What about an A turn? Or a B turn? Ora C turn.....

That is really weird!

Over here in study terms, we have (please note the ages are roughly! I really have no idea on the presice ageing)

Playgroup or Reception - 3-4/5 years

Lower school - 5 - 12

Middle School - 12/13 - 15

And High school - 15-17 years

And then theres College which you can go to any age, after High school

And then Uni....

But I have heard on films etc about kindergarten or something... What schools do you have in the US?

P.S I tryed the tal glass of coke with a scoop of ice cream on top and it was soooo nice!! I felt sick afterwards though!

Ages vary depending where in the USA you are assome schools have junior highs compared to middle schools. I'm notexactly sure the ages of junior high though.

Preschool-- 3 to 5

Elementary- 6- 11 (Kindergarten thruough 5th grade)

Middle School- 12 to 14 (6th to 8thgrade)

High School- 15-18 or 19 (9th to 12th grade)

College is just college. You've got community colleges which haveassociate degrees(2 yrs) and then universities have 4 year programs.

It really depends on when the child's birthday is and kids around myarea seem to start later for some reason. When I was in Alaska Istarted kindergarten when I was 5 but here it's different. I ended upgraduating high school when I was 17 (shhh...don't tell anyone but mybirthday was the day after graduation) while the rest of my class were18 to 20. :?

I believe for the school where I went tokindergarten, you had to be 5 by september 1st, though now it has beenmoved to something like November 1st. I'm still relativelyyoung for my class, my birthday is in June.

In New Zealand it goes:

Kindergarten: 3-5
Primary school 5-10
Intermdiate school 11-12
High school 13-16 (but you can stay till your around 18/19 if you choose)

Most people either start working or go to a polytech or uni by the time they are 17.

It would be really nice to technically be donewith high school already. I believe you can legally drop outat 16 here, if you take the test, and your parents have to letyou. Of course, there are few jobs that don't require ahigh-school diploma, so it certainly isn't recommended.

Linz_1987- Do you guys have choco milkmixes in the UK? My cousin came over to visit for 2 weeksyears ago from Belfastand almost beggared me! Hewas drinking 4 liters of milk a day with Brown Cow mixedin!:DCouldn't get enuff!

Has anyone ever noticed that the longer you spend with someone with aheavy accent the more you sound like them? By the time myhubby and I came back from Ireland after spending a weekwithmycousinwe were talking a mile a minute and no onein our families could understand us! LOL BTW-hubbyabsolutely hates Irish Whiskey now! Everytime we went tovisit someone he got handed a whiskey!:D;)Whether he wanted it or not!:D

Yes we do.. the powder stuff? We have LOADS ilive on the stuff! The main one is probably Nesquik (which is also acereal with a bunny mascot.. and it looks like rabbit poo too!) butthey make the mixes in like Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry.

I've got a kinda rude one (although it is a completley natural part ofeducation that all people should know! I think i'm one of the young oneson the forum anyway!)

Rude Alert

My Mums ex-boyfriend lived in Idaho and i rememberi was busy drawing a picture of something and i made a mistake, so iasked him for a rubber. I was about 9 at the time and go asked "What doyou want one of them for? :shock:" For rubbing stuff out..der!

Pinksalamander- The kind I mean isactually a syrup. You can put it on icecream, in milk, etc...veryyummy! I've had the powdered stuff! Compared to thesyrupthe powder is Yucky!:D

Yes we have them too! They're called Crusha.They're actually much nicer, i might ask my Mum to buy some! They dobetter flavours like Raspberyy and stuff. I've never thought of puttingthem on ice cream but that sounds good!

Someone mail me over some poptarts.. i lived on them when i was in Idaho!

Runestonez wrote:
Pinksalamander- The kind I mean is actually a syrup.You can put it on icecream, in milk, etc...very yummy! I'vehad the powdered stuff! Compared to the syrupthepowder is Yucky!:D
Hersey makes a chocolate syrup and I think Nestle does, too.
Boscoe is also a popular brand.

One not so popular is Fox's U Bet chocolate syrup. We use this to make "egg creams"...yummmmmmm!

We went to the supermarket and i made my Mum buyme some Crusha. Its not exactly syrup its kinda liquid that you mixwith your milk. Yum!

Pinksalamander, you reminded me of another funny difference in vocab in one of your other posts:

In the US, we typically refer to it as "petting" our animals, whereasin England, I heard a lot of people refer to is as "stroking".

I thought this was funny bc in the US "stroking" has a bit more of asexual connotation, and apparently, in the UK "petting" does :)

I have never seen any syrup chocolate stuffbefore? We have a chocolate milk shake called yazoo which isyum! But the powdered stuff is gross, its better to buy italready made!

Also Petting is a bit sexual over here! I always 'stroke' my animals! hehe that must sound funny to you guys then!

Also im going to a party on Saturday evening, and I would call it a'booze up'... But I also call it having a drink lol. what doyou call itwhen you go to a party and intend to get drunk?

Also I just saw myloki say something in another thread about 'learning books'. Over here we call them 'text books'.

Lol! Over here petting is a bit rude too, asin heavy petting (feeling someone up, um, like on top of their clothesbut in naughty places). When I am giving my pets attention I say I ampatting them.

We had the rubber thing here too, I've alwas known erasers to be calledrubbers but I had a girl from the states in my class when i was about10 who was horrified at being asked if she needed to borrow a rubber.

Haley wrote:
Pinksalamander, you remindedme of another funny difference in vocab in one of your other posts:

In the US, we typically refer to it as "petting" our animals, whereasin England, I heard a lot of people refer to is as "stroking".

I thought this was funny bc in the US "stroking" has a bit more of asexual connotation, and apparently, in the UK "petting" does :)

Exactly, LOL, i didn't know what a "rubber" was in the US until a few years ago either so i never understood it!

Apparently in Australia your main sticky tape maker is called Durex?Well, in the UK Durex is the main brand of well.. "rubbers".

Yazoo is Yum! Linz you must have the Crusha stuff? Like the liquid you add to milk? Not syrup though.

We also call what Linz called a "booze up" a "p*ss up". In the US whenyou say you're p*ssed it means angry right? Over here it means drunk.."im really p*ssed!":toastingbuns

yup, "Im so p1ssed" means you're angry.."or Im so p1ssed off".

If I remember right, in the UK even though "p1ssed" means drunk, doesnt "p1ssed off" mean angry?

Haley wrote:

If I remember right, in the UK even though "p1ssed" means drunk, doesnt "p1ssed off" mean angry?
I'm in Canada - and we use p1ssed to mean drunk... and angry... depends on the context.

_________
Nadia

Haley wrote:

Exacttly, you're either "p*ssed out of your mind" (drunk) or "really p*ssed off with him!" (angry)

Latest posts

Back