The Bunhalla Buns 2009

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonrain

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've kept a blog on here. I usually just lurk, but seeing the adorable pictures of everyone's bunnies made me want to show mine off too! :)

I started out the year with just Barnaby - he's a 2 year old 2.5lb neutered tort lionhead.
l_72587517c491e06dd03dc73a3f2926ad.jpg

He wasn't a single bun for long though, because on Jan. 18th I took in two adoorable holland lops that I saw posted on the rescue section here.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=41054&forum_id=67

I couldn't take them in right away because my boyfriend and I where in the middle of finding a new apartment and I had to finish up my college degree. But their owner and I stayed in touch for awhile and she brought them over for me on Jan. 18th. They are adoooorable little bunnies! They came with the names Toki and Amelie, but we now call them Ziggy (broken blue neutered male) and BerryMelon (broken black spayed female). I always feel kind of bad about renaming pets that come with names already but my boyfriend couldn't pronounce Amelie right and we decide to give them new names to go with their new home.

Here's Ziggy playing with a willow ball - he loooves his toys!
l_f731117ec39e41c08e645620bab339ac.jpg

And here's the beautiful Berry - she's the only girl bunny I've ever had.
l_2742bb80274440368f35e6ad45781b24.jpg

After about 3 months of working with them, I finally got them to all bond! So I'm the very proud owner of my first bunny trio. At first, the two boys didn't get along so well, but you would never know that now. At this very moment they are both laying down snuggled up against each other.

The three bunners live in their own room in our apartment. The room is a work in progress, as I'm always trying to think of ways to make it nicer for them, but they all seem to enjoy it. They show me that every morning by running their bunny 500's and binkying around the room. I could never get tired of watching them play, even if their favorite time to go binky crazy is at 6 am!

Hmm I do have other pets as well, although I think bunnies will always be my favorite. I'm a biologist (wildlife/environmental management major) so I come across my share of animals in need, and I usually have a pretty hard time resisting taking them in. Other than the three rabbits my boyfriend and I also have two african clawed frogs, two fish, and a leopard gecko, all of which where rescues of sorts. Theen my boyfriend decided to suprise me with a puppy on my birthday this year - so now we also have a 5 month old papillon puppy.

Oh if you're wondering about the name of my blog - My boyfriend and I both really like mythology (can you tell, our first rabbit was named Zeus). We jokingly started calling the bunny room Bunhalla (ya know, like Valhalla from Norse mythology, only for bunnies) and it stuck.

So that's enough to make you all read for now! I'm sure I'll have plenty of pictures to update with when I can :)

Oh, I just found this picture and haad to share!

Ziggy is the king of dead bunny flops! I swear he nearly gives me heart attacks when he does it too, it's so convincing. I know his tricks now, but still I go into the room and poke him or check to make sure he's breathing. He'll just wake up and look at me disapprovingly for waking him up lol.

DSCN0807.jpg

Oh my gosh all of your Babies are so cute. Is Ziggy a French Lop?

i'm looking forward to lots more pictures of all of them.

Susan :)

Thanks!

Ziggy and Berry are both holland lops as far as I know :)

I need to get more pictures of the three of them together. Not an easy task - since it always seems like somebunny runs off right as I take the picture. :ph34r2

barnaby is gorgeous, I swear he looks like a toy! and ziggy and berry are very cute too. it's awesome that the 3 of them all get along now. especially with two males, I imagine that is fairly rare. do the 3 of them sleep in the same cage at night?

I would love to see more pics of the bunnies and of your puppy too :)

Thanks!

Yeah I think it's strange, but I've had really good luck bonding males. Before I got the lops, I had a male netherland dwarf named Zeus (he was my first bunny and unfortuantly passed away last Aug :cry2). Zeus and Barnaby were bonded and Barnaby got really depressed when Zeus passed. Theen I got Ziggy and Berry as a bonded pair and wanted to try to attempt to bond them with Barnaby. At first the two boys had some issues but now they get along really well.

They don't sleep in a cage - they have their own bunny proofed room that they have free range of. They do all sleep next to each other though. I have a cage for them, but it's too small for 3 rabbits so I never close them in it. I'm planning on getting them the 48in. 3 story leith petwerks condo probably next week. I'm still going to leave the door to the cage open though, so they'll still have their room to run around.

I'm soooooooooo happy they all bonded. I like the idea of having 3 of them, so if something ever happens to one (god forbid!) I won't be left with 1 lonely depressed bunny like I was when Zeus died. It's so fun watching them all binky and play together :)

I'll definatly post more pics of the bunnies and my other pets! Maybe later tonight...my boyfriend has the day off today so we're getting ready to have our memorial day cook out. :)

Ahh so I know this is usually just rabbits? But I thought I'd introduce my other pets too :)

Pez and Starburst are 2 year old african clawed frog sisters. I use to work as a lab assistant for my college and took care of all the animals. They had a pair of really old african clawed frogs there and when they laid eggs I was told to throw them out. Intead I put them in a water bottle and took them home with me. The only survivors 2 years later are these too. They lived with my brother for awhile but he didn't want them anymore so I took them back - I couldn't see them go to a pet store after I had raised them from eggs.
This is them hanging out in our measureing cup when my brother first brought them over and I had to go out and buy a new tank for them. ;)
frogs.jpg

This is a bad picture of Ike, a 2 year old comet goldfish that my brother also didn't want and brought over with the frogs.
n1280709816_432270_7569515.jpg

This is Haku, a 10 month old snow blizzard leopard gecko that I got from someone I went to college with...sort of. When he didn't want his geckos anymore he 'set them free' in the college dorms. The cleaning ladys caught them and gave them to the bio department, then they gave him to me.
n1280709816_337916_5348428.jpg

This is Courage, a 8 month old betta fish. I had another betta named Keit that my dad was watching for me when I went away to visit my bf last summer. Well Keit died like a month after Zeus died, and my dad didn't want to tell me about it. So instead, he went out and got me another betta fish. The funny thing is that Courage looks nothing like Keit did. :p
n1280709816_432273_3786549.jpg

And lastly, our newest addition is Kitsune, a 5 month old papillon puppy. I have wanted a papillon since I was like 8, so when we moved Chris found a breeder and got Kit for me for my birthday (not spur of the moment - I don't think its good to give animals as gifts but we had already planned to get a pup). Kit is mismarked (the white on his ear), is already big for a papillon at 5 months, and one of his ears hasen't gone up yet, so the breeder sold him as a pet since he wouldn't qualify to be shown. He's a lot of fun and luckily so far is great with the bunnies (although they don't have to deal with him much since they have their own room!)
3310_1138670988552_1280709816_37491.jpg

paard.jpg

So those, plus the 3 bunnies, are all my babies :) I hope no one minds that I posted about my other pets here - I just love showing them all off.

Going back to bunnies...

Berry has ear control! :D

I think it's the cutest thing. When she's sleeping or just lazing around they are usually both flopped, but when she's out and about she'll stick them out to the side of her head, or hold one up.

DSCN0174.jpg

berrry.jpg

I really need to get some better pictures of her though, those ones really don't do her much justice.

LOL Wow! Your house is filled with such lovely animals! I love the look on your puupy's face. Such a sweet face. The bun pics are adorable. That's so amazing that you got 3 buns to bond together.
I just started trying to bond my two boys, Kirby and Toby. Not having much progress so far but we're just starting off. I'm glad to see that you've had luck with boy bonding, it gives me some hope!

Haha yeah...Berry is a "she"! :biggrin2: In my like 18 years of owning rabbits Berry is my first girl bunny!

We do have a house full here - but I love it.

Bonding 3 bunnies wasn't as easy as bonding 2 - actually I was pretty spoiled when I bonded Zeus and Barnaby because for those two it was pretty much love at first sight. With the trio I think it took me like 3 months before I felt really comfortable letting them be together all the time. There was some fur pulling for awhile at first, but I just kept at it with the bonding sessions and now the three of them are very happy together :)

Q: How many bunnies can fit in a litter box??

A: Well...how many bunnies do you have??

Haha...I was cleaning the bunny room a little while ago. I bribed the three of them to hang out in the cage for a few mintues while I vaccummed, since Ziggy and Barnaby have developed a habit of attacking the vaccuum (How dare that big red machine come into their territory and suck up their poops that they spent all night placing all over the floor!?!?!?).

So I was in the middle of cleaning, and I look over at them and this is what I see...

DSCN1020-Copy.jpg

DSCN1022-Copy.jpg

DSCN1023-Copy.jpg

DSCN1024-Copy.jpg

I just had to drop what I was doing and go get my camra. Luckily they were still all in there when I got back so I was able to get some pictures!

Later tonight I'm going to have to take some before pictures of the bunny room, because next week sometime their new leith petwerks cage will be here!

I thought these pictures were cute too but I wish they had came out better, aka clearer and not with red eye. Ooh well.

Here's the bunners lounging in a bunny pile in their room.

DSCN1037.jpg

DSCN1039.jpg

Thank you! :D

I did not have happy bunnies last night. I couldn't sleep so instead I decided it was about time for them to get their nails cut as well as a general health check up. I like to look them over at least once a month really closly to make sure they don't have anything going on that I missed. Ya know, cut their nails, check teeth, weight, check for any lumps or bumps and whatnot.

They're all doing great. Barnaby is the easiest to handle so he wasn't tourtured for long. Berry is pretty good too. Ziggy, on the other hand, haates being held. I feel so bad doing it but it really is for his own good.

And hopefully the will forgive me when they see the new cage I JUST ordered for them! I'm really excited - I finally ordered them the leith petwerks condo that I've been planning on getting them for months now. I wanted to wait untill I found out if they where going to bond before I ordered it.

Later on, after I clean again, I'm going to take before pictures of their set up. Then I can do a before after type thing when their new awesome cage gets here!

New cage is schduled to get here on Monday. It's too bad that the darn thing weighs over 100lbs, because I don't think I'm going to be able to carry it up the stairs to our apartment by myself. I tried to get Chris (My boyfriend) to take the day off just to carry it up for me right when it gets here, but he just took time off last week so he said no. I guess the bunnies can wait till Monday night, since they've waiting this long already.

So last night after cleaning the bunny room I got some pictures. Really not much will change other than the small cage will be replaced with the new one, and I'm not sure where in the room I'll put the new cage yet. So yeah, no huge changes, but I'm excited to get the new cage after wanting it for all this time.

Here's looking into the bunny room from the living room.
DSCN1041.jpg

This is a close up of the painting on the wall. Chris got it for me last Christmas.
DSCN1043.jpg

Here's the window with a bunch of cute window clings. You can't usually see them though since I've been keeping the window open. The bunnies are getting their own AC in a week or two. Don't mind the gross looking shade, that's the one that was there when we moved in and I still never replaced it.
DSCN1044.jpg

These two boxes are full of hay, with some of my junk on top. Then you can see Ziggy in the corner, in front of their makeshift box fort.
DSCN1046.jpg

The main area of the room - the rug is sessel and you can see Ziggy and Berry hanging out near their stuff.
DSCN1047.jpg

This is the cage I have now. I know it's way to small for 3 bunnies - they are never closed in it except for the 10ish mins a day it takes me to vaccuum the room. The bunnies where trying to chew on the closet doors so I had to block them off.
DSCN1050.jpg

The other end of the closet that is full of bunny supplies. Luckily so far they bunnies have left this end of the closet alone so I haven't needed to block it off.
DSCN1051.jpg

Another container of hay. I fill this with hay from the boxes then put it near the cage so I don't get hay all over the floor carrying it to their litter boxes.
DSCN1056.jpg

In case you where wondering why Barnaby wasn't in any of the pictures - he was hiding behind the cage the whole time. I don't think he forgives me for cutting his nails yet. But there's one sure way to get a glimps of him...put out food!
DSCN1063.jpg

And lastely here is the view looking out from inside the bunny room. Kit likes to stand at the gate and supervise everyone.
DSCN1052.jpg

That's it for now. I'll definatly take pictures of the new cage when we get it! :biggrin2:

Gosh your Bunnies are so cute. You are so lucky to have the 3 bonded.

I could only wish for that myself. I'm to chicken to try to bond Daisy Mae with one of my 2 pairs.

I look forward to seeing more pictures of your beauties.

Susan :)

Latest posts

Back