Texan Tales (& Tails) - by TinysMom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wabbitdad12 wrote:
Great posts Peg, I have no doubt you flemish lines and your name will be widely known.
I'm sure that will happen - I'm just hoping my name will be widely known for GOOD things!

Young rabbits can be soooo cute - and soooo DUMB! Stupid even...

Last night one of Nyx's litter had sort of a runny nose - clear and runny - but it looked a bit swollen. I figured since it had been playing in an area that is dusty - perhaps something had gone up its nose - and gave it a bit of antihistimine with plans to check it today.

So today the "itty bitties" (ha ha - they're the same size as Angel) are running around and I notice the bunny with the swollen nose. There was a bit of white flakes on top of the nose so I go to wipe them off - only to realize....IT HAS AN ABSCESS THAT IS TRYING TO DRAIN!

ARG!

So I take about 15 minutes to do a 30 second drain on the abscess because she won't sit still and let me work with her. As I'm working, I'm thinking to myself "how did she get an abscess here...would she have scratched her nose or something?" - but her claws look fine as do her littermates.

It really has me puzzled and I let her go and decide to treat her tonight with Pen G since I've messed with her so much already...when I see her go up to a rabbit's cage (one of the older "Kids") and stick her nose in the cage. Sure enough - the other rabbit tries to bite at her nose. She backs away and then starts doing it again.

I pick her up and move her and tell her "No" in a stern voice - and she runs off to another cage...to do it again to someone else.

DUMB RABBIT.

Cindy - I hope you do get into showing - and if you enjoy it - breeding too. I think a person can successfully breed (and enjoy breeding) with as little as a trio of two does and a buck. It takes commitment to the rabbits though - that you'll get them homes - and it takes buying stock that others believe can have babies, etc. (For instance - I'm still concerned about Cindy giving birth when I breed her - but other breeders have told me she's just fine and should not have any issues. Since several of them have told me that - I will believe them - but I do get nervous). A good way to go about it would be to start with a proven doe, a younger doe - and the nicest buck you can find.

I so agree with you about the commitment to the rabbits and finding them good homes. Thatis one of my biggest concerns and is something I definitely would/will have figured out prior to beginning breeding. I think staring with a trio, as you suggested, is a great idea. Its not too manyand leaves enough room for babies that refuse to leave my house! :bunny17: (I know, I will have to part with at least some of them!)

Sorry to hear Sweat Pea is not feeling well. Keeping her in our thoughts! :pray:

Best of luck to Angel with her spay tomorrow (I think its tomorrow?!)

I pick her up and move her and tell her "No" in a stern voice - and she runs off to another cage...to do it again to someone else.

DUMB RABBIT.

lol. I bet she is telling her litter mates she is"brave". As they say, there is a fine line between bravery and stupidity! :D

First of all - Angel is doing great after her spay. She's eating and drinking fine and taking some pain meds still.

Hermes had playtime for several hours today - boy - what a happy guy.

Harmony is now out playing - a pregnant Harmony - who is HUGE now. Turns out she now makes show weight at 14 pounds 6 1/2 ounces. I think part of it her new diet - but I think another part of it is the fact that she is pregnant. She was around 13 pounds a month ago - maybe 13 lbs 4 oz. - something like that. So she has put on a good amount of weight.

I guess that is all for now.

Some photos of Nyx's kids from today....

The buck who is pick of the litter (to breed back to mama) is grooming "flatnose" - the girl who sticks her nose in other bunny's cages and of course - someone else wants in on the attention.
[align=center]
IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

Would you STOP taking pictures of me? Please!
IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

I feel like I'm missing a cheerio - wasn't there another one here before I tipped the bowl over a bit?

IMG_0309.jpg

[/align]

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
They are soooo cute! Has momma taught them how to escape?
Thank God - NO! She tries to escape herself sometimes when I open the cage door - but it is pretty hard to get out of a dog kennel.

I can't get over how good of a mommy Nyx is now that they're older. (Art can't get over how HUGE they are and she's still nursing them apparently). But they're about 6 or 7 weeks old - so they still can stay with mommy.

By the way - it looks like she gave us 5 girls and 2 boys. I'm very happy at that - I already have a home that wants a boy (I think) and I know I"m keeping the biggest buck if I decide to do a steel program - to take him back to mama.

Harmony has become a sweetie pie when I go to pet her...she just LOVES pets and will let me pet her for 20 minutes or more at a time (if I will). She also loves to drive me crazy by digging in her cage. I keep telling her that the Mexican border is in the other direction - or that the border is closed for the weekend...or that they've stopped taking in bunnies. She just gives me dirty looks and keeps on digging.

Athena will be 3 weeks pregnant on Monday - with Harmony being 3 weeks pregnant on Tuesday and Calypso 3 weeks pregnant on Thursday. I am not sure but I thought I might have seen babies kicking today when I was petting Harmony. But I didn't want to stress her out right then by checking.

One of my goals for tomorrow is to take pictures of the five (yes FIVE) girls I'm keeping and then asking everyone to help name them (probably in the main forum where more people will see it).

I'm keeping Sweet Pea as she was "pick of the litter". I may be keeping CJ as she's developing fairly well - I need to take her out and look at her better but the other day I looked at her and was like, "When did you turn into such a beauty?". Then there is the doe that was my second choice - she may be going to another breeder - or staying here. There is a girl who has one lopped ear - BUT - she is massive compared to her sisters and she is what many would call a "piece" bunny. She has the shoulders and mass I need to bring back into my lines. Finally - I'm keeping "Lil Bit" who we've renamed "Lil One" since there was a character in a play my kids read that was named Lil Bit and her name reminded them of the play - which was very unsettling.

I know - why am I keeping Lil One? Because..it dawned on me - she is out of Hermes....so my best chances of getting whites - will be to take her back to him.

Well - I guess that is pretty much it - I'm wiped out.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Need Help Naming Five Does for my Rabbitry

Also - I have had Harmony, Calypso, Athena and Sophia out for several hours today - with Harmony mainly locked in the rabbitry. No major scuffles - a couple of small ones.

They're all currently out with the five young does....now THIS will be interesting!

IMG_0331.jpg

:big kiss: Oh, they are so beautiful!! Tell our Nyx she did GOOD!

I looked through your blog, and couldn't find the answer to this (sorry if I just missed it): Are all of Nyx's steel, or do you have some light grey? The above look pretty light...but I guess it could just be the lighting.

All of Nyx's are steel - they just look light gray from the lighting in this photo.

I'm dying inside - some folks who I know are going to be AWESOME bunny parents - are coming to adopt two of Nyx's girls....

I know they're going to a great home - with experienced parents/slaves and an awesome setup.

But I think the key word is "going"....

Its been a good/bad day. Shortly after I woke up - we got a horrific thunderstorm. Since we had people coming to look at the bunnies and it looked like the porch was going to be under water - Robin & I set up an area in the garage (even though I didn't care for it - that was my last best hope). Then I laid down for a bit and Robin came in and said, "You might want to come see Harmony (who was playing) - she's nesting with a Walmart plastic bag"...

So out I come to see Harmony trying to build a nest right next to Sophia's cage (big mistake as they hate each other)...and she's using a Walmart plastic bag that she was able to empty out along with some hay Robin put down for her. Robin was laughing because once Harmony got the bag emptied out - she was shaking it in the air like she was waving a flag (to get the wrinkles out?)...

I wound up getting Harmony set up with a nestbox (again - she peed in it last time but that's another story unless I"ve told it already)...and Robin and I move everything from the garage to the porch since it is now getting nice out and drying off.

So the couple arrive who want to adopt the rabbits. Let me tell you - first thing - one of the nicest thing about breeding rabbits - is you get to meet some of the nicest people. That is the case with this couple - they've had rabbits (indoor - Nethies) for 8 1/2 years and it is obvious that they love rabbits. They have two male flemish that they want to breed when the girls are old enough - and they have this awesome area set up and the husband makes some of the neatest hutches with super ideas (like putting trellis type wood on top of the wire in the cage so they don't have to sit on wire).

It was so nice to talk to them and they wound up taking THREE does home - all sisters.

So it was good - and it was sad (which I guess isn't really bad).

I've been a bit quiet lately because of some things that are bugging me - part of me wants to share and part of me is going, "Shut up Peg...". I'm going to give in to the part of me that wants to share and see what y'all say - particularly those of you who show.

As everyone knows - I LOVE flemish giants. They make such awesome pets - I think they're just adorable. I love working with them and I even love breeding them (even if they give me more babies than I want).

But the two shows I've gone to - I've not "connected" with any flemish giant breeders. Its hard to explain - when I was in Connecticut to the show this last fall...the flemish breeders were (mostly) friendly to one another (there is one guy there who no one really liked and he was very arrogant). Its like the flemish giant breeders wanted to support one another - at least a few of them that I saw and they were not overly close-knit - but they seemed to be friendly and enjoyed being together.

Here...its...I don't know. Its a different feeling. Its like they know you're there and say "hi" but that is about it. Everyone seems to be doing their own thing and not hanging out together - well - that isn't it either. Its just a different feeling. I guess its the difference between going to a family picnic where everyone is teasing each other about the old family memories - and going to an employee picnic where you recognize a few people...but no one you're really close to.

The holland lop breeders here though - are totally something else. Yeah...there's a few breeders that perhaps aren't well liked or spoken of - but most of them just welcomed me with open arms - gave me advice - walked me around the room to show me different rabbits - kept their eyes open for rabbits for me - and generally - made me feel like "family". When I made my first purchase it was like "wow..you're one of US now" - which is what one of them said.

Its almost like those breeders have the "family" atmosphere I enjoy.

When I got out of lionheads - there were two reasons I got out - and one of them was the fact that there was so much politics and backbiting going on within the club. I didn't like the arguing and all that went on. (When I first started it felt more "family" but there was some fighting even then when I look back on it).

My point? I don't know. I'm discouraged at breeding flemish and taking them to shows (especially the showing part) when I feel...like a 5th wheel. Meanwhile - I get even more excited about going and taking the hollands and showing them - because I know the folks are gonna seek me out if I don't see them first (especially Cindy's breeder) and I know they'll help me improve my herd when it comes to looking at new additions, etc.

I'd love to hear any thoughts or advice on this....

By the way - I'm not planning on getting out of breeding flemish. I don't know how much I will show them....but I'm finding that there are people who want flemish giants and they don't know where to go to find them...so I feel like as long as I don't overbreed...I should do ok.

I understand how you could feel a bit isolated, Peg. It's not fun to feel like you haven't really connected with anyone in the group.

I guess my input would be, remember that you are dealing with a larger group of people in the Holland club. Sometimes that makes it easier to connect. That might seem backward. But if you think about it, there is a bigger "pool" of people for you to have something in common with. Like all groups, some people are much more outgoing than others are. And, if the Flemmie club has 1/2 as many people, it might be that they are still missing "that" person who is super friendly...the one I like to call the "social director", lol. "Hey, let's put our chairs together during the show! Hey, I have a big batch of chocolate chip cookies for us all to share! Hey, let's exchange contact info!" You know...the one who is the glue that keeps it all together.

The Flemmie group might be more reserved because they don't have as many super-social types. Maybe YOU could be the "social director" for the Flemmie club, LOL. :biggrin2:

So my :twocents : Give them another chance. :big wink:

BTW, glad to hear you aren't planning to give up Flemmies altogether!! Remember, it will be much easier to know what you are aiming for if you are taking them to shows for the judges to evaluate! Maybe Hollands will be your main focus...and the group you like to "hang" with...but if I were you, I wouldn't forgo showing the Flemmies altogether.

You know I love you, either way!

wabbitmom12 wrote:
I understand how you could feel a bit isolated, Peg. It's not fun to feel like you haven't really connected with anyone in the group.
I guess it isn't as much that I haven't connected with anyone (although partly that) - as it is - I wasn't a big fan of the people I met.

Imagine sitting at the table for the buffet and hearing someone say, "Yeah...I had a buck out of XYZ...didn't do me a bit of good - so we ate him. If he won't produce then he's supper."

I understand people eat rabbit - I really do. I understand that flemish are considered a "meat" rabbit. But the attitude I saw towards the animals themselves were like they were just livestock that you deal with - whereby mine are beloved pets.

I guess my input would be, remember that you are dealing with a larger group of people in the Holland club. Sometimes that makes it easier to connect. That might seem backward. But if you think about it, there is a bigger "pool" of people for you to have something in common with. Like all groups, some people are much more outgoing than others are. And, if the Flemmie club has 1/2 as many people, it might be that they are still missing "that" person who is super friendly...the one I like to call the "social director", lol. "Hey, let's put our chairs together during the show! Hey, I have a big batch of chocolate chip cookies for us all to share! Hey, let's exchange contact info!" You know...the one who is the glue that keeps it all together.

I was talking to someone about this the other night and it could be that they need someone friendly - but it also could be that the way to make things better will be to get MORE breeders involved somehow (like help a youth start breeding - or a family or something) and then be able to cheer them on. In other words - find like-minded people - get them breeding if they're interested - and then have a starting "group" to work with.

Honestly - I was sorta treated (and I will state that not all flemish breeders were there at the shows I was at) - like the red headed cousin (forget step-child)....that you need to put up with.

However - the way the holland lop people literally reached out to me - almost brought me to tears. It was like, "You want a rabbit? Hey.....let's go all over the show and look for you and then help you figure out what rabbits to avoid even if we don't make a penny from it..." and then "So what shows will you be at? We'll look for you there.."

Totally different mindset.

The Flemmie group might be more reserved because they don't have as many super-social types. Maybe YOU could be the "social director" for the Flemmie club, LOL. :biggrin2:

BTW, glad to hear you aren't planning to give up Flemmies altogether!! Remember, it will be much easier to know what you are aiming for if you are taking them to shows for the judges to evaluate! Maybe Hollands will be your main focus...and the group you like to "hang" with...but if I were you, I wouldn't forgo showing the Flemmies altogether.

You know I love you, either way!
I think the decision I've come up with is that I'll still show some flemish at shows - if nothing else - perhaps it will help someone else earn a leg for their wins and the judges can help me determine what I need to work on in my lines. It isn't like won't show flemish at all. I'll probably even take some to sell as pets.

But I may add a few more hollands to my line - right now I have two bucks and three does. I'm thinking I may add another two does in June at the show IF I find two does that I feel are worth adding. I'd like to add a tricolor doe also (broken harlequin basically) - and there are other colors that I love (chinchilla for example).

I think I'm at a point where I could see myself taking something like 10 hollands to a show and four flemish or something like that.

There's some other stuff I'm thinking about - I've been told I'm undercharging for flemish giant pets - and I'm finding that it is easier to find homes for them than thought it would be. Basically - Nyx's litter is all spoken for (or gone) - the first two litters of flemish are gone or here (the ones I intended to keep). When the girls have their babies this week - even if we have 30 of them (I hope not) - I now know how to find them homes and advertise and I was encouraged by someone that within a year or two - I could wind up with a waiting list for pet bunnies.

Anyway - enough babbling for now I guess.

ARG! Every time a thunderstorm rolls through (pretty common right now) - Harmony starts thinking she's going into labor and nest-building and freaking out and pacing in her cage.

Tuesday is day 30 for Athena (who got her nestbox last night and is ignoring it) - day 29 for Harmony and day 27 for Calypso.

I'm so anxious to see these pregnancies done and have the babies born safely.

Oh - and Harmony wants NOTHING to do with her nestbox - she wants to build a nest in the back corner of her cage and she's turning over her nestbox and trying to dump it out.

The upside of all this? She's becoming a real sweetheart and loves to get ear rubs.

The downside? I'm all the time going into the rabbitry to give her ear rubs and calm her (and me) down so she'll stop DIGGING.

WHY did I want to breed again????

:p

TinysMom wrote:
wabbitmom12 wrote:
I guess it isn't as much that I haven't connected with anyone (although partly that) - as it is - I wasn't a big fan of the people I met.

Imagine sitting at the table for the buffet and hearing someone say, "Yeah...I had a buck out of XYZ...didn't do me a bit of good - so we ate him. If he won't produce then he's supper." :shock: Yikes!! I can seewhat you mean! What a jerk.

I understand people eat rabbit - I really do. I understand that flemish are considered a "meat" rabbit. But the attitude I saw towards the animals themselves were like they were just livestock that you deal with - whereby mine are beloved pets. That's horrible!! And it shows how little they know about Flemmies, really, because they are considered to fatty to be used for meat. Seems like anyone who is just in it "for the money" doesn't care about producing personable rabbits, either.

I was talking to someone about this the other night and it could be that they need someone friendly - but it also could be that the way to make things better will be to get MORE breeders involved somehow (like help a youth start breeding - or a family or something) and then be able to cheer them on. In other words - find like-minded people - get them breeding if they're interested - and then have a starting "group" to work with. Having a group with kids and families probably would make it friendlier. But if you are like me, I don't have time for even ONE more thing on my plate right now! Someone else would have toget it going.:p
Honestly - I was sorta treated (and I will state that not all flemish breeders were there at the shows I was at) - like the red headed cousin (forget step-child)....that you need to put up with.

However - the way the holland lop people literally reached out to me - almost brought me to tears. It was like, "You want a rabbit? Hey.....let's go all over the show and look for you and then help you figure out what rabbits to avoid even if we don't make a penny from it..." and then "So what shows will you be at? We'll look for you there.."

Totally different mindset. I'm glad you have found a good niche with the Holland breeders! It will make going to the shows so much fun.

You know I love you, either way! I still do...and hope you didn't think I was criticizing you.( You asked for a little feedback. ;)) I'm glad you elaborated a bit more about what bothered you...and I can see where you're coming from. I would probably feel the same! :hugsquish:
I think the decision I've come up with is that I'll still show some flemish at shows - if nothing else - perhaps it will help someone else earn a leg for their wins and the judges can help me determine what I need to work on in my lines. It isn't like won't show flemish at all. I'll probably even take some to sell as pets.

But I may add a few more hollands to my line - right now I have two bucks and three does. I'm thinking I may add another two does in June at the show IF I find two does that I feel are worth adding. I'd like to add a tricolor doe also (broken harlequin basically) - and there are other colors that I love (chinchilla for example).

I think I'm at a point where I could see myself taking something like 10 hollands to a show and four flemish or something like that. I figured you were planning something like that. Smart idea. :D

There's some other stuff I'm thinking about - I've been told I'm undercharging for flemish giant pets - and I'm finding that it is easier to find homes for them than thought it would be. Basically - Nyx's litter is all spoken for (or gone) - the first two litters of flemish are gone or here (the ones I intended to keep). When the girls have their babies this week - even if we have 30 of them (I hope not) - I now know how to find them homes and advertise and I was encouraged by someone that within a year or two - I could wind up with a waiting list for pet bunnies.

Anyway - enough babbling for now I guess.

Karen - sometimes I like criticism because it helps me grow - so I always look for a nugget of truth. Sometimes I find several nuggets...sometimes I have to pull out a magnifying glass to find a crumb of a nugget.

But I didn't feel criticized by you at all.

And just to note - it is now day 31 of pregnancy count for Athena, day 30 for Harmony and day 28 for Calypso.

I'm not nervous at all...nope....not at all.

And honestly - I do have an underwater island to sell you right near the Brooklyn Bridge....

:D

Latest posts

Back