Texan Tales (& Tails) - by TinysMom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh! They are so cute and getting so big! Fluffy bunners!

I also wanted to comment that if I were in your position with Athena only having one more litter, I'd go with the unknown and breed her to your other buck. Genetics and breeding fascinates me and I'd just have to see how that combination would turn out. I'm going under the assumption that those two would be promising as far as not crossing the same faults and whatnot.

If it were me I'd probably love the challenge of breeding steels but I also don't think I could bear to breed and deal with all the stress like you've had these past few weeks. White buns are my least favorite color though, so I'm a tad prejudiced!

I really hope Cyrano makes it and also that they stop licking him so much!

A short update - maybe photos in the next couple of days - haven't taken any more since last time.

Cyrano is continuing to grow - and he's binkying and getting more confidence to act like a bunny now. He tried to bully his biggest brother to get to some oatmeal I put down for them (the brother wound up on top of him cross-wise with both of them eating the oatmeal).

The blind girl now has a name and I'm spending some time with her. Her name is "Crosby" - named after the noted hymnwriter "Fanny Crosby" who wrote over 8,000 hymns during her life (many of them among my favorites). Fanny was blind since infancy and never treated it like it was a big issue. There is also a town named "Crosby, TX" - so naming her that is helping to go with the theme of Texas towns.

Crosby is hilarious - she loves to be petted and held and will let me cuddle with her for 15 minutes or so - but let me put her down - and she flicks me off as she hops away.

I'm mailing Juan the check(s) on Monday for the doe(s). I'm still going back and forth on getting the second doe. I had hoped with the shipment of rabbits I'd be getting - to get an e-lop as a pet. I knew that the e-lop would need a large cage (I wasn't mentioning anything about it here because I didn't want to get anyone's hopes up).

But the more I think about it - the more I think I want to wait on getting an e-lop. I want to find the "right" one and I think that is going to mean meeting it in person and getting to handle it and play with it.

In addition - I am reminding myself that Athena's cage will be getting freed up in the future.

So I've been looking at the pictures of both girls and I want to get pictures of both my boys to see their strengths better (I do better studying them when I have a picture) - and then I'll call Juan and talk to him and make a decision.

So I guess that is all for now - I'll keep y'all updated and hopefully more pictures next time.

TinysMom wrote:
The blind girl now has a name and I'm spending some time with her. Her name is "Crosby" - named after the noted hymnwriter "Fanny Crosby" who wrote over 8,000 hymns during her life (many of them among my favorites).
Peggy, I LOVE this! :hug:What a wonderful gift to give your special girl, to be named after such a truly remarkable woman & talented hymnwriter.

wabbitmom12 wrote:
TinysMom wrote:
The blind girl now has a name and I'm spending some time with her. Her name is "Crosby" - named after the noted hymnwriter "Fanny Crosby" who wrote over 8,000 hymns during her life (many of them among my favorites).
Peggy, I LOVE this! :hug:What a wonderful gift to give your special girl, to be named after such a truly remarkable woman & talented hymnwriter.
Thanks. When I was growing up - my "heroes" were missionaries like Mary Slessor & Gladys Aylward & great heroes of the faith like George Mueller and Dwight Moody and of course - I loved Fanny Crosby.

When our church's missionary society would get in their new books every year for members to read - they always knew I'd read both the kids' books and the adult books - even though I was only 10 years old when I started reading them.

I love knowing the stories behind these people's lives - especially when it has to do with a hymn like "It is Well With My Soul" (and yes - I'm totally off on a ramble now). But anyway - for those who don't know...here is the story..

It is Well with My Soul, the Song and the Story Composer Horatio Spafford, It is Well with My Soul Horatio Spafford (1828-1888) was a wealthy Chicago lawyer with a thriving legal practice, a beautiful home, a wife, four daughters and a son. He was also a devout Christian and faithful student of the Scriptures. His circle of friends included Dwight L. Moody, Ira Sankey and various other well-known clergymen of the day.

At the very height of his success, Horatio and his wife Anna suffered the tragic loss of their young son. Shortly thereafter on October 8, 1871, the Great Chicago Fire destroyed almost every real estate investment Spafford had.

In 1873, Spafford scheduled a boat trip to Europe, to give his wife and daughters a much needed vacation from tragedy, and so that he might join Moody and Sankey for an evangelistic campaign in England. Spafford sent his wife and daughters on ahead while he remained in Chicago, to take care of some unexpected last minute business. Several days later he received notice that his family's ship had encountered a collision in which all four of his daughters drowned; only his wife had survived.

With a heavy heart, Spafford boarded a boat that would take him to his grieving Anna, in England. It was on this trip that he penned those now famous words,
when sorrow like sea billows roll; it is well, it is well with my soul..

Philip Bliss (1838-1876), composer of many songs including
Hold the Fort, Let the Lower Lights be Burning, and Jesus Loves Even Me, was so impressed with Spafford's life and the words of his hymn that he composed a beautiful piece of music to accompany the lyrics. The song was published by Bliss and Sankey, in 1876.

For more than a century, the tragic story of one man has given hope to countless thousands who have lifted their voices to sing,
It Is Well With My Soul.

http://www.faithclipart.com/guide/C...well-with-my-soul-the-song-and-the-story.html

I forgot to add that babies and mama have now moved to a regular cage 24/7. They are on an upper level - next to Mercury who is going, "They aren't mine...I was framed..."

TinysMom wrote:
I forgot to add that babies and mama have now moved to a regular cage 24/7. They are on an upper level - next to Mercury who is going, "They aren't mine...I was framed..." LOl.

Can we get pic's of Athena next time you take pic's? She is one of my faves!

:inlove:

TinysMom wrote:
wabbitmom12 wrote:
TinysMom wrote:
Thanks. When I was growing up - my "heroes" were missionaries like Mary Slessor & Gladys Aylward & great heroes of the faith like George Mueller and Dwight Moody and of course - I loved Fanny Crosby.

When our church's missionary society would get in their new books every year for members to read - they always knew I'd read both the kids' books and the adult books - even though I was only 10 years old when I started reading them.

I love knowing the stories behind these people's lives - especially when it has to do with a hymn like "It is Well With My Soul" (and yes - I'm totally off on a ramble now). But anyway - for those who don't know...here is the story..

It is Well with My Soul, the Song and the Story Composer Horatio Spafford, It is Well with My Soul Horatio Spafford (1828-1888) was a wealthy Chicago lawyer with a thriving legal practice, a beautiful home, a wife, four daughters and a son. He was also a devout Christian and faithful student of the Scriptures. His circle of friends included Dwight L. Moody, Ira Sankey and various other well-known clergymen of the day.

At the very height of his success, Horatio and his wife Anna suffered the tragic loss of their young son. Shortly thereafter on October 8, 1871, the Great Chicago Fire destroyed almost every real estate investment Spafford had.

In 1873, Spafford scheduled a boat trip to Europe, to give his wife and daughters a much needed vacation from tragedy, and so that he might join Moody and Sankey for an evangelistic campaign in England. Spafford sent his wife and daughters on ahead while he remained in Chicago, to take care of some unexpected last minute business. Several days later he received notice that his family's ship had encountered a collision in which all four of his daughters drowned; only his wife had survived.

With a heavy heart, Spafford boarded a boat that would take him to his grieving Anna, in England. It was on this trip that he penned those now famous words,
when sorrow like sea billows roll; it is well, it is well with my soul..

Philip Bliss (1838-1876), composer of many songs including
Hold the Fort, Let the Lower Lights be Burning, and Jesus Loves Even Me, was so impressed with Spafford's life and the words of his hymn that he composed a beautiful piece of music to accompany the lyrics. The song was published by Bliss and Sankey, in 1876.

For more than a century, the tragic story of one man has given hope to countless thousands who have lifted their voices to sing,
It Is Well With My Soul.

http://www.faithclipart.com/guide/Christian-Music/hymns-the-songs-and-the-stories/it-is-well-with-my-soul-the-song-and-the-story.html
"It is Well" isone of my favorites too!

Thanks for the reminder of how the song was inspired. It is truly an example of how God can take tragedy and turn it into something useful, and even beautiful, in our lives. Because Spafford chose to trust Christ in the midst of his suffering, he found comfort. Years later, millions of people have been blessed and comforted by his words.

And Kristin and I read the story of Gladys Aylward together a couple of years ago. Ibelieve the title of the book was These are My People, and was about her many years in Japan. It was amazing.

Give our little Crosby a kiss on the nose for me...she is a special bun indeed.

While the Inn of the Sixth Happiness movie is not an accurate telling of Gladys Aylward's life....it does tell about some of her life. (She gave up the man she loved in order to do the work she did).

From what I've heard (and I can't remember where/how I heard it) when Ingrid Bergman played her and did research into her life for the movie - she was so touched she became a Christian. I forget though where I heard that...

I will try to get pics later this weekend or early next week - right now babies and mama are snacking on some banana (don't worry - babies didn't get much and mama gets it fairly often so it shouldn't bother them).

I forgot to add - one of the babies may have a home when it is ready to be weaned. More details later....I need think about it although someone I trust does feel like the person would make a good parent to a bunny.

Note to self - do not try to upload and edit photos while making tomato soup (even if it is on low).

I'll share more pictures later - gotta go tend the soup...but for now...

What do you mean - look at those ears? I like my ears!
DSCF6054-1.jpg

I disapprove.
DSCF6055-1.jpg

Where's Cyrano? Why can I never find him?
DSCF6079-1.jpg

How dare you try to clean out our cage (and spill some on the floor)! We worked hard to get our cage messy like this. BAD HUMAN!
DSCF6064-1.jpg

Can you find Cyrano? Plus...see how they sleep?
DSCF6078-1.jpg

I wish I knew what they were planning together...
DSCF6071-1.jpg

Wouldn't you love to know what this one is thinking?
DSCF6072-1.jpg

:inlove: The size of the bunnies are so different. One bunny laying stretched out in the purple cage looks huge compared to the others. :)

Can you find Cyrano? Plus...see how they sleep?
DSCF6078-1.jpg

Peggy, these babies are KILLING ME WITH CUTENESS! :faint:

I cannot wait until we have a "box full" of babies again!

*crossing fingers that Sweetie is pregnant*

I have more to upload in the morning when I'm done cropping them - heading to bed now!

[align=center]They really do love to sleep together...as much as possible.[/align][align=center]
DSCF6051-1.jpg

For some reason - this just struck me as being cute. One bunny had been laying there alone and then the other one came over and flopped down and tried to get comfortable beside its littermate.
DSCF6038-1.jpg

They love their hay...
DSCF6034-1.jpg

I just can't get over how fast they're growing and filling up the box.
DSCF6025-1.jpg

Just thought this was a cute face...
DSCF6031-1.jpg

One sleeps while the other stands guard?
DSCF6021-1.jpg

Look at those ears...already!
DSCF6008-1.jpg

Notice the leg draped over brother/sister...
DSCF6004-1.jpg

DSCF6001-1.jpg

DSCF6010-1.jpg

[/align]

Peg have been noticing that different FG have different ears, and ears that r set differently on the head. Some r close together and some are farther apart...Both my boys have completely different kinds.

Is there a certain type that is looked better on by the judges, or does it even matter???

Latest posts

Back