testicular tumor in 6yr old

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

cuteus

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2019
Messages
79
Reaction score
30
Location
long island
My mini lop has an enlarged testicle that I first noticed last year at the start of the pandemic. I secured an appt with one of his vets and she stated that it was most likely a tumor and they were usually not malignant. Surgery is the only option. She did not convey urgency so here I am, a year later, and have an appt for a neuter tomorrow. I have second thoughts because the enlarged testicle does not seem to affect his mobility or his litterbox habits. He runs around, plays with his beach ball and lays on his stomach with the testicle visible by his tail. I just wonder why fix what might not need fixing? It is a very expensive quote at $500 for the least expensive practice and over $1000 for another, Non elective neuter quoted at $275. So, even the elective neuter we have gotten a quote of over $200 in the rabbit practices. It is crazy! They want to keep him overnight but no one is there at night so I wanted to bring him home that same night. I would need to sign a waiver for AMA. The vet just want him to have forced rest and staying over is suggested. I worry that if there is an emergency like bleeding, no one will know until morning. Bun hates cages and will fight to get out. Not sure if he does that at the vet but if he does, he might irritate the surgery area and cause bleeding. At least at home I would see it happen. If he is at home, he is more likely to want to move around since he is more at ease. None of the other two bunnies that passed away were neutered. One did get some bladder grit, but neutering does not really prevent that.
I guess I am hoping for less expensive neutering on Long Island, but if there is none, then, should he stay over or come home same day?
Bunny ownership is not cheap on Long Island.
Thank you for any thoughts!
 

bunny34422

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2020
Messages
65
Reaction score
79
Location
New York, USA
I'm on Long Island too! I have no advice, sorry, but yeah it's pretty expensive here. I plan on taking mine to Catnip & Carrots, almost every rabbit owner I've talked to and Long Island Rabbit Rescue recommends them, and when I called I was told it's $67 for the first checkup and around $350 for the neuter. They do keep their rabbits overnight, I worried too because mine hates being caged but was told that he may be too sore to fight, and Catnip's owner cares very much and staff will stay overtime for your rabbit.

However another rabbit rescue told me to contact Center for Avian and Exotic Medicine in NYC, apparently they're pretty good too and they have a $250 value spay and neuter program (no overnight stay, not including initial checkup which is around $100) for those who can't afford their standard prices (quoted $400-500, someone told me theirs was $325 though). They do have a long wait for the $250 neuter though, their next slot for males is in June so I decided to go with Catnip instead.
 

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 10, 2012
Messages
10,954
Reaction score
6,468
Location
Utah, , USA
He's had it so long and it's not affecting his life or mobility, there's obviously no rush as the vet seemed to indicate. I think it's really up to you if you want to have it done or not. If you do decide to go ahead and have it done, I wouldn't leave him overnight either and would bring him home where I could monitor his recovery. I don't see the point of keeping him there if there won't be anyone there to watch him.
 

Lucylop

New Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2021
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
uk
Hi, what was the outcome of this? I am in a very similar situation...
I have been to the vets today as I had noticed one of my boys testes was much bigger than the other. She has diagnosed it as a tumor and says that the only way to solve the problem would be to remove it. He is 7 nearly 8 and she said obviously due to his age there is a massive risk that comes with anesthesia. She also said that it might not be malignant and he may live happily for years without treatment. He is fine in himself, running around loads, eating and pooping as usual. I love him so much and I am not ready to lose him either way. I have had a rabbit die previously because of anesthesia so its made it a really hard decision for me.
 

Diane R

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2019
Messages
807
Reaction score
820
Location
London, UK
Hi, what was the outcome of this? I am in a very similar situation...
I have been to the vets today as I had noticed one of my boys testes was much bigger than the other. She has diagnosed it as a tumor and says that the only way to solve the problem would be to remove it. He is 7 nearly 8 and she said obviously due to his age there is a massive risk that comes with anesthesia. She also said that it might not be malignant and he may live happily for years without treatment. He is fine in himself, running around loads, eating and pooping as usual. I love him so much and I am not ready to lose him either way. I have had a rabbit die previously because of anesthesia so its made it a really hard decision for me.
Go to a good rabbit vet. Check on the RWAF vet list. I would definitely have him neutered.
 

Latest posts

Top