Teeth problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great :) I must have missed where you said it earlier, sorry about that.

It's possible that Bicillin is causing a decreased appetite, but that'sactually a pretty rare side effect for an injectable antibiotic. Youmention the pain med torbutrol, which can also lead to a decreasedappetite. But of course, she wasn't feeling ill on it before.

I really wish I had more advice for you, but it sounds like you'redoing everything you can. If you feel like she's becoming dehydrated orgetting weaker, then it would definitely be time to call the vet.

No no don't worry about it. All the input is helpful. Better twice then never.

The thing about Penny so far she hasn't acted that she is going intostasis. When I let her out, she lays down, but makes a few trips aroundthe room and the hall, once in a while.

I have been messaging her belly a little.

There was someone who's rabbit had decreasedappetite from injected Bicillin. I think it wasHoneypot? There's so many humans that are allergic topenicillin-type antibiotics I wouldn't be surprised if a few rabbitshave problems with it too. It might be worth discussing withyour vet. Maybe an antibiotic-laced bead would be a betteroption for her *if* the Bicillin is the problem.

You can get Nutri-Cal at a lot of petstores. I bought mine atPetsmart in the dog section. The B vitamins in it can helpstimulate the appetite, plus it's a handy way to increase the caloriesin pellet mush or just by smushing it on a paw.

Does her belly feel swollen from gas at all?

Since it's been 24 hours without poop, it would probably be a good ideato call your vet and talk to him. He might have some ideas onhow to help her, or he might want to see her to see if there's anythingwrong that might be causing this.

Naturestee,

On monday, Penny got beads implanted as well as started her Bicillin treatment.

I just talked to a vet. Not my guy though, same vet place. Hesaid bring her in, they will give her fluid under the skin and someenzimes.

I just read somewhere that a rabbit went through 2 weeks withoutpooping. Has anyone else seen this. This seems impossible,considering stasis can start in rabbits if they don't poop within24hrs.

EDIT: So I'm bring Penny in, asap, after I get off work. Andon the way I'll stop by at the local pet shop for some Nutri-Cal.

I think I've heard of similar cases, but Iforget if the rabbit survived. Stasis does set in, but withproper treatment a rabbit can be brought out of it.

Yesterday at the vet, the doc gave Penny a shot of fluids, something to move her poop and checked her stomach.
He said that he doesn't believe its stasis.
We took her home no poop last night, but today in the morning she pooped 12-13 pellets, after 48hrs of no poop.
Her poop came out with some stuff I've never seen before. Itlooked like glue. All of her poops were attached to somestuff that looks like rubber snot, it's semi clear.

I think that Bicillin is killing her apetite, and we will have to forcefeed her for a while till she gets off Bicillin. Oh thissucks, but I'm so what relieved that she pooped. I couldn'trealy sleep last night, cause I'm worring so much.

Thanks again everyone.

The "rubber snot" is mucous from theintestines. It builds up when the intestines aren't moving asmuch as normal and/or from bacterial issues in theintestines. I'm not a big believer in probiotics for rabbits,but you could try adding Benebac to her Critical Care/pelletmush. Critical Care has some probiotic stuff added, but Idon't know how effective dried bacteria are. You can getBenebac from a lot of pet stores. The small animal, bird,cat, and dog versions should all be the same ingredient but indifferent sizes.

Did the vet say she was dehydrated? If so, encourage her todrink more with flavored water and syringe more water into her.

Thank you,

Yes vet said that he believes its dehyration. That why he gave her a shot of fluids under skin.

I went and got pedialyte as you guys told me. And we started syranging that also with water.

After her morning poops that I mentioned, she pooped about 10 morepellets a least. And I caught her drinking watertwice. I hope she is coming out of it.

I will look into Benebac, thanks again.

Poops are getting better, they are not round,but like an oval, but nice size. They are hard, but have asmall amount of sticky layer on them.

I just caught Penny muching on some parsely. I haven't seenher do that in the last 3 week. Only a few times.

EDIT: AND SHE IS EATING HER TIMOTHY PELLETS AS I TYPE!!! YAY!!!!

Oh Im so glad to read this!

I was gone all day today and thinking of Penny. I was hoping she was improving.

Did the vet say anything about the injections of Bicillin maybe causinga problem? I dont know much about antibiotics, but it seems like thebeads by themselves would provide enough and you wouldnt need theBicillin. I just wonder if its a lot for her system to take.

Anyway, glad to hear shes feeling better! Keep us posted :)

Haley, I'm so happy too, thanks for thinking about Penny.

I had two vets tell me that the buns that got sick from Bicillin had runny poop, but never constipation.
The vet yesterday said that Bicillin and other drugs might have causedher to have loss in apitite. So after reading here that vitamin Braises the apitite my mom got Penny vitamin B1, B6 and Folic acid(another vitamin B). She also got penny some soil basedorganizms with different lacto-bacilles. An hour after wecruched and put the vitamins in water and syranged it to her, shestarted eating.

She is still making trips to the her food and poopin. Shestill has 2 and half weeks of Bicillin. She realy doesn'tmind the shot to the back of her neck, but my mom tried her butt andPenny ran off and thumped. I think there is less nerveendings in the back of the neck, where the mom takes the baby and pickit up.

Anyways, I'm happy tonight. PHew.

Yay Penny! Keep it up!

The Nutri-Cal has vitamin B's, which is one reason it works sowell. :) Good call! You're doing a greatjob with her!

sas :)and the buns:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Thanks guys, I was on my way to get Nutri-care but my mom told me she has enough vitamin B in the house.

Lol, the avatar is Molly. She used to make nests before shewas spayed. It was so cute, she would gather anything shecould find into a corner and then sit there for at least aday. Somebody told me that Molly was having falsepregnancies.

Hehe, Molly is a cute one, I'll start a blog soon, there are plenty of pictures to share.

Penny seems to get her appetite back every morning after we give hervitam B stuff I mentioned earlier, pain killers, and cisapride to moveher track and pedialyte. Then she poops nice size poops,which are green and not as dark as they used to be. Then inthe mornings she is huddled up in a corner and no poops in thenight.

So she poops through the day, but no poops at night. Maybeits because she sit in the her rabbit house and there is not enoughmovement to stimulate her intestine. After all she hasn't hadmuch hay in about 3 or more weeks.

My next recheckup is on Wed.

I have one quesiton. How much pedialyte should we give Penny? She is about 5-6lbs. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back