Teeth problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haley,
For the life of me I can't find a store with pumpkins, they ALL willget pumpkins next week. Real pumpkins, not canned.There is a pumpkin patch outside the city. I will call and mygf will pick it up, she works close by.

Naturestee,
She hasn't been eating on her own at all, so as soon as I got home wesyranged about 9-10 cc of critical care. Not too thick, nottoo watered down.

Pipp,
The pain killers are Torbutrol. I think today will be thelast day we will give it to her three times a day, and start twice aday tomorrow.

I took her 1cc syrange and cut off the tip, this way ALL of thecritical care can be sifened into the tube, all of the fiberystuff. I'm very glad that she ate.
Also I asked the doctor for some meds to get her bowels moving becauseshe didn't go at all today. He gave me Cisapride, I was giventhis before btw and it worked before for stasis.

About an hour ago I let Penny roam in her play area, and she startedpooping. Thank god. She pooped pretty good amount, thepellets are kind of hard but sticky. LIke they cecal pellets, butharder and twice as big if not more.

Right now I noticed that her ears got a little bit cooler from whatthey were about 2-3 hrs ago, she is panting slightly, but laying withher back legs stretched out. So I guess that's better thanjust sitting in the corner.

That's the update. Thank you so much for all your thoughts and input.

EDIT: Almost forgot, on her cut, Penny has some kind of stickystuff. It looks like neosporin. Its white andmucky. Is that pus????? Maybe meds from the doc, or is thatthey way that the cuts heal on the rabbit?

Glad to hear youre getting some food inher! The soft poops may be from the critical care andincreased liquids she's getting.

About the pumpkin..you can buy canned pumpkin, which is what most of ususe (an actually pumpkin would have to be cut up and mashed etc). Justmake sure when you buy the pumpkin, its "100% pure". Its usually inwith all the pumpkin pie fillings, but some are a pie filling and theothers are pure pumpkin,

My Basil will eat pumpkin off a spoon, but Max has to have it syringedin..you can mess with it to see what he will eat (add some mashedbanana or honey).

Good Luck!

Haley

Missed your Edit!:

Does it look like cottage cheese?? If yes, then its pus.

Rabbits lack anenzyme that other animals possess, which makestheir pus so much more difficult to deal with (it usually just cant bedrained bc its so thick).If theres more pus coming out, Iwould contact the vet.

Haley,

I wish I read better last time about the pumkin. I was underimpression that I had to get 100% pure, meaning real pumking.Hehe. Anyways, we got a pumpkin now.

What do you mean by 'cottage cheese'. Its notwhite. Its more clear like vasoline or petrolium jelly orlike neosporien.I think I confused when I saidwhite.

If it's clear, it probably isn't pus.Rabbit pus looks like cream cheese or white toothpaste (eww).It's probably normal lymph/white cells/healing stuff. Fey hada little thin, pale yellow discharge when she was healing from afighting wound and the vet said it was okay.

naturestee wrote:
If it's clear, it probably isn't pus. Rabbit puslooks like cream cheese or white toothpaste (eww). It'sprobably normal lymph/white cells/healing stuff. Fey had alittle thin, pale yellow discharge when she was healing from a fightingwound and the vet said it was okay.

That's what my mom said, lymph. I'm a little more calm about it now.Thanks. I just got home and totaly busted Penny munching onsome pellets. Yay! She is drinking a lot of water from thebottle. I can't wait to hear from the doctor abouther infection, I hope that original antibiotic is enough. Idont want her to suffer any longer. Btw only two doses ofpain killers today, and she is doing fine, as far as I cantell.

Thank you for all the kind words.

Penny has been muching on pellets, I've caught her plenty of times, but still yet to see her eat her hay.

She is eathing her veggies, but very little compaired to how she ateafter her previous tooth extraction. Last time she startedeating on second day.

So since she is not eatting her hay, we are still syranching critialcare. I'll talk to the vet tomorrow and see whenwill he wants to see her to discuss if other teeth needs to beextracted.

I'm also very concerned about the opposing teeth. Will theyneed to be also extraced or trimed. Or which option isbetter. This realy worries me.

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

How's Penny doing? Ive been thinking about her.

About the teeth trimming, it really depends. My vet decided to leavethe opposing tooth in, and said he didnt want to remove it unless itwas causing a lot of difficulty to trim. That was an inscisor though.

Im not sure about molars, but I would assume they would just want to trim them.

Please keep us posted...I really hope shes doing well :pray:

-Haley

Sorry, my job has caught up with me,

Two days ago (1 day shy of week after surgery), we decided to stopsyrange feeding Penny critical care. I think she took itwell, she is still pooping good and eating her timothy pellets anddrinking good. She also stopped droolingyesterday.

I think tomorrow or in 2 days, we'll stop with pain killers and see how she reacts.

She still is eating her veggies badly, few nibbles here and there, andnot very much hay. I'm trying to give her Alf alfa too, Iread that it tastes better.

My next vet appointment is on Mon or Tues (I'll have to double check).

I found out from the vet, that with two teeth removed there should beenough 'movement' in the jaw so that trimming will not be nessesery,but if two more need to be removed in the same spot then, yes we'llhave to think about it.

Thanks for listening. I'll keep you updated.

Penny is doing good. Eating pellets,carrot stripes, little bit of parsely and pooping good. Buttoday when I came home I decovered that in the middle of Pennys cut issome white stuff that looks like cottage cheeze. I have nodoubt that its the absess pus. I have an apt for tues.,hopefuly I can move it up closer. I'll shoot for sunday.

Oh no!

So, if it is more pus/abscess will he be implanting the beads? Poor little Penny.

Maybe when you're there you could ask him about the Bicillin..it mightbe worth a shot , as it would be less stressful and invasive for Penny.

Please keep us posted...two of my bunsdevelopedmouthabcesses within the last month, so Im curious to knowhow your vet proceeds.

I'll be praying for Penny :pray:

-Haley

Just had Penny at the vet,

Doc said that the pus is draining, and is not in her jawbone, but it isthere. So we are putting in two antibiotic beads, twodifferent antibiotics. He is also familiar with Binicilin, hesaid that he mostly hassuccess with it, and will start offPenny immediately after the surgery. He also noted that hehad some buns get sick from it

I'm just praying now.

So is he doing both the beads and the injection?

Poor little Penny, but at least its not in her jawbone. Hopefully, withsome more aggressive antibiotics, she can kick this nasty thing.

I'll be keeping her in my prayers as well. Basil and Max know how she feels...dang these abscesses!

Haley,

Yes both,Penny is going in for surgery soon for the beads,and after that he will give her a starting shot of binicilin.

Anyone here given shots, I wonder if it isa big shot, howmany cc? I'm not looking forward in doing that at all, but I'll do whatI have to do.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

I'll be praying for the little one...Get better little Penny!

You are a saint for taking such good care of her, I know it must becosting you a small fortune. She is a very lucky little girl.

Haley wrote:
I'll be praying for the little one...Get better little Penny!

You are a saint for taking such good care of her, I know it must becosting you a small fortune. She is a very lucky little girl.
:yeahthat

How's she doing today?

Back