Teeth problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for kind words and prayers.

I just got an 'ok' for Penny to go home. My mom is on herway. I'm stuck at work, like always. She'll bring her home,I'll see her when I get home.

Penny is back and recovering.

I have a question about Bicillin. Doc told me to give Pennyshots of Bicilin, but on her back size, where you can pull her skinback easly. But I read that ppl giving their buns shots closeto where the infection is/was. Should I talk to thedoctor or is this fine???

Thank you.

hmm..I dont have any experience with it. I wouldjust follow the vets instructions...he sounds like he really knows whathe's doing.

Keep us posted...and, as usual, I'll be keeping Penny in my thoughts and prayers.

I've heard of doing it both ways.Usually with an abscess they give the shot in or near the infectionsite, but if it's a difficult spot to inject her then they do it in adifferent area. For example, Bicillin is sometimes given forear infections and they can't inject there.

Guys I need help,

Penny hasn't been pooping very well at all in the last 3 days after hersurgery on Mon. Maybe 5-10 pellets a day!!!! She isgetting enough water from what I can tell. She nibbles onsome veggies a little. I caught her eating some timothy pellets 2 daysago. And we are feeding her critical care everyday.

She is also on cisapride, which is either some kind of simulant orenzime. I'm not sure, but the doc always used this medication to getthe blockage moving in our buns. Also Penny is on Bicilin,but the doctor said, if she gets sick from Bicillin it would be runnypoop.

I really need help, because my vet is not in till saturday. I dont want to waste a day, and it be too late.

Thank you.

I dont know too much about stasis, but she should be pooping more than she is.

Are you syringing her the food to be sure shes getting enough? It alsomight be the bicillin is upsetting her stomach or something. Is thereanother vet in the area you could call and describe the situation to?They might want to take her off the bicillin or something...or is sheon pain meds? That might have something to do with it too.

For now, I would just be sure she is eating and drinking and maybe get her some baby gas meds.

Hopefully someone with more experience can jump in, Im just guessing.

I'll be praying for little Penny :pray:

-Haley

If she's pooping normal sized poops, she's notcritical, but you may want to mix pumpkin with her Critical Care, ormaybe she'll eat some on her own. Pumpkin really helpsgenerate the poops.

You can also mix alittle Pedialyte with the Critical Care.

Did she get post-op pain medication?

And how often are you giving her the Critical Care? You can give it to her every few hours if she likes it.

Also keep trying to entice her with her favourite foods.

She's going tobe feeling a lot of discomfort betweenthesurgery and the meds. Just keep fussing overher.

We'll all be praying for poops for you!

sas and the gang

Her poops are not normal size, they aresmall. Very small. And 10 poop a day might bepushing it. Realy like 5 or 6.

She is on torbutrol for pain. On this pain med, she hasstarted eating on the 2nd day on her previous surgery.

About critical care, we try to give her at least 30-35cc in the morningand the evening each. She HATES it. We have to puther in the towel and syrange it. I feel like we aretorchering her.

Also, is pedialyte for gas?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Try to make the Critical Caretastebetter for her, with the canned pumpkin and even a little honey, orbanana, apple juice or apple sauce. .I had goodluck with carrotjuice.

Or you may be better offsoaking some of her own pellets inwater and mix that up with some pumpkin or any of the above.Or Pedialyte, which is something that babies get fordehydration. A lot of bunnies like it.

Poor little girl. :(

sas :pray:

PS: You should really try and find theNutri-Cal. It's really easy to give it to her, you just put aribbon of it on her paw and mush it down and she'll lick itoff. It's been mentioned before, but it's a high calorienutritional supplement for cats and dogs that works very well forrabbits needing to keep their strength up.

sas

Simethicone is for the gas. Pedialyteis to help keep her hydrated. Small poops can sometimes behelped by giving more fluids.

Is she moving around much? Movement can stimulate the intestines and help them to move.

I'm starting to worry,

Penny hasn't pooped in 24 hrs. She is defenetly gettingenough movement, we let her out in the morning for about1-2hrs. And for the last 3 days, I've been letting her out inthe eventing for a lot more then usual, about 2-3 hours.

Is this the correct Nutri-cal? --->http://www.nutri-cal.com/products.htm

When she is in this mood, she hates ALL of her favorite food.Doesn't eat by herself. Hates all the goodies. ButI'll keep trying to give her different stuff, but basicaly we have toforce feed.

Also on another note, she is not huddled up in the corner, which iswhat I read what happens in stasis. She lays down, and 40% ofthe time even stretches out which her back paws sprawledout. So it doesn't look that she is indiscomfort. But still no poop, since last morning.

Thank you for all ideas they are greatly appriciated.

If she hasnt pooped in 24 hours, I would get herto the vet asap. Or at least see if you can get a phone appt. If yourvet is out today, see if they can refer you to someone who can give yousome advice.

Nutrical is this:http://www.millpledge.com/preparations/nutrical.htmImpretty sure you can get it from your vet.

So is she able to get some food down if you force feed? Is she gettingenough liquid? It could be the pain from the surgery, or allthe meds shes on that are causing the upset tummy.Wish therewas more I could do to help. Poor Penny :(.

She gets all of what we syrange toher. But I haven't seen her drinkingmuch. Her pee is very mucky. Not veryliquidy at all. I think I'm going to call the other doctorsin that the same vet unit. They are prett good, just not asgood as this guy.

"It could be the pain from the surgery, or allthe meds shes on that are causing the upset tummy.Wish therewas more I could do to help. Poor Penny :(."

Haley, thats the crazy thing that confuses me. If its thepain. Her surgery 3 weeks agowas WAY more intence,where she had her jaw bone dug in, but this last surgery,just an incision. And she was eating by day 2 thetime before this.

And the only thing we are doing different is Bicillin. Couldthe Bicillin be killing all good bacterica in her stomach?

I hope that yourvet has been giving injections, because Bicillin should never begiven orally. Injections of Bicillin (or PennG) can sometimes lead to adecreased appetite, but it's usually not too serious. When given orallyit can cause significant, even fatal, digestive problems.

Shots only. We are giving her shotsonce a day for the first week. Then the doc said, once everyother day in week2. No oral. I made sure to talk tomy vet about it, he actualy told me that first.

EDIT: He stated that he gave her the initial shot. When she recieved her first dose at the vets, on monday.

Latest posts

Back