Teeth issues in a holland lop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShelbyDee

Reaction score
I need some info on what to do. I have a holland lop he is 2 years old. I have noticed that his two bottom incisors are two different sizes. So I took him to the vet. The vet has said that he might have a infection in the jaw where she felt two small bumps, and that he hasn't been grinding his teeth properly. I am wondering if this could be genetic? I do know that one of his litter brother's was born with a split penis. We do have two other rabbits and they have not shown any signs of teeth problems and we feed them the same as our holland lop. The vet wants to do put him under and grind his teeth and maybe take a couple of his teeth out. I'm a little bit concerned about that. So if there is any thing that you know that might help us appreciated.

Thank you

Shelby

I don't know much about treating teeth issues, but I believe bad teeth are often genetic (poor breeding etc, though probably wholly unrelated to the split penis issue), sometimes they're caused by injury or even poor diet.

She probably recommended the teeth being removed since otherwise you will need to bring your bunny in for continued grinding down of the teeth to keep them in line.

It is the incisor that she might take out and then one or two molars.

Usually if it is just overgrown teeth, they can just be burred down when needed, but sometimes if the procedure is occurring too frequently, because of the risk of a GA and/or the stress to the rabbit, tooth removal may be a consideration. Also if there is infection or decay, removal may be necessary as well. Even after removal there may be a chance of tooth regrowth, in which case the procedure may need to be done again. With the possibility of tooth removal, you will want to ensure you have a very experienced rabbit vet performing the procedure.

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-6/tusks.html
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Stella/Stella.htm

Latest posts

Back