Tallulah Maesie, the angel bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alicia, I noticed that too! What a sad coincidence. She died on my cousin's birthday, friend's birthday and Paul's brother's birthday, funny how a day that was happy for years will now always be a sad one for me.

Jenk, the dream thing is so odd. I remember her being with me very well, and I miss her and love her desperately, so it's like she was a very real dream. Or something. I have a hard time imagining that she really did run around our living room, hop up on my lap and pester Rory. It's like she's achieved worship status in my head so I don't think of her doing normal things. Hard to describe, but you seem to know what I mean!

Because I have so many photos of her I love and don't want to turn the apartment into a Tallulah shrine, I bought a nice picture frame. Instead of having a regular frame on it, it's clear glass about 3 inches wide and you're supposed to put a collage of photos in it. The collage surrounds one single photo in the center. I may not be describing it well, but I like the idea. The photo in the center will have to be the one of her lying on her back in my lap, the one in my avatar. I love that picture!

Also, THANK YOU Jen and Alicia for reading Lulu's thread :)

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Alicia, I noticed that too! What a sad coincidence. She died on my cousin's birthday, friend's birthday and Paul's brother's birthday, funny how a day that was happy for years will now always be a sad one for me.
*hugs* I know I try to find joy on that day. Being with the other buns helps. Still hurts but helps. I am here. Ok?
Because I have so many photos of her I love and don't want to turn the apartment into a Tallulah shrine, I bought a nice picture frame. Instead of having a regular frame on it, it's clear glass about 3 inches wide and you're supposed to put a collage of photos in it. The collage surrounds one single photo in the center. I may not be describing it well, but I like the idea. The photo in the center will have to be the one of her lying on her back in my lap, the one in my avatar. I love that picture!
I love that idea. I have the one shelf dedicated to her and Mace. An one other picture hanging from the thingy I have.
Also, THANK YOU Jen and Alicia for reading Lulu's thread :)
She was a princess to us all.

Y'know, I can hardly believe it's been 6 months in some ways, yet in others it seems so long ago, so I can understand what you mean by the dream thing.

I think that photo frame sounds lovely. The hard part will be deciding which of her beautiful pictures to put in it.

Jan

It's Beautiful. Christmas is coming can you ask someone to buy it for you or if you get money you could put it towards the necklace.

Susan:)

Soooska, I think the necklace is lovely, but $500 just seems like too much for something like that. I can think of other ways to use that much money (paying for college for example!). If it were even $150 I'd consider it. However, I really like the design and am considering using it or a variant for my Tallulah tattoo instead of her on the moon.

I found this necklace too:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TR35J2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I think it's nice and much more affordable. I love the look of the two blue stones together. They have a pink one and a purple one, and I've always thought of pink as Tallulah's color, but I just like the blue one better. Do other people's bunnies have colors? Cinnabun was always blue, Tallulah baby pink, Rory is green, Skyler is yellow and Phoebe Mae is lavender. I think I'm starting to run out of colors!

Last edited by a moderator:
One year ago today (pretty much down to the hour actually), I met my little Tallulah at her breeder's house. The breeder had just brought Lula in from outside and had her in a teensy little cage in their spare room. I was amazed by how little and adorable Tallulah was, way cuter than she looked in her picture on Craigslist! Lu was afraid of me and didn't want to be held. I was concerned because her eyes were a little red rimmed and her nose was running some. The breeder said she was fine and I merrily took Tallulah home to my mom's house (where I was staying). I figured I'd be taking her to the vet the next day anyway for her pre-flight health certificate, so we'd see what the vet said.

In the mean time, I posted pictures of her here on RO and voiced my concerns about the runny nose (which came and went) and the reddish eyes, and her occasional mushy poop. I was of course hoping to be reassured that she'd be fine and I should just see what the vet said, but the general consensus was that I should just return her to the breeder and try to find a different bunny somewhere else. I sadly agreed that I'd return her and made plans with her breeder to drop her back off the next day. I put Tallulah in my bedroom and closed the door so I didn't have to see her or get attached to her.

The next morning, I checked on the then nameless Tallulah, hoping she would look healthy. She did look better and her poops were normal. I decided to let her out to run around and see what she did. Downstairs we went, and I set her down. That little bunny ran and binkied like nothing else! She looked so healthy. I decided to take her to the vet anyway and she what the vet thought, so off we went... I tried not to get attached to her. The vet (a very good vet who I took Cinnabun and my cockatiels to for years) declared her to be healthy! She said it's normal for Holland Lop babies to have kind of weird poop at first, and the runny nose and eyes were probably due to her going from living outside to living inside where the air was much drier. She happily filled out Lu's health certificate and we went home.

I was so excited. My baby was mine after all and would be okay. We named her Tallulah, I let Paul pick between Annabelle and Tallulah and he liked Tallulah because it means "princess" (Rory's name means "little king"). I posted the happy news here on the forum, and most people were glad and seemed to believe the vet, but one person PM'ed me and disagreed with the vet. They were upset and said several things that upset me terribly, about me not caring about shelter rabbits and that I was killing bunnies by getting Tallulah from a breeder. That I should return Tallulah immediately. I cried so much over the next few days... Whenever I looked at Lu, I cried. But I couldn't return her to the breeder, I'd promised Tallulah to love her forever and I'd fallen for her already. It took me a long time to get over my feelings of guilt and I still tear up thinking about it.

Tallulah and I flew home. Her health problems continued. She spent a lot of time at the vet, but was such a sweet little girl. She quickly got over her fear of me and clearly loved me. It would have been so much easier if I'd just brought her back to the breeder, but someone else would have taken her I'm sure and who knows how Tallulah would have been cared for in her short life... She probably would have died a lot sooner. I would have missed out on her sweet life, and I would have missed out on loving my darling Phoebe Mae, who I never would have got if not for Tallulah.

My poor little girl. I'm sorry you had such a hard life and had to be sick. I miss you so much.

Picture I saw of her on Craigslist:

thingsforsale005.jpg

These are the pictures I took that first night showing her eyes and nose... Looking at them always makes me feel bad:

bunny1.jpg

bunny2.jpg

I am so pleased you didn't return Tallulah. I agree, if she got sick with someone else, I doubt if she would've received the love and care she got with you. Plus, we wouldn't have got to know her either :).

Such a precious little thing :(

Jan

LuvaBun wrote:
I am so pleased you didn't return Tallulah. I agree, if she got sick with someone else, I doubt if she would've received the love and care she got with you. Plus, we wouldn't have got to know her either :).
I feel exactly the same way. :) She was (and still is) a blessing in disguise. :pink iris:

Thank you, Luvabun and Jenk! This might sound odd, but I found a doll that makes me think of Tallulah. She's a My Child doll from the '80s and has red hair up in curly little pigtails and big brown eyes. She looks like what Tallulah would look like if she were a dolly! I saw her on eBay and had to get her, I plan to put her next to Tallulah's ashes. Now I'll have something I can hug when I think about Miss Mae. I'll post pictures of the doll when she gets here, I'm rather excited. It's funny because no stuffed bunnies really made me think of Lulu, I guess because none of them ever look like her, but a doll did.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
This might sound odd, but I found a doll that makes me think of Tallulah....She looks like what Tallulah would look like if she were a dolly!...I plan to put her next to Tallulah's ashes. Now I'll have something I can hug when I think about Miss Mae....It's funny because no stuffed bunnies really made me think of Lulu, I guess because none of them ever look like her, but a doll did.
I don't think it's odd at all. In fact, Ifind it rather sweet and comforting.

If I can imagine my Emma speaking with a German accent (and all of my bunners calling me "mama"), there's no reason why a red-haired, brown-eyed doll can't remind you of Tallulah. :hug: I can't wait for the photo(s).

Jenk, here's one of the pictures of the Tallulah doll from her auction:

Tallulahdoll.jpg

With the big brown eyes and red hair, I couldn't help but be reminded of Tallulah's big brown eyes and "red" ears! I'd always wanted to put bows on Tallulah's ears so they looked like pigtails. Emma speaks with a German accent, I imagined Tallulah as talking with a sweet little girl's voice :)

SnowyShiloh wrote:
With the big brown eyes and red hair, I couldn't help but be reminded of Tallulah's big brown eyes and "red" ears! I'd always wanted to put bows on Tallulah's ears so they looked like pigtails.
What a sweet-looking doll. I really like it and can see how/why it reminds you of Tallulah. :D
Emma speaks with a German accent, I imagined Tallulah as talking with a sweet little girl's voice :)
Remember the character of Frau Farbissina from the Austin Powers trilogy? (See http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0827565/.) I imagine that Emma's bossy that way, although not as loud/shrill.

:biggrin2:

I feel kind of bad posting in light of Rosie's loss- I can't imagine losing 4 bunnies at once. That would be like Tallulah PLUS my three current babies. Unfathomable.

If you can believe it, I've now had Phoebe Mae for 3 weeks longer than I did Tallulah. I know I can't believe it. The time with Phoebe has flown by... It felt like Lula was here for years in comparison. I miss my little girl and think of her all the time. I have a lot of pictures of her, but I can't even imagine her sitting on the couch with me anymore. I think it's because it's because it's an impossible dream.

My little Phoebsie is so sweet. I haven't gotten her spayed yet because of my irrational fear of her dying during or after surgery. The vet spays after 6 months and Phoebe Mae is perfectly healthy (thank God, she's only been to the vet once and that was for her health certificate so she could fly!) so that's the only thing stopping me. It does NOT help that a month or so ago I ran into a vet tech who used to work for our vet. She actually remembered me and asked how Tallulah was- I told her that she died in May. We talked for a little and I mentioned that I was nervous about getting Phoebe Mae spayed... The former vet tech said "Yeah I can't blame you, it seems like rabbits look for excuses to die!" Eep! Not to worry, Phoebe will be spayed sooner rather than later, but she's not really in danger of cancer yet and her personality is sweet as ever so I'm in no rush. I'm setting a tentative date for the beginning of May, when the weather is warmer (so no taking a just operated on bunny out into the cold), my final exams are over but summer classes haven't started, and I can take a day or two off work to stay home and take care of her.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
If you can believe it, I've now had Phoebe Mae for 3 weeks longer than I did Tallulah.
Wow, I would never have guessed that! It does seem that Tallulah was around for much longer.

I can understand about your concerns about spaying, and I think the vet tech's comment was totally unnecessary. But I'm sure when you have her done, she will come through with flying colours :)

Jan

Jan, I've had Skyler for 10 1/2 months and it still feels like I had Lula longer than him. She really packed a lot of love into her short time here...

Every month I clean out the refrigerator. Today, I did it again, and took out the bottle of medication Tallulah was prescribed the day she died and never had the chance to take. Then I put it back in the fridge, just like I have every other time. It's been almost a year and a half and I still haven't let go! It's much easier than it was a year ago, and I've been able to think of her in happy terms, but I still think about her every day. Cinnabun died 7 years ago and I still think about him a little every day too. Miss you, babies!

Oh Shiloh, I am exactly the same - I still have Pernod's medicine, half finished, in the fridge. I can't believe we both do that, especially as they passed so closely together.

Larry, time does pass by, but I guess they have made their imprint in our hearts permanently!

Jan

Latest posts

Back