taking rabbit to a vet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaS

Reaction score
How do you take your rabbits to the vet? Do you put them in a box or little cage? Are they scared?
How can I make the experience less traumatic?

I put my bunnies in a pet taxi (like the onesthey use for cats). Putting a blanket over the cage so theycan't see what's going on might be a good idea if they'renervous.

Hi AnnaS,

I use a travel cage for my little ones, Anna. To make theride less traumatic, I put in one of their favorite stuffed toys forthe scent of home, keep the radio off or on a classical station to helpsoothe them, and talk to them alot.

The don't like going, but they're happy as a lark when they get home.

What's wrong with your baby?

-Carolyn

Is it bad to just put him in a box with the holes to breath?
This way he can't see anything anyway.

There is nothing wrong with him, but I want toknow if I need to neuter him. He is 1.5 years old and I am even sure ifhe is neutered. Also maybe they will cut his nails.

Make sure it's got good airventilation. You also have to be careful he doesn't chewthrough it if it's a cardboard box.

-Carolyn

They're not terribly expensive, $20 US in petstores around here...I wouldn't use a box, as he could overheat veryquickly. Not to mention how fast he will be breathing, you'd want areally good airflow.

A check up might not be a bad idea, and if he is not neutered, I wouldhighly recommend it. Un-fixed males spray and do all sorts of lovelythings ;)

He does not spray anything, but he does not come out of the cage yet. Maybe he is neutered.

Thanks, I'll look for a cage.

I agree wholeheartedly with m.e.'s thoughts about the box. I'd be very concerned about the airflow.

You might even check around with breeders or a shelterin yourarea. You might get some suggestions on where toget a cage. They aren't terribly expensive as m.e. said.

-Carolyn

I used to use a pettaxi, and have been considering getting another one. Elf is so mellow,she usually travels in a plastic laundry basket. Her old cage is small,as well, so we use it as a travel cage when we visit my parents'house.

Also how can I find a good vet for a rabbit? Do I just call them and ask if they specialize in rabbits?

thanks for the links. I found a vet clinic thatspecializes in bunnies. They charge 68 canadian dollaros for a checkup, is it a lot?

It doesn't seem like a whole lot, but I guess itdepends on what a bunny check-up includes. Personally, we were going toour current vet because they were so good with the dog, but know thatit is just the bunnies, we're switching vets. I don't know what acheck-up would cover, my bunnies never got a thorough one :)

They told me they cut his nails,check temperature, just regular check up. Also I'll find out if he is neutered or not.

That's good, especially the nails. They can be hard to do one your own, so help is always nice.

Another question: I am going to borrow a cagefrom my friend, who has a cat. I'll wash the cages, but will ittraumatize the bunny even more that he can smell the cat?

It shouldn't, he probably will not even associate the smell with a cat.

Latest posts

Back