taking bunny outside

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatrixpoppy

Reaction score
was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on taking their bunnies out and about. I knew someone who used to walk her bunny. Is it necessary? Is it dangerous for bunny (except from the obvious dangers of predators, toxins etc)

I plan to get Poppy spayed as soon as shes able and keep on top of her vaccines but wouldnt want to compromise her health otherwise.
What's everyone's thoughts?

I would love to hear people's input on this. I do worry about a rabbits tendency to get spooked so much that it can br harmful to them, but then I wonder if it's introduced gently and regularly if they'd get used to it like anything else......?
I do hold Agnes outside in my neighborhood. She is very content in my arms. I will often sit outside with her while my husband and son play in the yard. I often wonder if she could handle more.
This last Saturday I saw a woman at our local farmers market walking her cat. And our farmers market is crowded! Shoulder to shoulder people, dogs, can hardly push a stroller. But her cat was doing just fine. My point? Obviously used to it! I wonder what buns could accomplish :)

I wouldn't do it with my rabbit because he gets easily spooked sometimes; but I have a friend who would bring her rabbit on a harness to soccer games and it was perfectly fine. People would crowd around and be like "a bunny on a leash, awwww!" and the rabbit could care less. I think it depends on the rabbit; some are really laid back and others get spooked easily.

IF I take mine out, it's only in the confines of our yard. I don't take them out elsewhere. I certainly don't think it's 'necessary.'

Some rabbits do just fine in unfamiliar places. Others will bolt and may hurt themselves if on a harness. I once saw a family bring their rabbit to a small playground surrounded by woods. They had their bun on a leash and actually took the leash off and let bunny roam free! He came back when called. I was stunned!

My guys LOVE to be outside! I put them in an x-pen and cover it with a large blanket. They love to dig in the grass eat the grass do binkies all over! I try and get them out as much as possible. I think its a good stimulation for them. Well for my guys atleast. They dont scare easy.. One loves it so much she acutally is outside 24/7 in a hutch. She was not a happy camper inside! She has plenty of hiding spots though if she does get scared!

I let my bunnies outside (almost) every day in large pens. They absolutely love it and get restless when they don't get to play outside. They all eat the grass, some love digging giant holes and tunnels and others like to lounge around. I think they enjoy the fresh air, cool breezes, and natural sunlight. It definitely depends on your situation though because I know in some places it just isn't safe.

thanks everyone you've certainly brought up a few of my concerns like Poppy getting spooked by it, predators and making sure she's safe - that's my biggest priority.

I think the reason I'm considering trying it is because we don't have a garden for her to run in so it's a way of her getting out and about. But in saying that I can't ever be certain if grass is treated with toxins that could harm her etc.

Thank you to everyone for your input though it's interesting hearing all the stories about bunnies going outside.

beatrixpoppy wrote:
Is it necessary?
It is to my bunnies, they demand their leashless walks twice a day.

BunBun was up to over a mile a day. Since Booger showed up a bit over two weeks ago they do about 3/4 mile together.

beatrixpoppy wrote:
Is it dangerous for bunny (except from the obvious dangers of predators, toxins etc)

Nope, not with proper training, with the exception that I keep an eye out with regards to the hawks and owls, Booger is only 3 1/2 pounds. They know about dogs, catsand cars. The lawns that are sprayed do not appeal to them, they hop right past them. They stay on the sidewalk and don't go onto the street, they know what skeedadle means when they get too close to the street. They know how to get home when a yapping dog gets on their nerves.

beatrixpoppy wrote:
I plan to get Poppy spayed as soon as shes able and keep on top of her vaccines but wouldnt want to compromise her health otherwise.

Their mental health counts too, the boys WANT to walk. Plus they generate a lot of pro-bunny awareness and good will. The boys are literally car stoppers (once people realise that they are NOT seeing dogs)as they hop down the sidewalk with me. I've had people come up to me at Publix and yesterday a woman stopped and chatted for about 15 minutes as she couldn't get over the guys booking around thecorner following me. She was even more surprised when the boys came over on their own and flopped by my feet while we were chatting.

BunBun's video titled 'BunBun Goes For A Walk' on Youtube shows the walk that we were on when he got through to me that he wanted longer walks. More vids and pics on his Facebook page.

On Facebook and Youtube his user name is BunBunRwa.

Video should be here: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKQGeQfPE0Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKQGeQfPE0Q[/ame]

I would think that could work if your bun isnt easily scared.

Right now in summer i dont even take mine out. I have a rabbit run that my husband built for them that is shaded because of the shadow from our house... but its hot and humid out there and I feel horrible about it. Summer time in my house means more free time to roam indoors. When the winter comes they LOVE IT!

There is nothing wrong with setting up a couple x-pens and letting the buns run around :) Jabber especially loves going outside.

428556_3839419220462_1378111468_n.jpg

I do take my buns out for walks on their harnesses as well and they do extremely well, you just have to have your head on a swivel. I haven't ever come across anything but if you have a lot of dog in your area, you may want to reconsider.

281357_2179004751138_5096474_n.jpg

However, I know I would NEVER go outside without at least a harness and leash... What if a dog ran out, frightened the rabbit into the street and it got hit? What if the dog itself got it? Too many what ifs...

I call this longing to go outside. She watches us (me and the dog). The neighbor's dogs and kids will come up to her too. She will also go outside with the puppy fencing and also on her harness and lead. She walks really well and has a fantastic time chasing the dog.

undefined

13413_151657_100000000.jpg

BunMommaD wrote:
Wow! Bun buns human! That is amazing!
I used to think so, but now that I have Booger, not so much. It just shows what rabbits are capable of.

Now I'm thinking that is just how rabbits are. BunBun trained me to take him for walks, it was not my idea.

I've only had Booger for a bit over two weeks and for the first four days he refused to go outside. He would follow BunBun to the door and stop at the stoop. He was a caged house rabbit whose owner tossed him into the yard after about a year and slammed the door in his face. He went across the street and took up by a porch for a few days before he was caught and I got him.

Once he started following BunBun into the yard, he then took the lead for going on walks. Again, it was not my idea.

If I am not quick about letting him out in the morning, he will jump up on my lap to let me know that I am slacking off and that there are plants that need eating and dirt that needs digging outside.

No, your bunny does not look stupid, but it does look like a prey animal. What are you going to do if some stray dog or cat bolts out to grab your bunnies? I even heard dogs barking during your video, and it was a big dog, you can tell by the bark. So what would you do?

Not to mention on your other video, you say

Being a Rabbit With Attitude, BunBun does not always come when called. His compliance rate is exceedingly high though, very much higher than the neighborhood dogs, and has earned him access to the front yard in addition to the back yard.

Obviously, there is a reason to be afraid of dogs in the neighbourhood if they don't listen.

You claim he listens, but I saw in that video a few times you saying "Bun Bun, come." and the rabbit not even acknowledging. So if something were coming to grab him, what would you do?

What if someone in your neighborhood uses pesticides on their grass? If even does something intentionally to poison your rabbit? I don't care where you live, there will always be "that one person" who's a grump and doesn't want a rabbit in their lawn. It's not just eating the grass you need to worry about, but getting it on their paws and then licking them.

Not to mention, at 15:12, that is perfect evidence for my argument against the fear of cars. That was a fear response, the jolting and pushing himself to the ground. He came extremely close to bolting there.

Not to mention at 18:07, when he runs across the street without you. There could have easily been a car. And he does it TWICE. Just because something hasn't happened, doesn't mean it won't. And you say he goes right to sidewalks when he's crossing the street because he's smart like that, but what about at 20:38? Where he walks around in the gutter?

And I haven't even mention the fact that that is NOT the way to carry a rabbit, even scruffed. There was zero support.

I realize you are going to do what you like anyways and insist on these "walks", but maybe try to be more careful... Don't walk so far away from him.

i have a harness and lead for my rabbit but i only take him out in the garden there is a massive risk with taking your bunny out imagaine if you came across a dog that does not like rabbits at all and goes for your bunny and you have no idea how the public would react (they could kick or hit your bunny either on purpose or by accident) and no matter how well you no your bunny you can never be sure what it might do it could bolt into the road for instance it is deffinately necessary to walk your rabbit or put it out in a pen but not in public!!!!

EPICBUNNY99x wrote:
they could kick or hit your bunny either on purpose
Well, if someone wants to try suicide by bunny that would be their call to make. BunBun does not like the smell of blood so he would hope for a more reasonable decision, but he is prepared for all eventualities, that is what his human is for.

17206_202007_250000000.jpg

BunBuns Human, I personally think those replies were rude and immature. The way you flip off people and insult them over very serious and genuine concerns is disheartening. Whilst I do agree that we often fail to give rabbits enough credit, I think it is simple delusional to think that they are able to fend for themselves to THAT extent. Your rabbit isn't trained. Your rabbit barely acknowledges you, he's just doing what he wants, when he wants. I didn't even let my puppy off his leash until we had mastered basic commands and I don't have to repeat myself a million times for him to look at me either. Post a video where he walks only on the sidewalk, stops and looks at you every time you speak, obeys your commands, and walks WITH you rather than away from you, and maybe then I'll be impressed.

Beatrixpoppy,

When I lived in Montreal, I didn't have access to a yard but the landowners had a bit of grass in front. They allowed me to take the bunnies in it and said they wouldn't use any chemicals on the lawn. I did this with leashes and harnesses. I did take some of my bunnies on walks as well. Again, on a leash and harness and we'd walk up and down the street and eventually to the park. (Most parks with children's playgrounds won't use chemicals) Before this though, I got the bunny used to being in a harness and leash indoors, so that the bunny wouldn't freak out with it on. I also made a ' sweater' with a fleece sock to keep the harness nice and snug because sometimes, in a moment of panic, they can roll and get out of a harness (I was using kitten ones for medium/large rabbits) so the fleece prevented that from happening. The only thing I did was make sure nails were trimmed so they wouldn't catch in the sweater.

Now, in the Netherlands, however, I do not take the bunnies anywhere. I simply don't trust it since there are way too many dogs here. Most of them are off leash as well. We took them by the lake once, but I spent the whole time looking out for dogs and then we agreed that it wasn't smart. Our bunnies play in the yard now. Whilst I do think they are safe from predators and leave them out at will (fully fenced in and on pave so they cannot dig out) they have several hiding spots to run into to keep away from predators and I am always nearby. My girls are big imposing buns full of attitude so it works with them. However, my Crumble is yet just a baby, and is far too much of a softie for me to trust on his own. I let him out in a playpen under supervision only and even then, he has figured how to escape his playpen so I will have to find a different solution.

Personally, I don't think it's 'necessary' but of course it's quite lovely for them. You'd have to see what the risks are involved in your area. Are you able to bring a playpen along? If so, that could be fun. I would get those camping picks to anchor the playpen down into the grass (since Crumble grabs the bottom with his teeth, flings it in the air, and crawls under) and something to pin to the top so she couldn't jump out from there. If that's too hard, you could still do the harness/leash outings but I would train her on it gradually and make sure to find a rather safe spot.

It could be a good idea to just walk around with her in a carrier as well to get her used to the sounds so it's less stressful for her, especially if she's a jumpy rabbit. Most of mine didn't care much or would freeze on the spot but luckily they didn't have the 'bolt' reaction. I did have one bunny that bolted once but luckily nothing came of it since the harness was on and I caught her quickly so she didn't tangle in the leash.

I think judging the rabbit's reactions will tell you a lot. Some love it and do really well, while others totally hate it and are too scared to even enjoy it. For those that are too scared, I don't push it.

If you feel taking her outside is too much, maybe considering bringing the outdoors to her would work better for you. Perhaps a kiddie pool filled with digging material and growing herbs indoors that she could eat from directly could be fun.

:)

Latest posts

Back