Taking a bun home from the breeder

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erica Pewtress

Reaction score
Hi Bun Fam!

The day is arriving for my husband and I to go pick up our light grey Flemish Giant Buck!

We want to know when getting him if there’s anything else we should bring besides a carrier to put him in for the drive that will make him more comfortable/happier. It’s an hour drive from the breeder to our home.

I was thinking maybe a hand towel on the bottom of the carrier? If I should have anything else let me know! I want him to be happy!

Yay! I'm so happy for you guys!
A towel is a great idea, just in case he has any accidents or really needs to go, and it makes it more comfortable for him. A small handful of Timothy hay wouldn't hurt either, it'd give him something to munch on and calm his nerves a bit. If it were a longer drive, I would recommend a water bottle, but if its only an hour drive for him, I think he'll be fine. He probably wouldn't drink from it anyways.

When I bring home my new buns, (their hutches set up before they arrive) I like to provide plenty of hay and water for them (this should always be provided, new bun or not) as well as the food the breeder has been feeding him. My buns are on diets, (my Velveteens LOVE to eat, and would be rolly pollies if I let them) but for the new ones, I like to free feed pellets for a couple days to encourage eating. I do also give a small piece of fruit to them, (normally a small slice of banana) and it seems to help them settle in. Let your new little guy be for the first few days, try not to pick him up. I usually will pet my bun and play with them if they don't seem stressed and are curious, but I usually don't handle them until about our days, depending on how well they settle in.
This is exciting! Any names you guys have for him? I'd love to see some photos once he arrives!

I happen to have a page on my website that specifically discusses what to do the day one brings a rabbit home. It explains what to have prepared at home, how to handle the transport, and first steps the moment you arrive home.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bringing-your-rabbit-home.html

I'm afraid I would disagree with the idea of offering any fruit to a rabbit in the first week. For one, it may very well be a new food for them which is not advised when they are already stressed from the move. No new foods of any kind should be offered in the first several days. And secondly, a rabbit in stress is always at risk for GI stasis. Offering additional sugar (which is in the fruit) can exacerbate that risk.

Will look forward to seeing your new Flemish!

Back