Tail of a Fuzzy Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I downloaded one for my smart phone (free!). I see them near the checkout at the pet store all the time.

I haven't actually got a clicker. I've been using a pen or just making a "click-click" noise with my tongue. Just so long as you make some kindaclick when they're doing what you want them to do.

So this evening, I've been decorating Gus's jump. I bought some self-adhesive shelf-liner from the dollar store and wrapped the Sonotube in that. I think it looks really good! I'm going to paint thewooden rails (and the wooden standards once I get them built), but the shelf-linerjust seemed easier to apply to the Sonotube.

I'll post some pics when I get it done.

Rue

Hi Rue, I read your blog too :).
Gus reminds me so much of White Chocolate. I think she would have enjoyed clicker training and agility too.
English Spots are supposed to be very energetic and smart :).

I read your blog too!

You did a great job with the jump. Is their certain age to train rabbits with the clicker? Do they have to be young?

Thanks, guys!

Hilde, I sometimes think I've got a border collie and NOT a rabbit. :p

Helen, I think you can clicker train rabbits at any age. The clickerbunny people were training rescues, so I'm guessing they weren't always young rabbits.

I do think some rabbits are better learners, but I think all rabbits are trainable. If they can learn to come running when their food goes into their dish or to use a litter box, then they're totally trainable. ;)

Rue

If you started a club Rue, I would join! I'm always jealous of the Calgary rabbit hopping club, they look like they have so much fun.

Biggest problem for me is that my best prospect out of my buns is blind in one eye and doesn't hear so well (although that may be selective hearing...), so not sure how well he would do. He might run in to all the obsticles instead of jumping, lol!

Sugar would be good too, but she stresses easily, so I would have to try but be careful about traveling with her.

-Dawn

I do think some rabbits are better learners, but I think all rabbits are trainable. If they can learn to come running when their food goes into their dish or to use a litter box, then they're totally trainable.

Rue, this is so true. I have found they can also be the trainer. I have a little rabbit that trained me to give her bunny nose rubs every night, just before I go to bed.She even managed to train me to do this without a clicker or treats! :D She is now working on training me to provide nose rubs first thing every morning - but that's a little harder, as I am NOT a morning person!

Thanks for the link to the clicker site. I am going to start studying this. If I get the hang of it, I will definitely use your instructions for making a jump.

Well, I normally go out to Calgary/Red-Deer once or twice a year to visit Ryan's family (brother in Calgary, Dad in Red-Deer). Next time I go, I'll have to see if I can visit the Rabbit Hopping Club and see how everything is done.

Then we could start the Vancouver chapter!

-Dawn

So here's the tube jump (I'm calling it a barrel jump because I think it looks like thestandards are made from barrels) all finished and decorated:

24920_10150173686860506_779545505_11951275_995857_n.jpg

I cut out cardboard, covered it with shelf-liner and taped it into place to form the tops of the barrels. Oh, and I switched out the white cups for black. (I wanted the white cups for the wooden jump.)

And here's the wooden jump:
24920_10150173686830506_779545505_11951272_7375620_n.jpg

Sorry, no picture tutorial for this one. I've got the materials to build a second jump, so maybe I'll do a tutorial as I build it. I'll see if I have the time, as these ones take a LOT more time to construct than the cardboard tube jumps. :p

For now I'll just give the list of materials (and what it cost me):

1 2X3 $1.65
2 4' 5/8" dowels $3 each
8 film canisters FREE!
8 2 1/2" wood screws $1.25
8 1/2" wood screws $1.00
2quarts mistintedpaint $3 each
1 roll electrical tape $1.25

TOTAL: $17.15

Oh, and the tools:

Tape measure
Saw
Square (I highly recommend as I don't have one and my jump is wobbly because of it... :rollseyes )
Level
Pencil
Drill and drill bits
Sandpaper
Paint brush

I've got the supplies to build a teeter totter and a hoop jump. Hoping to get them put together over the weekend.

Now hopefully the nice sunny weather continues so we can go practice someagility in the backyard! :)

Rue

That's what I thought too! But when I went into my local photo shop, the girl said they still get "tons" and she seemed almost ecstatic that I'd take them!:)

However, if you can't find film canisters, you can use two nails on each side to hold up the rails. Another option, is to build jumps with square rails (like they do in England) and then attach little squares of wood to the uprights for the square rails to rest on.

Finding film canisters was actually easier. ;)

Rue

Latest posts

Back