Swine Flu Vaccine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you got/will you get the swine flu vaccine?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

irishbunny

Reaction score
Well we have been offered the swine flu vaccine in school and I'm not sure whether to get it or not :?

We got a consent form to bring home, but since I'm 16 I can choose whether I want it or not, not my parents.

My main concern is getting sick after it, if I'm going to get sick, I don't think I want it because the chances of me ever getting swine flu is much, much lower then me getting sick from the vaccine.

I also have no health problem so I should be well able to fight off the swine flu if I was to get it.

So...

Do you think it's worth getting?
If you did/are getting it, why did you?
If you didn't/aren't going to get it, why?

Do you think it's worth getting?
Do you have a underlying medical issue? If you do please get it.

If you did/are getting it, why did you?
I got it, I have 3 diffrent serious medical issue.

here is my opinion and the reason why we didnt get it, please let me state that this is "my" "opinion" and the reasons why "i" decided for "my" family to get it or not to get it.

we did NOT get the shot, my kids WONT get it, i WONT get it,and the hubby WONT get it. From everything i have read there is no way i would get it , my family and kids have no underlying medical conditions, if they had other medical conditions i have no idea if i would get the shot or not. We also dont get the regular flu shot either. Firt i looked at what was in these shot, as well as the other shots that are given, and the things that are put into these shots as preservatives is INSANE!!!!! i dont want these thing injected into my kids or myself.

My other reason why is that the flu, for the most part, is no big deal!!!!!!!! most people, who are healthy, survive it without big complications. The swine flu , from what i have read, is no worse then the regular flu. I have read where alot of the cases that they were saying was the swine flu was actually the Rhinovirus, i think this swine flu stuff is all hyped up. A natural immunity is so much better. I am 34 and have had the flu, and although it sucks, i am still here no worse off then had i never had it.

The only way i would get a shot of anykind, would be if there was 100% guaruntee that it would work for the disease that it is trying to keep away. They give you the swine flu and reg flu and there is a 50-50 chance that you will not get the flu, unless it is 100% i am not injecting that crap into my system, or into the growing system of my children.

Again this is my opinion, as i say dont get the shots, there are others that say get it , so you need to research and figure out what is best for YOU. Good luck

I did NOT get the shot and I have many health problems. I personally dont' think the risks of getting the shot(side effects, the crap they put in the shot)out weight the risks of getting the flu.

My mom decided to get both the regular flu shot and the H1N1 flu shot this year. She is a grade 1 teacher and her school has been hit hard by the flu and didn't want to get sick and bring home anything. For her the risk was worth it.

You just have to see if its worth it to you. Your healthy and not in an age bracket that is "at risk". From the sound of your post you have already made up your mind.

Young adults and teens are pretty badly affected by the swine flu--that's why I got it. People I know have been sick and had to stay home for days. I know someone whose son stopped breathing and turned blue because of it (also a young adult). I have gotten the vaccine--got it while I already was struggling with a sinus infection--and did not get sick. My boyfriend has type 1 diabetes so he got it (complications with blood sugar etc) and he didn't get sick either. I would do it. The things they add to the vaccine have all been tested and proven to be safe in people.

tonyshuman wrote:
The things they add to the vaccine have all been tested and proven to be safe in people.
I think that can be debatable , if they were so safe no one would have reactions to any shots given and there are numerous reported cases of reactions from mild reactions, to severe reactions, to death.

Mums part of the swine flu team thingey over here, the vacc isn't available here yet but they have all the info etc on it....None of the people in the team are getting it....Thats Dr's, professors and the head of the hospital. They say it was pushed through far to quickly and the trials weren't as thorough as theythought they should be, it obviously meets all the requirements needed for a vacc but theyview some boxes to be overticked and underticked IYKWIM lol.I'm not going to get it (is it obv haha) and to minimise swine flui'm just sticking with the washing hands, coughing into elbow etc.

My daughter is recovering from H1N1 after getting very ill. As already stated, young adults and children are more susceptible. People with type O blood (like my daughter) are more likely to get seriously ill. I know a few people who were hospitalized from H1N1. If it were available in our area, we would all get the shot. There have been more deaths from H1N1 than reactions from the vaccine reported.

Pam

PepnFluff wrote:
Mums part of the swine flu team thingey over here, the vacc isn't available here yet but they have all the info etc on it....None of the people in the team are getting it....Thats Dr's, professors and the head of the hospital. They say it was pushed through far to quickly and the trials weren't as thorough as theythought they should be, it obviously meets all the requirements needed for a vacc but theyview some boxes to be overticked and underticked IYKWIM lol.I'm not going to get it (is it obv haha) and to minimise swine flui'm just sticking with the washing hands, coughing into elbow etc.
I said it was to fast getting made but I was pressured into getting it.

The purpose of a vaccine is to cause a reaction that is mild--that's how your body knows that the thing that was injected is bad for you and you need to make antibodies against it. A mild, localized reaction is absolutely normal and good. If you get a little bit sick, that's within normal as well. Again, the point of vaccination is to expose your body to molecules from the virus and pair that with an irritation that activates the immune system. Activation of the immune system in response to an irritation is what causes the body to make antibodies for the virus. A mild effect is expected, and it's the price you pay to not get very sick from a full infection of the virus. It usually lasts 48hrs at the most and doesn't incapacitate you enough to cause you to miss work, etc.

Life-threatening reactions are usually associated with immunocompromised individuals, who need special care and assessment before being given a vaccine. For these people, the immune response to the irritants in the vaccine isn't as strong, or is deficient from normal in some way, and it's often in a way that is unpredictable depending on the cause of their immune deficiency (AIDS, cancer, radiation treatment, auto-immune diseases). There aren't enough people with these conditions to do testing that is as extensive in these special groups. That's why sometimes vaccines have unpredictable side effects in these people, and they really should be more careful about getting vaccines.

Some people are also allergic to some ingredients of a vaccine, like chicken eggs or some antibiotics, and don't know it until they get the vaccine and have a life-threatening reaction. We don't do allergy tests on everyone to find out if they're allergic to these things, so it is possible that the first exposure to some of the things added to a vaccine could be upon vaccination. This is an over-reaction of the immune system, and it shows how sometimes we can't predict what will happen when we expose the body to a new substance, whether it is peanut butter or a vaccine. The only way to know if a person will be allergic to the vaccine (if they haven't been exposed to all part of it before) is to give it to them, just like the only way to know if your kid is allergic to peanuts is to try and see. Every person is different and we can only estimate what will happen in MOST people, not ALL. All medicines have a risk of you being allergic to them and having a severe reaction--so do all foods. To not use them because there is a very slight risk of danger would mean that we wouldn't have any medicine available to treat disease.

Here's a list from the FDA on additives in vaccines and their health risks:
http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/VaccineSafety/ucm187810.htm

Thanks for letting us know about the type O blood thing, Pam. I have type O so I'm even more glad I got it! I also work with parents of young kids and live with a type 1 diabetic (all sensitive groups), so I wouldn't want to get it and spread it to them.

One thing I'm worried about is the fact it was made so fast, how do they know that it has not got serious side effects that take a long time to show up?

I haven't gotten it and I don't plan too. There are other people out there who need the vaccine more than me, assuming that it actually works. I never get flu shots or anything like that because I'm able to fight off illness pretty well. Maybe one day when the vaccine is 100% effective at protecting you from the flu with no bad side effects I'll get it. :p I just try to avoid shots when I can.

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
tonyshuman wrote:
The things they add to the vaccine have all been tested and proven to be safe in people.
I think that can be debatable , if they were so safe no one would have reactions to any shots given and there are numerous reported cases of reactions from mild reactions, to severe reactions, to death.

Well, peanuts and bee stings can cause mild to severe reactions, including death, too. I still consider them safe.

I am hoping to get the H1N1 vaccine, if it ever is available here. There have been a couple of clinics, the first ones were only for pregnant women, then they were doing them on days I had to work. The H1N1 vaccine is made exactly the same way as the seasonal flu virus. If the virus had appeared a few months earlier than it did, it would have been included in with this year's seasonal vaccine.

I have asthma. I have read tht H1N1 is especially hard on the lungs, and drastically increases the chances of developing a co-infection of pneumonia. My lungs are stressed enough already, I really do not need this to add to my problems. My MIL is a nurse, she got the vaccine and had absolutely no side effects from it, though she has seemMANY people hospitalized from the actual flu.

I am sort of tired of people who have had the H1N1 saying "it wasn't really that bad," just because it wasn't bad for you doesn't mean it won't be bad for someone else. If it wasn't that bad, people wouldn't be dying from it! More people have died from getting the flu than have died from getting the vaccine.

I was sort of so-so on getting the vaccine, until a man I was acquainted with died from it. He was my age (34), and had NO underlying health conditions.

tonyshuman wrote:
Thanks for letting us know about the type O blood thing, Pam. I have type O so I'm even more glad I got it! I also work with parents of young kids and live with a type 1 diabetic (all sensitive groups), so I wouldn't want to get it and spread it to them.

My daughter had gotten the flu shot last year and didn't get sick. Two years ago, her medical bills from a bad bout with the flu totaled over $5,000.

Unfortunately, she didn't get a flu show this year :(

Pam

I have decided not to get the flu shot I got the regular flu shot last year.
But because of mold and stuff in the air I decided to get it due to hurricane.

I think the H1N1 is not as bad if your not in the risk group. I am in the age of getting it bad but I don't come in contact with a lot of people.

For me the risk out way the benefits.

But again its your decision

I do want to say over 40,000 American die from the normal flu each year also. so the swine flu just effects a different age group.

They give out the seasonal flu shot and the H1N1 shot on my college campus free to students. I got the seasonal flu mist and I'm planning to go in for the H1N1 any day now. Before the vaccine was available, well over 700 students on my campus were affected by H1N1, including a number of my friends. We only lost one student life, and the majority of the others only lasted 3 days, but honestly I do not have the time to be sick. The risk category is people under the age of 24 for H1N1 and being in such close contact with so many young adults on a daily basis, there's just no reason for me not to.

I had never gotten a seasonal flu vaccine before college, but this is my second year getting one. I just don't have the time to get sick so I'm doing all I can to avoid it.

Steve got the H1N1 vaccine last weekend- he was offered it because he suffers from asthma, and he had the regular flu vaccine a few weeks ago.

He had a lump on his arm that felt like a bruise- he said his arm was achey like he'd overworked it, and he felt tired a few hours afterwards. By the next day he was completely fine and his arm back to normal. This is pretty much the same reaction he gets with the regular flu vaccine every year though, lol. They told him at the time that he may experience mild localised reactions like that.

If I was offered it, I'd definitely take it. As it's been said many more people have died from the actual virus than from the vaccine, and any kind of flu is nasty enough. Steve was terrfied that he might catch H1N1 and be unable to work for weeks, and being self-employed, he didn't want to take that risk.

My mum is worrying because she wants me to have the vaccine but they're only offering it to people who are considered to be 'at risk' and I'm not. She's freaking out because I seem to catch every little thing going and she doesn't think I ever fully recovered from Glandular Fever, and she worries that I'd get really sick if I caught it. She has had it because she has Chron's disease and is considered to be immunocompromised, and my dad had it because he lives with somebody who is considered to be immunocompromised. So, the 3 people I see the most have had it, and I haven't. I reckon I'm fairly safe at least, lol!

Back