Summers Spay Please Help Me!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lover_Of_Lopz wrote:
We have talked to the vet and have chose to get her fixed as planed. I will make shore she gets a lot to eat the night before we take her in (she cant have food in the morning)she is going in at 8:00am and will pick her us around 3:00pm so please say a prayer for her.

---Nicky

:pray::angelandbunny::bunnyheart:bunnieskiss:goodluck:big kiss::panic::weee::in tears:
How long did they say to fast her?

THis vet is wrong; you shouldn't have it done

a rabbit's GI tract needs to be kept moving. they shouldn't be fasted ; they cannot vomit
Please listen to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lover_Of_Lopz wrote:
12 hours but i am goimg to let her eat a lot of treets and food right before 8:00pm

Don't give her treats, that could set her GI tract off, but definitely give her dinner and hay, and she can have water all night.

Some vets do like to have a totally empty upper tract, I forget their reasoning. But the usual is just two hours before surgery. If they don't get to the surgery until noon, and she hasn't eaten since 8 PM, and she won't eat until the pain subsides, that could be way too long to wait. You can compromise and give her enough hay to last until 5 or 6 AM.

Just make sure she gets pain meds to take home with you. The shot they give them before leaving is never enough. Insist on that one!

Who is your vet?

sas :clover:

Lover_Of_Lopz wrote:
she cant have food 12hours before she goes in is that ok?

--nicky

Basically...If a vet even mentioned a rabbit fast before surgery I would run a mile.

Rabbits cannot vomit, so there are not a lot of good reasons at all to fast. Besides it being pointless, it is also a HUGE risk. At the best of times a 12 hour fast might cause GI issues, but take into account the surgery too and you've got a rabbit that's got to fight much harder just to make it through!

I know it's really hard when you're trying to do something for the good of your rabbit and you're being told it's wrong, but you have to understand the risk this vet is going to put your rabbit through. And make sure you get pain meds. Good luck!

I agree that if this vet thinks rabbits can throw up (which is the usual reason for withholding food before anesthesia), I wouldn't go to him. Rabbits pretty much are unable to throw up, which is something every vet should know. Please consider finding another vet.

If you still do decide to go with this vet, give Summer food up until 2 hours before. If there's no food in the stomach, it's even harder for the GI tract to get going again after anesthesia.

Did the vet say she can't have food before surgery or did the desk person? It's really important to know who. The desk people don't always know about what rabbits need and are just used to cats and dogs. My vet not only wants rabbits to eat all the way up to when they are broughtin but if they have to wait a while before surgery they'll make sure the rabbit has hay to munch. I hadn't thought to put food in with Dora and she came back with a carrier full of hay from the vet.

If it is the vet saying that Summer needs to fast before being brought in to surgery, DO NOT bring her there. He doesn't know enough about rabbits. There must be someone better in your area. It is WORTH IT to wait, save up more money if you need to, and go to a vet that knows more about rabbits.

naturestee wrote:
Did the vet say she can't have food before surgery or did the desk person? It's really important to know who. The desk people don't always know about what rabbits need and are just used to cats and dogs. My vet not only wants rabbits to eat all the way up to when they are broughtin but if they have to wait a while before surgery they'll make sure the rabbit has hay to munch. I hadn't thought to put food in with Dora and she came back with a carrier full of hay from the vet.

If it is the vet saying that Summer needs to fast before being brought in to surgery, DO NOT bring her there. He doesn't know enough about rabbits. There must be someone better in your area. It is WORTH IT to wait, save up more money if you need to, and go to a vet that knows more about rabbits.
the desk person

We have took our rabbits their for stuff before and they were good I think she will be fine I am going to feed her up until the fix the desk person told me not to feed 12 hours before not the vet he is a good guy and knows how to do rabbits :bunny24

Sometimes the desk people just say 12 hrs for evrey animal
you should let the vet know about it..

I really hope that it goes well for both of you...:)

If the decision to go ahead feels right to you "in your gut" it will probably be fine. If not, you can always "postpone" and do more thought/research.

Dr. Allan does all her surgeries in the morning. She does not give food during the pre-surgery period at the office (usually no more than a couple of hours) but has you bring hay and pellets and (if you want) greens to be given when they are returned to the cage for recovery. Please take food and hay and ask that this be done. Also, make sure you get pain medication.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Kathy Smith

I would guess that she would need a short recovery time at the vets to ensure that she has recovered sufficiently from her anaesthetic, so she may not come home that early. (so just be prepared for that).

Dr. Allan usually likes to keep them 3-4 hours after a spay (or other invasive surgery) to monitor them. Dentals are the only thing I ever bring a bunny home "right after"... and even then I sit with them in an exam room until they are up and moving about.

Regarding an earlier comment about laser surgery: there is only one vet in my area who offers this option. I believe it adds about $100 to her already high prices (though she is an excellent surgeon!). Not everyone is going to be able to afford that ... and it doesn't make you a "bad parent" if you can't!

Kathy Smith

Another note on the laser surgery- my two main rabbit vets are at odds over whether it makes a difference in rabbits or not. One (the older guy I like better) says their skin is so thin that it doesn't make much difference for blood loss and he hasn't seen any noticeable improvement in healing or pain amount, whereas he's seen it make a difference for cats and dogs. The other one does think it makes a difference for rabbits and recommends it.

I've had two of my girls spayed with the laser and didn't see much difference. That could be because of their personalities- one was an older bunny used to dental pain and freaked out about the abdominal pain and needed stronger meds, the other was an adolescent who was more upset about being kept in her cage. A third, Dora, was judged too small and skinny (1.2 lb Brittania Petite) for laser surgery but she was ready to run and jump from the moment she came home anyway so I doubt she'd have seen a difference.

When my old foster, Berry-Boo, was spayed, they had me fast her 30-60 minutes prior to her spay. They are rabbit savvy vets, too. I remember a vet (not the same ones) who mentioned that hay is OK, but try and not feed pellets or water right before surgery. I think the water was because the urinary system is so close, and they don't want the rabbit to wee on the incision during surgery! I've never had a problem with 30-60 minutes of bunny-fasting. They were speedy about her spay, too, so she got food right away once she was up and about.

Other than that, I wish you and Summer good luck! :clover:

Back