Summers Spay Please Help Me!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lover_Of_Lopz

Reaction score
My vet has done rabbit spays and has lost none of them don't know if he is a savvy but will summer be ok? She is going in on the 10th they have not done very many rabbits but one of their staff has had their bunn done their so I guess that is good right? Can someone help me I don't want to loose my bunn but I am paying for it myself and cant afford a lot of $$$ the one I am going to is $100.00 and it has taken me months to save up that much......If I need to take her to a different vet I will.Can someone please help me!!

----Nicky:nerves1

Did you get the article I sent you?

No one can promise Summer will be ok, but we all hope she will be. Have you asked at your vets how many rabbits they spay every year and the success rate of those spays?I know you said they have lost none of them, but who was it who said that?

Do you know how many bunnies they have spayed? Will they prescribe you pain meds?

Basically, have you (or someone in your family) called them up and asked them the questions you have to ask to check they are savvy?

YES they will give us pain meds if we want them they are taught to do bunns when I got my bunn summer the rescue place gave me their address with a few others and told me they are a good place to go.....

Well that sounds hopeful :) There are no guarantees, but equally, if the vets are decent there is no obvious reason for something to go wrong.

Here is another article

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html

there is another factor also. It is easier on an animal if laser surgery is done. much quicker, less invasive, quicker recovery time.I have taken 100's of rabbit from our shelter to be spayed/neutered at one vet clinic here
they do laser ,; the rabbits are not stitched but glued, the incisons line is usually neat and narrow.

we have never lost one.
I would call the rescue and talk to them today or soon about your concerns and possibly someone from there can point you in the direction of the best of the bunch.
So you need to be concerned with numbers of rabbits done , type of anesthesia pre-op instructions , whether they use laser and the overall feel you get from the place .

A lot of vets here in La crosse say they are rabbit savvy and they are marginal at best.
Don't mean to alarm you but you have the choice of where you go and also when it is to be done. you can cancel any appt and talk to all the vets that you want.

you are hiring them!

Then I would call the rescue and try to get the nicest most rabbit saavy person on the line
ask for someone who has rabbits herself and ask her who she goes to for spays and neuters. Ask her who she feels is the best for spays .
You don't have to freak out because you do not have to go in 3 days if you feel uncomfortable
and just because a rabbit doesn't get laser doesn't mean that she won't recover. The recovery time just may be a little longer so you do want to get pain meds.

you can cancel and reschedule

I called and they told me they are not on the rabbit savvy list but they do remove both uterus and ovaries that is good right? and she cant have food 12hours before she goes in is that ok?

--nicky

No!!!

they are allowed to have food right up to the time of surgery which is an indicator that they are not rabbit saavy
If they are not on the a rabbit saavy list I would cancel the appt. and start over.

Just remember that this is not a medical emergency for her

you can take your time until you find a vet that you are really comfortable with .

Iknow that you are freaking out so try to just think that you don't have to hurry into this or go just because you made an appt.
Ok?

RED LIGHT!!
This is a prime example of why the details of the surgery should be discussed with the vet prior to the surgery. If the vet tells you to remove food, cancel and find a real doctor. If the front desk people said that, some training is in order. Ask about the procedure. Ask about pain meds. Ask about post-op follow up. You are paying for this....you have the right to know and you should know. It sounds as if you have some reservations about this doctor....go with your gut feeling. If you are uncomfortable with any aspect of the surgery....reschedule it until you are comfortable. I have one of the best vets in the world. I was uncomfortable with a surgery we had scheduled (not anything with the doctor, it was the general condition of the rabbit) so I postponed until I felt right. Get all the facts and make an informed decision.

Randy

Try not to make any rash decision. I completely agree that this vet is NOT suitable at all. However, there will be others who are.

If you do not spay her then she has a very high risk of getting uterine cancer. If that happens she will need a spay anyway, and will be ill, so less equipped to deal with surgery, and so more complications may arise. If you get it done when she is healthy then you are giving her the best shot.

I think your gut instinct to get her spayed is right (all my girls are spayed, which currently is 6), and it is scary, but so worthwhile to know that they won't get those cancers or any other hormonal problems, like endometriosis, or pyometra.

I agree that this vet may not know what they're doing. I really like the idea of calling the rescue and asking them for the best rabbit vet they know of. A spay may be expensive, but it will most likely save you money in the end because of the higher risk for cancer and behavioral problems in unspayed rabbits. I'm sure you can find a good vet that will take good care of Summer.:)

We have talked to the vet and have chose to get her fixed as planed. I will make shore she gets a lot to eat the night before we take her in (she cant have food in the morning)she is going in at 8:00am and will pick her us around 3:00pm so please say a prayer for her.

---Nicky

:pray::angelandbunny::bunnyheart:bunnieskiss:goodluck:big kiss::panic::weee::in tears::big wink:

Back